1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Redundant Audio Controls - 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigNiner19
Hate to dig up an old post. But it is a good one. Quick question. Is a donor wheel necessary for this installation? OR could one simply purchase part #7C3Z9C888AA (right audio control buttons) and go from there? My 2008 F250 XLT already has cruise control, but no audio controls?

OR

Is the reason for getting a donor wheel to have a harness that has both cruise control and audio together?

Thanks for any clarification
thats what i did, works great

Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The donor wheel is necessary to get the harness.

You can check your wheel first to see if it has the correct harness, just pop out the right plate.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 AM
akdoggie
New User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
The donor wheel is necessary to get the harness.

You can check your wheel first to see if it has the correct harness, just pop out the right plate.
I realize this is an old thread, but I also see that it has been restarted. No one lists the pigtail number that you need. Everyone says you have to buy a harness. NO you don't. You can add a WPT440 (which is updating to WPT1242) and that will give you the 6 pin plug you are needing. It is a Motorcraft plug, and is readily available. You can get them from $26 on up. We use the same plug on the Mustangs to get redundant audio controls. I just installed a factory navigation unit into my Mustang, doing this very thing. All functions work, including SYNC, and it is Sirius capable. I am using a 2013 Boss steering wheel, with full steering wheel controls on my 07 Mustang.

Another thing people have been questioning. If the head you had, doesn't have steering wheel controls enabled, the only way to do it is have a dealer or radio shop reprogram the head. If you have a single CD unit, just get a newer head (preferably with a starting # or 7 or 8 for the best units).

The Taurus/Sable radios work with radio controls, some Fusions, Crown Vics, F150's, MKZ's, etc are usable. The Mustang Shaker head can be used also, but has no radio controls on the radio head that would be used in the F150.

I'm not a new guy on here, just having problems with passwords today for some reason. I had to log in via Facebook. Hopefully the mods will figure out what happened.

You don't have to change any clock springs or anything. You would have to run 2 wires for the #18 and #19 pins on the radio head. If you have Sync, you add another pair for that. I hope this help you guys out some. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
As of my original writing of this post, the harness/connection was not available alone. Things may have changed in three years though.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
i just completed this today - an observation about the tilt wheel - there is 1 torx screw in the paddle to remove, otherwise the steps are identical.

I did notice that my audio controls do not work, but i also have a used control - so it may be that the switch itself isn't working properly. My truck also came from Canada, where the available options are different than the states, so i may need to have the PCM flashed for it to work (i've no idea, really. just spit-balling here

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
CKetchum
Senior User

Originally Posted by seuadr
i just completed this today - an observation about the tilt wheel - there is 1 torx screw in the paddle to remove, otherwise the steps are identical.

I did notice that my audio controls do not work, but i also have a used control - so it may be that the switch itself isn't working properly. My truck also came from Canada, where the available options are different than the states, so i may need to have the PCM flashed for it to work (i've no idea, really. just spit-balling here

If you are using the orginal stereo that came in your truck and your truck did not have audio controls on the steering wheel the new controls added won't work. The computer in the stereo has to be flashed to recognize the controls. I purchased another stereo off of ebay that was removed from a truck that had the extra controls. That was easier for me that trying to get my dealer to understand what i needed them to do...

Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM
vbouncer
New User
Originally Posted by akdoggie
I realize this is an old thread, but I also see that it has been restarted. No one lists the pigtail number that you need. Everyone says you have to buy a harness. NO you don't. You can add a WPT440 (which is updating to WPT1242) and that will give you the 6 pin plug you are needing. It is a Motorcraft plug, and is readily available. You can get them from $26 on up. We use the same plug on the Mustangs to get redundant audio controls. I just installed a factory navigation unit into my Mustang, doing this very thing. All functions work, including SYNC, and it is Sirius capable. I am using a 2013 Boss steering wheel, with full steering wheel controls on my 07 Mustang.

Another thing people have been questioning. If the head you had, doesn't have steering wheel controls enabled, the only way to do it is have a dealer or radio shop reprogram the head. If you have a single CD unit, just get a newer head (preferably with a starting # or 7 or 8 for the best units).

The Taurus/Sable radios work with radio controls, some Fusions, Crown Vics, F150's, MKZ's, etc are usable. The Mustang Shaker head can be used also, but has no radio controls on the radio head that would be used in the F150.

I'm not a new guy on here, just having problems with passwords today for some reason. I had to log in via Facebook. Hopefully the mods will figure out what happened.

You don't have to change any clock springs or anything. You would have to run 2 wires for the #18 and #19 pins on the radio head. If you have Sync, you add another pair for that. I hope this help you guys out some. Good luck.

akdoggie and TexasRebel thanks for all the help...if I am reading right I have a couple of choices on adding redundant audio controls..

I have an 08 Expy XLT w/o the audio controls now and want to add it...my current radio is the audiophile 6 disc version (would this work or need to be programmed by dealer?)

1. locate donor wheel with audio controls and harvest the harness or use wheel as is

2. purchase WPT1242 pig tail adapter and wire it to switch p/n 7C3Z-9C888-AA or will 6L2Z0C888GAA (this one has the fan ctrl on it)

(if I go this route what is the wiring diagram for this config)

Which one would work?

I have seen several wheels on ebay but most have the phone/ok button (will this one work?)

I have even seen some wheels with the directional info buttons on the left side with the cruise control (will this wheel work?)

Will other model steering wheels work on the Expy (F150, Flex, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions....newbie here and have been doing a lot of research...just got the Expy for the wife as her dd and she really wants the audio on the wheel.

Thanks for all the help!!

V

Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM
spjegues
New User
This has been a very useful thread. Sorry to bring it up again. I just got done taking apart my steering wheel and finding it did not have the redundant audio control cables. It did come with cruise control (factory ) but no audio cables on the right side.

2009 XL f350 Crew Cab . V10 6.8

I had to dig out the foam on the right side which was a pain.

One question - on this pig tail WPT1242 option where do I plug it in on the clock spring wiring - there are at least 4 pins it could go to .

Thanks

Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
vbouncer, I do not know the answer to any of your questions. Sorry.

I did not take any of the harnesses apart or trace wiring. Your best bet here is to procure a copy of the wiring diagram from the workshop manual.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Bringing one (thread) back from the dead here folks . Was wondering if anyone kows the part number for the connector that would be opposite from the wpt-1242 when adding the redundant controls on the 08-10 MY trucks? I may be a little pre-mature with my question, since I have not removed my steering wheel to see how mine is configured, but thought I would ask anyway.

Lots of thumbs up to TexasRebel and AKdoggie, plus all the others on this thread, for great input. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
iceman6074
New User
I'm doing this right now with my 2010 F250 SD. I put in a REIZ-MOTO NAV/BT/VIDEO system I purchased on ebay. I found I have the standard plastic steering wheel w/cruise. Took wheel off and figured out from reading this thread and looking at my wheel that I would have to cut out that rubber/foam thing they put on the right side of the wheel. I ordered a new/used steering wheel from ebay also. Should get it this weekend and have it in.

Thanks for the great thread.

Some stuff I have learned on along the way.

you can use a 2011-2014 wheel, but the connector is bigger and has more pins then the 2008-2010 wheel and clockspring. But, the wheel is actually the same other then that. Instead of ordering a newer wheel and changing out the connector (pulling pins and inserting them into 2008-2010 connector) I just decided to try and find a good used wheel on ebay. Ford wants somewhere around $350 and up for new 2008-2010 steering wheels and they did not have one in a different combo that actually matched my trim code (well it matched half of my trim "Med Stone" but not the Charcoal half). I guess my FX4 basic steering wheel was only one that was Charcoal in those years.

Hope fully this is my last upgrade on this truck.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM
iceman6074
New User
Worked great. Only problem I have is buttons do not control phone on system. Going to look into why someday. Hell, all I really wanted was volume and song controls on the steering wheel, so Im good for now.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Slackdaddy
Junior User
Digging up an oldie but goody,
On the 2008 Superduty, where is the "radio end" of the steering wheel control wires? a lot of the after market Head units have "key1" and key2" hookup for the steering wheel controls. Then they have a learning program to measure the resistance when you push each button.
But I can not find what connector and what pins On the ford harness at the radio) are for the 2 steering wheel wires?

Thanks for any help.

Slack

Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 AM
SEABEETOM
New User
Steering wheel audio

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
Done, I'll work on getting pictures uploaded to photobucket and posted.

Very VERY simple to do.

Once you find a wiring harness that has connections for both sides of the steering wheel (I purchased a cheap donor wheel from ebay and pulled the harness out of it). You just have to swap the harnesses and you're done!

If you follow my route, take your donor wheel and remove the four screws holding the back plastic on to access the wiring harness. Take note of how the wires are routed ont he back of the wheel. Remove both switch sets and push the wires out until they are free of everything except the zip-tie hold down. Grab the harness on both sides of the zip tie and gently pull and wiggle until the zip tie comes out of the wheel. Do whatever you like with this wheel... you're done with it.

Now remove the steering wheel...

This procedure can be found in the workshop manual at www.motorcraftservice.com, or in my cruise control writeup.

once the wheel is off, do the same thing as you did to the donor wheel, only remember that you want to keep this one.

install the new wiring harness in your wheel, then reinstall the wheel according to the workshop manual.

Done! Now you can control the radio without taking your hands off of the wheel.
I have the same setup as you and did the same exact thing. However my audio switch doesn't work(switch is new). Any thoughts on what may be wrong.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
My only thought is that if you're using the original headunit, it is not looking for the audio controls. Essentially they are disabled because they don't exist.

Earlier in this thread we talked about head units and reprogramming, but I think the other person in this situation just found a headunit that already expected the controls and swapped them out... might have even upgraded to a 6-disk.

Quick Reply: Adding Redundant Audio Controls - 2008