Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why does my truck not smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WilsonTaylor
The receipt I got with my DP-tuner says that my vehicle is a 1999 F250 A/T with 6637, 4" Exhaust, Gauges, 6.0L IC, JW VB, 35" tires. Well, that obviously is wrong, so I have emailed DP-tuner to see if that might be the problem. At least if it is the problem, then it will be easy to fix. I'm considering pulling the chip and putting the Bully-Dog back, clearing the codes and see if that makes any difference on the codes. I think I'll wait until at least tomorrow to see if I hear from DP.

Did someone convert your truck to manual transmission. I don't know if DP looks up your vehicle by vin or what. Sounds like you are on to something here. Happy 4th of July! Reps to Jim.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if DP looks up vehicles by the VIN, but when I look it up on the internet, it comes back with a 2000 F350 and does not specify the tranny or accessory package. I did give them the mods that I had done, but I am sure that I would not have told them that I had a modified valve body

Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Well hopefully you can roll some coal soon!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dp tunes per your ecm code not by vin. Try running without a tuner then try with the bully dog. Its always better to start with a blank slate.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dp tuned my truck by the vin number,always wondered if that is part of my problems

Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Originally Posted by rbaker6336
Dp tuned my truck by the vin number,always wondered if that is part of my problems
this issue with this could be that you have a pcm in the same "family" but not exactly the same

Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
I thought that I would update everyone on the status of my truck. I sent an email to DP-Tuner on Sunday (7/4), not really expecting a reply. I got a reply Sunday evening from James saying that they were closed on Monday to celebrate Independence Day, but that he would check on it as soon as he could. We exchanged phone calls on Tuesday morning, and determined that I had gotten the wrong tunes (automatic instead of standard transmission) due to a mix up between Riffraff and DP-Tuner. The tunes were expecting information from the transmission that it could not supply. They needed my PCM # to be able to program it properly, so Tuesday night I removed the PCM, took the chip out and got the code. I sent the info to them about 10pm on Tuesday. I got a reply from Jody at 4:30 Wednesday morning (or at least that was when the computer said I got it ), saying that he would have the tunes to me in 24 hours. I got the new tunes this morning (along with an apology for not getting them to me sooner). I spent most of the day getting my laptop to connect to the network, so I could transfer the files to it. I finally got it communicating properly, got the files transferred and went out to re-install the chip. I got it re-installed, loaded the new tunes, and then took it for a spin around the block. It runs like a scalded dog. I actually heard my waste gate open for the first time ever. Just playing around with it, I find that the waste gate opens about 18 if I ease up to it. If I romp on it, I can get it up to 23 or 24. I have determined that 80 hp economy will probably be as much as I typically run, but 120 hp race is fun for occasional use.

I still want to play with the AE, to get some base line values and see what codes, if any, I generate now.

Just for the record, I am very satisfied with the customer service of DP-Tuner. We are all human and therefore imperfect. We all make mistakes, but Jody stepped up to the plate to fix a problem that probably was not his. He responded in a timely and professional manner to get the customer (me) taken care of. I heartily recommend him and his business.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Glad to hear you got it fixed. How long have you been driving around with the incorrect programing?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Originally Posted by WilsonTaylor
......but Jody stepped up to the plate to fix a problem........

He always does.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
FYI... You did not hear the wastegate opening...

You will never hear a stock wastegate on a 7.3... turbo stall is what you heard.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdpower
Glad to hear you got it fixed. How long have you been driving around with the incorrect programing?
Maybe a week. When the truck did not run better with the new chip, I started trying to find out why. I was fairly sure that it was a fuel issue, I just didn't know where the issue was. That was why I originally started looking at the fuel filter. I knew that the truck did not smoke with the new engine and the Bully Dog chip, so I thought that there was some other issue with the engine. I had noticed that the invoice said that it was for an automatic transmission, but I did not realize that the chip was expecting information back from the tranny. Live and Learn.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
FYI... You did not hear the wastegate opening...

You will never hear a stock wastegate on a 7.3... turbo stall is what you heard.
Well, I guess that means I need a wicked wheel...... or maybe a 38R. Hmmmmmm

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Joe is probably right, here is a you tube video that illustrates turbo surge:

YouTube - 1999 Ford F350 7.3 Compressor Surge

Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

glad you got it back together and working right

Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdpower
Joe is probably right, here is a you tube video that illustrates turbo surge:
I did not hear mine chirp like the video, but the boost does drop off dramatically. I did not keep trying to build boost when it happened though. Turbo surge is caused by the boost being forced back through the intake side of the turbo, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Why does my truck not smoke?