Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 AM
Senior User

drivembig is starting off with a positive reputation.
E40D line pressure check

Hi, I'm having a problem with my E40D (big suprise huh). Reverse engages fine, but sometimes (not always) when I shift into D the truck just revs up and will eventually start pulling. If I shift it down into 1 when this is happening it will engage and go.

I know that 1 runs a higher line pressure than D does, so I am assuming that maybe the line pressures are low. I found this on the web and was wondering how I could check my pressures?

At idle,
P.55-65
R.75-99
N.55-65
D.55-65
2.55-65
1.75-99

If I do find line pressures low, does that mean that the pump is bad? I had a new Torque converter and a shift kit installed a few months back. Could this be something caused from that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready for a trip pulling my 5'r for the first time and don't want any issues because of the junk E40D. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Post Fiend

Cuda_jim has a great reputation on FTE.Cuda_jim has a great reputation on FTE.Cuda_jim has a great reputation on FTE.Cuda_jim has a great reputation on FTE.Cuda_jim has a great reputation on FTE.
Everything you need is in the link......online shop manual.
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
Old 07-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Senior User

WOW....thanks for the great link there. A lot of usefull info in this one....
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
GateKeeper

DRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputation
Probably time for some updates or MSRP connector check.

An Introduction to the E4OD Transmission - Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivembig View Post
If I do find line pressures low, does that mean that the pump is bad?
If line is low in every position, then it probably is the pump. If it is fine in some and low in others you have leakage in the circuits that are pressurized when the pressures are low.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 AM
GateKeeper

DRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputationDRRXR has a superb reputation
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...ex.php?p=cauta

Type in E4OD
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If line is low in every position, then it probably is the pump. If it is fine in some and low in others you have leakage in the circuits that are pressurized when the pressures are low.

Well that kinda makes since to me. Reverse engages very well and pulls very well. When I shift into D I never really feel it engage like it does in Reverse.

When I had the shift kit installed, I wonder if maybe the tranny guy didn't get the valve body tight and sealed properly.

He had a computer that he hooked up when I first took it in and it would read the line pressures, the shift commands and many other things. I is a really nice computer. I think I will take it by there on tuesday and have him hook it back up and drive it down the road and see what we find.

This didn't start happening till he worked on it. If the pressures were low, shouldn't it be setting a DTC?

Thanks for all the responses and the help. This forum is got to be the best on the web.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 AM
GateKeeper

You would think so. So they did a shift kit too. Okay did they replace the cooler too?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The PCM doesn't know what line pressure is. It only knows what it tells the pressure control solenoid to set line pressure at. It could be commanding 200 PSI and you may only get 50 PSI and the PCM won't know that.

If you take that chart and compare line pressure in the computer it will be right every single time, whether or not line pressure is correct or not.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRXR View Post
You would think so. So they did a shift kit too. Okay did they replace the cooler too?

Which cooler do you mean? Are you talking about the cooler in front of the radiator? If so, its the same one that was on there when I got the truck.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:26 AM
GateKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivembig View Post
Which cooler do you mean? Are you talking about the cooler in front of the radiator? If so, its the same one that was on there when I got the truck.

Thanks.
The transmission cooler near the radiator. It should have been replaced when the other work was done. If it was a internal trans cooler (in radiator) tubes should have been pulled and a external high effeciency cooler tied to the tubes. Then bull plug the ones at the radiator.

Fines can get trap in there and recirculate back to the pump and valves. There is no way to clean them right.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior User

Yea, I already have the external cooler. Thanks for the help
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Junior User

Cratos is starting off with a positive reputation.
what should the line pressure in the cooler lines be ? i see 30 with out any cooler hooked up just loop the lines with a t fitting for a pressure gauge.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Post Fiend

The pressure in the cooler lines should be around 15-30 PSI.

Line pressure is a name for a specific pressure in the transmission. Line pressure isn't found in the cooler lines.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 200psi, 73, check, drive, e40d, e4od, f350, high, line, location, pressure, pressures, size, specification, tranny, transmission