Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior User

racincowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Magnefine Inline trans filter Any good?

I am considering installing a Magnefine inline external trans filter.

The question I have are they any good?

Any risk of cooking the trans if plugged?

Is it really necessary?

Or is it just better to keep my services at 25k and leave it at that?

Thanks for the help guys

Lance
99 PSD Crew Cab dually 4x4 (built 7/98), 4in straight exhaust, AFE II intake w/ petes cover, DP Tuner 40t, 60t, 80t, 80E, 120 race, OBA, CCV, 6.0 trans cooler, Isspro old school boost, pyro and trans temp., Warn Hubs
Thanks Clay@ Riff Raff Diesel Performance
WWW.pistonswild.com
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Do both.

You can't have "too clean" transmission fluid.

I have taken it one step further and added a spin-on type filter with added neodymium magnets, but MagneFine is an easier way to go and has Ford's blessing. They send one out that MUST be installed with each Ford re-manufactured transmission.

They come in three sizes. 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. Our SuperDutys are 3/8".

I believe they are also ideal to use in power steering applications (but I put a spin-on there, too).

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
As Pop said. Ford MANDATES the installation of a Magnafine with any transmission replacement. Of course that has more to do with trapping any metal parts that may have been left over in the lines or cooler from whatever event caused the tranny replacement in the first place, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a good filter to stick in there.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
That Magnafine filter sounds like a nice added feature for protection like Chris and Pop said but I'm eyeballing that filtering setup Bob at Dieselsite has, its more money but not only having to change out the filter but be able to do clean trans flushes per his shutoff valves, I like that kit alot, probably my next investment.
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Elder User

Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big poppa View Post
That Magnafine filter sounds like a nice added feature for protection like Chris and Pop said but I'm eyeballing that filtering setup Bob at Dieselsite has, its more money but not only having to change out the filter but be able to do clean trans flushes per his shutoff valves, I like that kit alot, probably my next investment.
I just bought a couple of them on ebay tonight. Chump change in comparison, really. I'll put one on the power steering return line for sure. And maybe one on the transmission as well till I can get the kit from Bob that I've been eyeballing as well.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynenap View Post
I just bought a couple of them on ebay tonight. Chump change in comparison, really. I'll put one on the power steering return line for sure. And maybe one on the transmission as well till I can get the kit from Bob that I've been eyeballing as well.
Might have to look into a couple of those filters, can't have enough protection, I'll put one on my wifes Expy..
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
...sorry guys,I know the risk/issues that come with doing a flush in our trannies,(mine has 200,000 and I don't know how long its been since it was changed)that being said, if the fluid still looks good and doesn't smell burnt,would my trans.see a benefit of adding a good external filter like the one Dieselsite has,instead of changing the fluid?I know new fluid don't kill our trannies,but I do know transmission fluid is a detergent and removing the old stuff and adding new means theres a more powerfull detergent in there.Mine shifts good and solid,I have a BTS valve body,and a 6.0 cooler,I would like to change the fluid,but I can't afford a new trans either(worse case scenario)...Thoughts.....
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA AutoMeter UltraLite Series Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Dieselsite Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Prodigy P2 B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Post Fiend

At the very least Phil I would change the fluid, not nesesarily a flush, although IMO would be better for your trans, get the gunk out, just change it out with some fresh fluid, Mercon compatable. I just changed mine out this morning with some Vavoline Max Life Syn. and took it for a test ride and I could feel the difference, smoother right to the point shifts if you catch my drift. I'd do it.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
Yeah Mike,I want to and think I will.Towing the TT this year the shifts feel pretty good,temps stayed around the sweet spot,the fluid is not that dirty,but it's a little dirty.I know the stories of new detergent fluid cleaning out the build up and then losing the tranny shortly after that,but I know thats because it was on borrowed time before that and I guess I would rather at least expect it,on my terms right...LOL....Thanks
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA AutoMeter UltraLite Series Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Dieselsite Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Prodigy P2 B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior User

racincowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well from the sounds of it I should go ahead and order a few. One to install and then a few for my inventory of spare parts.

Mark K. any thoughts? Good, Bad or otherwise?
99 PSD Crew Cab dually 4x4 (built 7/98), 4in straight exhaust, AFE II intake w/ petes cover, DP Tuner 40t, 60t, 80t, 80E, 120 race, OBA, CCV, 6.0 trans cooler, Isspro old school boost, pyro and trans temp., Warn Hubs
Thanks Clay@ Riff Raff Diesel Performance
WWW.pistonswild.com
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, external, f150, f350, filter, ford, inline, install, installing, line, magnefine, output, ranger, trans, transmission