Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharged 4.9L 300

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0rey
I like to see all of the experimenting. That said, with the amount of physical time (your time is worth something isn't it?), Dyno time, Tuner time, cost of fabrication (Materials aren't cheap), and the cost of parts.......

A V8 would be cheaper, make more power and be soooooo much easier.
All true but if he is going to retain it as a daily driver in the end with a good tune the milage off boost he will be ahead getting better milage with the 6 and have good power in boost

Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
kc0rey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
All true but if he is going to retain it as a daily driver in the end with a good tune the milage off boost he will be ahead getting better milage with the 6 and have good power in boost
Huh? Mileage? There is little difference between the 4.9 and the 5.0 mileage wise.

I've been buying, building and driving these trucks since the 1970s.

Turbocharging a 4.9L is a time consuming, money consuming process that takes allot of skill. If you don't have the skill or the ability then you pay somebody who does. I'm not sure the results are worth all of that.

You can easily get the same gains with a 5.0 for thousands less and get the same or even slightly better fuel mileage.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Huh... Every 5.0 that I've driven got better mileage than the 3 4.9L's I've driven.. That's just my experience though. Every 4.9L I've driven got between 12-15 MPG. My F-150 back when it had a 4.9 in it got around 13mpg, but ran pretty good unless you were going 50+mph. I'd like to see what a turbo 5.0 would do in a truck and I think one day it might happen in my own F-150. It is already setup to take some boost except for the fuel pump setup. I'd need a sump and prolly an A1000 pump, but the rest is ready to go.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I look at it like this. i like to be different, im building this truck because to many other people give up on the 4.9 and go with a v8. I could swap a v8 into the truck for lets say $1500 or $2000. It will be a stock 5.0 or 5.8 with around 240hp and 300tq at the fly wheel. I have that much at the wheels of my 4.9l turbo and if i want more then i just turn up the boost and retune. Im sure if i paid someone todo all this for me then yeah it might not be worth it. My end goal of this truck is to have a truly unique one of a kind truck. I know some people will say if you take the money that your spending on this and put a V8 in it you might have had more power but then my truck would be like everyone else. Telling people the HP and TQ numbers my truck puts down and the reaction that i get is awesome. the exhaust shop i had help me with bending the pipe said it was one of the coolest projects that he has ever done, and my tunner said its the most interesting car that he has tuned and he has built and raced cars on pinks and tunes some of my friends 600+hp mustangs. Thats what im going for a truck that stands out in peoples minds. When it is all said and done i will have put so much time and money into this truck that it will be crazy. but thats what i like todo build stuff thats different. Im starting to make carbon fiber parts and when i get better at it the whole front end of the truck will be carbon fiber along with alot of the interior. its just a cool project for me and i wanted to share it with everyone on here. So, please keep the you could have built a V8 off of the thread. I know i could have but i didnt want to and this build isnt for everyone or for people not willing to do alot of custom stuff. It takes alot of work and alot of time and even more money. i have been working on this for over a year and it still isnt perfect but its getting there.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
Originally Posted by mcpaul05
I look at it like this. i like to be different, im building this truck because to many other people give up on the 4.9 and go with a v8. I could swap a v8 into the truck for lets say $1500 or $2000. It will be a stock 5.0 or 5.8 with around 240hp and 300tq at the fly wheel. I have that much at the wheels of my 4.9l turbo and if i want more then i just turn up the boost and retune. Im sure if i paid someone todo all this for me then yeah it might not be worth it. My end goal of this truck is to have a truly unique one of a kind truck. I know some people will say if you take the money that your spending on this and put a V8 in it you might have had more power but then my truck would be like everyone else. Telling people the HP and TQ numbers my truck puts down and the reaction that i get is awesome. the exhaust shop i had help me with bending the pipe said it was one of the coolest projects that he has ever done, and my tunner said its the most interesting car that he has tuned and he has built and raced cars on pinks and tunes some of my friends 600+hp mustangs. Thats what im going for a truck that stands out in peoples minds. When it is all said and done i will have put so much time and money into this truck that it will be crazy. but thats what i like todo build stuff thats different. Im starting to make carbon fiber parts and when i get better at it the whole front end of the truck will be carbon fiber along with alot of the interior. its just a cool project for me and i wanted to share it with everyone on here. So, please keep the you could have built a V8 off of the thread. I know i could have but i didnt want to and this build isnt for everyone or for people not willing to do alot of custom stuff. It takes alot of work and alot of time and even more money. i have been working on this for over a year and it still isnt perfect but its getting there.
I am not putting you down. In fact, I have beacoup respect for what you are doing. It is cutting edge and your ability to pull it off is very cool. Your skill will pay off for you one day if it hasn't done so yet.

I am saying that the direction you have chosen, while very cool, is not for everybody. The same power can be had for much less money and much less skill.

Every year, new projects are started that never get finished because the builder lacks the funds or skill to pull it off. Then the project sits in the garage or yard for years until it is passed on to the next guy.

You pulled it off. Very few (including myself) could.

Nice project by the way. And thanks for posting it here. I like to see what the smart guys are doing.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by kc0rey
I am not putting you down. In fact, I have beacoup respect for what you are doing. It is cutting edge and your ability to pull it off is very cool. Your skill will pay off for you one day if it hasn't done so yet.

I am saying that the direction you have chosen, while very cool, is not for everybody. The same power can be had for much less money and much less skill.

Every year, new projects are started that never get finished because the builder lacks the funds or skill to pull it off. Then the project sits in the garage or yard for years until it is passed on to the next guy.

You pulled it off. Very few (including myself) could.

Nice project by the way. And thanks for posting it here. I like to see what the smart guys are doing.
thanks i know no one here is putting what i have done down. I just wanted to keep this thread about the build and not turn it into you should have just built a V8. Thanks for all the questions and comments keep them coming as soon as i get my turbo back it will be back on the dyno and i will post new numbers.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
mcpaul05, I went out to a friend of mines house last weekend. I forgot his girlfriend has a 6.5L Chevy so I went and checked it out. The turbo only had exhaust from one bank running to it, the other side was going straight out. Just thought I'd post that up. Thats why they sound like a gasser when they rev I guess.

Have you checked your backpressure vs boost pressure?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
mcpaul05, I went out to a friend of mines house last weekend. I forgot his girlfriend has a 6.5L Chevy so I went and checked it out. The turbo only had exhaust from one bank running to it, the other side was going straight out. Just thought I'd post that up. Thats why they sound like a gasser when they rev I guess.

Have you checked your backpressure vs boost pressure?
No I havent checked the back pressure vs boost pressure. I do know with the way the exhaust outlet on the GM4 turbo is it does cause some problems with back pressure at higher RPM and i know if i want to start making crazy HP numbers another turbo will need to be used. Ill look into doing a test either on this next dyno run or after i do the Cat delete. thanks didnt think to do that and see what it was doing.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
No I havent checked the back pressure vs boost pressure. I do know with the way the exhaust outlet on the GM4 turbo is it does cause some problems with back pressure at higher RPM and i know if i want to start making crazy HP numbers another turbo will need to be used. Ill look into doing a test either on this next dyno run or after i do the Cat delete. thanks didnt think to do that and see what it was doing.
The only reason I asked is b/c after verifying that they only ran on one bank of the 6.5L, I was wondering if running all 4.9L of fury to it would cause any backpressure concerns with the little exhaust housing/turbine wheel setup. Do you happen to know the size of the turbine housing and wheel? T3? T4?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
The only reason I asked is b/c after verifying that they only ran on one bank of the 6.5L, I was wondering if running all 4.9L of fury to it would cause any backpressure concerns with the little exhaust housing/turbine wheel setup. Do you happen to know the size of the turbine housing and wheel? T3? T4?
it is a T3 turbo specs are .60 A/R turbine / .70 A/R compressor w/46 trim. I could be off because i couldnt find specs for it online so i messured it and did the math, so i could be wrong but it should be close. its a large T3 thats for sure.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
How bout runnin the efi dual exhaust manifolds and runnin 2 of the ihi turbos off of a 2.3 turbo coupe?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
How bout runnin the efi dual exhaust manifolds and runnin 2 of the ihi turbos off of a 2.3 turbo coupe?
that might just work find the specs on the turbos and see what the max CFM they will flow, and see if they will flow what you need them to.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Been awhile. lol

I remember you saying you will post a video on you tube in the next few weeks on your earlier posts. Have you posted at all. Iw ould love to see this truck idle and in action.

Also, would it be more efficient to run 2 smaller than 1 bigger turbo? Why not just open up your exhaust more or port your head and intake and exhaust valves to get more flow so you dont have to worry about it?

You can also do some sanding on the head. I have read about going to the valve guides and shaving them down a few MM to more of a football shape for better aerodynamics, and also smoothing out the air channels and making them more of a wider bend so there is less obstruction.

I am starting to get my parts and i am going to start my own turbo project ASAP. I ordered a whole new fuel injection system FULLY customizable every few 100 rpm levels for fuel to air ratio and it also allows me to run dual throttle or triple throttle bodies. I think im going to go with dual for now. Not sure if you have but i hear Clifford headers also open up the exhaust a bit more if you want more high end torque.

Anyone heard anything about Aussiespeed? i heard they specialize in Inline 6 such as Clifford but i can never seem to get a response through email.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
it is a T3 turbo specs are .60 A/R turbine / .70 A/R compressor w/46 trim. I could be off because i couldnt find specs for it online so i messured it and did the math, so i could be wrong but it should be close. its a large T3 thats for sure.
Your precise specs are as follows for the T3...

T3-S60 (Garret)- Compressor: Inducer (in) 1.900
(mm)48.260
Exducer (in) 2.367
(mm)60.122
Trim 64

Since its a 1994 its model number should be WH1C or HX35 (8 Blade). Compressor wheel on both is 56mm/83mm, both compressor outlets are 2.5"vband, Compressor connection on WH1C is a Large V-Band Clamp, on HX35 its a Large Interna C-Clip. Both turbine connections are bolted. Turbine size of both is 12cm^2. Maybe that helps a bit, was doing some research and came across that info of exact measurements from Mopar and Dodge.

Forgot to add that 12cm^2 equals 0.89 A/R

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nitesaber
Been awhile. lol

I remember you saying you will post a video on you tube in the next few weeks on your earlier posts. Have you posted at all. Iw ould love to see this truck idle and in action.

Also, would it be more efficient to run 2 smaller than 1 bigger turbo? Why not just open up your exhaust more or port your head and intake and exhaust valves to get more flow so you dont have to worry about it?

You can also do some sanding on the head. I have read about going to the valve guides and shaving them down a few MM to more of a football shape for better aerodynamics, and also smoothing out the air channels and making them more of a wider bend so there is less obstruction.

I am starting to get my parts and i am going to start my own turbo project ASAP. I ordered a whole new fuel injection system FULLY customizable every few 100 rpm levels for fuel to air ratio and it also allows me to run dual throttle or triple throttle bodies. I think im going to go with dual for now. Not sure if you have but i hear Clifford headers also open up the exhaust a bit more if you want more high end torque.

Anyone heard anything about Aussiespeed? i heard they specialize in Inline 6 such as Clifford but i can never seem to get a response through email.
I remember about the videos. I have not had a chance for videos, but my wife just ordered me the motorsports Go Pro camera so i will have some soon.

To be honest im not sure what would be better 1 or two turbos i guess it really depends on what your going for. i know for right now one is good for what i'm doing. as far as the exhaust i have a cat delete pipe coming from summit then i need to weld on a new bung for my wide band o2 sensor and also my new external waste gate so i know for a fact my boost wont go past 11psi so i can just stand on the gas and not have to watch the boost gauge like i do now.

I have a new head that im sending off to have ported and polished and oversized valves put in it. I also have a 5.8L throttle body that im putting on it. the upper and lower intakes will be port matched so i can get as much flow as i can from stock parts.

I look forward to seeing your fuel system set up. I know as this build gets further on i will have to upgrade everything but that wont be for awhile i want to get another DD before i go completely crazy with this truck.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 4.9L 300