Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Could I really need 8 new injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could I really need 8 new injectors?

I've been thinking I have a fuel pressure problem, so i changed the ICP sensor and put a fuel pressure gauge on my filter housing to monitor fuel pressure while driving. The pressure stays at about 54 psi and drops to about 48 psi at WOT, then jumps back up after a second or two. So i brought it to a mechanic to check it out. He seems to think ALL my injectors are scarred from a lack of fuel pressure at some point in the past. The truck doesn't throw any codes and i now have a TS Performance chip on it and on the highest setting (140 HP), the truck actually feels like it's starving for fuel and doesn't throw much smoke. On any setting less than that, there isn't any smoke. Oil, air, and fuel filters are all new. The truck has had the in-the-tank-filters removed before i bought the truck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm just not sure if $3500 for 8 new injectors is actually going to fix my truck. The truck runs great as far as start-up, idle, and driveability. It's just noticeably sluggish compared to 2 other identical bone-stock company trucks I drive at work.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...r-mystery.html

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did he use the Magic 8 ball from the 70's for his analysis? Wow.

If your fuel pressure is low, I first have to ask: what location are you using to get your measurements? Our trucks typically are happiest around 65psi, so maybe you could start with a new fuel pump first. Get your fuel pressure up to 65ish first and go from there.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 PM
mjs41505
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a clue what your problem is, so I'm not gonna guess and send you on a wild goose chase, but that price is way to high for a set of injectors.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Did he use the Magic 8 ball from the 70's for his analysis? Wow.

If your fuel pressure is low, I first have to ask: what location are you using to get your measurements? Our trucks typically are happiest around 65psi, so maybe you could start with a new fuel pump first. Get your fuel pressure up to 65ish first and go from there.
I know he used to work at Ford and I think it is one that they use at the dealership. I'm reading the fuel pressure off of the back side of the fuel filter housing upper test port on driverside.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Unless you fuel pressure has been lower than that you should be fine. 48psi is with in Fords specs for these, 52 psi +/- 4psi.

Have you been experiencing any other issues, or just "lower" fuel pressure?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mjs41505
I don't have a clue what your problem is, so I'm not gonna guess and send you on a wild goose chase, but that price is way to high for a set of injectors.
I find it hard to belive I need 8 when the truck runs as smooth as it does. It's just lacking power. I haul my tractor that weighs about 12500lbs including trailer and the truck can barley keep it going 70mph in overdrive and my company truck {01f2504door2wheel-bone stock} will pull it all day 85&90 without breaking a sweat. So I dont know what to do.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess anything is possible, but it is hard for me to believe that you would need to replace all of the injectors. How many miles on the current ones?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Unless you fuel pressure has been lower than that you should be fine. 48psi is with in Fords specs for these, 52 psi +/- 4psi.

Have you been experiencing any other issues, or just "lower" fuel pressure?
Sometimes when Ive been running my truck hard it feels like when I'm laying into the throttle to pass someone the truck hesitates and then starts taking off after a couple of seconds and acts like it should. I really feel like this hesitation issue could be my problem if I could figure out what is causing it.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Have you seen your fuel pressure when that happens?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 00Dave
I guess anything is possible, but it is hard for me to believe that you would need to replace all of the injectors. How many miles on the current ones?
113000. Ive got 278000 on the original injectors in our company truck. No problems with it.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Have you seen your fuel pressure when that happens?
Sure have. when I normally accelerate the PSI drops about 2-3 but when this happens the pressure doesnt move.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
If the fuel pressure isn't dropping then I think we might rule that out. Those pressure won't hurt anything. If you want to completely rule it out you can shim it up to 62-65 psi.

So at this point it seems to be a lack of power? No codes or anything?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:54 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
If the fuel pressure isn't dropping then I think we might rule that out. Those pressure won't hurt anything. If you want to completely rule it out you can shim it up to 62-65 psi.

So at this point it seems to be a lack of power? No codes or anything?
Can you reference me or tell me how to shim it. Right. The only time I've gotten a code was when Ihad the chip on and would not get out of the throttle. it said somethig like pressure higher or lower than recomended. Not sure exactly if thats right. Never any codes when set to stock. The mechanic did say that after driving the truck for a while the boost was only getting up to 13psi and Ive already cheked for leaks on intake and exaust side

Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
I figured if it wasnt getting fuel it wouldnt make the boost.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
I havent messed with the IPR yet could this be part of the problem? Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Quick Reply: Could I really need 8 new injectors?