Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Elder User

ETKMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNiner19 View Post
Hate to dig up an old post. But it is a good one. Quick question. Is a donor wheel necessary for this installation? OR could one simply purchase part #7C3Z9C888AA (right audio control buttons) and go from there? My 2008 F250 XLT already has cruise control, but no audio controls?

OR

Is the reason for getting a donor wheel to have a harness that has both cruise control and audio together?

Thanks for any clarification
thats what i did, works great
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
The donor wheel is necessary to get the harness.

You can check your wheel first to see if it has the correct harness, just pop out the right plate.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 AM
New User

akdoggie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
The donor wheel is necessary to get the harness.

You can check your wheel first to see if it has the correct harness, just pop out the right plate.
I realize this is an old thread, but I also see that it has been restarted. No one lists the pigtail number that you need. Everyone says you have to buy a harness. NO you don't. You can add a WPT440 (which is updating to WPT1242) and that will give you the 6 pin plug you are needing. It is a Motorcraft plug, and is readily available. You can get them from $26 on up. We use the same plug on the Mustangs to get redundant audio controls. I just installed a factory navigation unit into my Mustang, doing this very thing. All functions work, including SYNC, and it is Sirius capable. I am using a 2013 Boss steering wheel, with full steering wheel controls on my 07 Mustang.

Another thing people have been questioning. If the head you had, doesn't have steering wheel controls enabled, the only way to do it is have a dealer or radio shop reprogram the head. If you have a single CD unit, just get a newer head (preferably with a starting # or 7 or 8 for the best units).

The Taurus/Sable radios work with radio controls, some Fusions, Crown Vics, F150's, MKZ's, etc are usable. The Mustang Shaker head can be used also, but has no radio controls on the radio head that would be used in the F150.

I'm not a new guy on here, just having problems with passwords today for some reason. I had to log in via Facebook. Hopefully the mods will figure out what happened.

You don't have to change any clock springs or anything. You would have to run 2 wires for the #18 and #19 pins on the radio head. If you have Sync, you add another pair for that. I hope this help you guys out some. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
As of my original writing of this post, the harness/connection was not available alone. Things may have changed in three years though.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior User

seuadr has a good reputation on FTE.seuadr has a good reputation on FTE.
i just completed this today - an observation about the tilt wheel - there is 1 torx screw in the paddle to remove, otherwise the steps are identical.

I did notice that my audio controls do not work, but i also have a used control - so it may be that the switch itself isn't working properly. My truck also came from Canada, where the available options are different than the states, so i may need to have the PCM flashed for it to work (i've no idea, really. just spit-balling here

"Life can only be understood backward. It must be lived forward." F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Senior User

CKetchum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i just completed this today - an observation about the tilt wheel - there is 1 torx screw in the paddle to remove, otherwise the steps are identical.

I did notice that my audio controls do not work, but i also have a used control - so it may be that the switch itself isn't working properly. My truck also came from Canada, where the available options are different than the states, so i may need to have the PCM flashed for it to work (i've no idea, really. just spit-balling here

If you are using the orginal stereo that came in your truck and your truck did not have audio controls on the steering wheel the new controls added won't work. The computer in the stereo has to be flashed to recognize the controls. I purchased another stereo off of ebay that was removed from a truck that had the extra controls. That was easier for me that trying to get my dealer to understand what i needed them to do...

08' F-250 XLT, Super Cab, 6.4L/PSD, 4x4, current love of my life!
99' F-350 Lariat, Super Cab, 6.8L/V-10, reluctantly traded
88' F-150 XLT Lariat, 4.9L/I-6, reluctantly sold
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM
New User

vbouncer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdoggie View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I also see that it has been restarted. No one lists the pigtail number that you need. Everyone says you have to buy a harness. NO you don't. You can add a WPT440 (which is updating to WPT1242) and that will give you the 6 pin plug you are needing. It is a Motorcraft plug, and is readily available. You can get them from $26 on up. We use the same plug on the Mustangs to get redundant audio controls. I just installed a factory navigation unit into my Mustang, doing this very thing. All functions work, including SYNC, and it is Sirius capable. I am using a 2013 Boss steering wheel, with full steering wheel controls on my 07 Mustang.

Another thing people have been questioning. If the head you had, doesn't have steering wheel controls enabled, the only way to do it is have a dealer or radio shop reprogram the head. If you have a single CD unit, just get a newer head (preferably with a starting # or 7 or 8 for the best units).

The Taurus/Sable radios work with radio controls, some Fusions, Crown Vics, F150's, MKZ's, etc are usable. The Mustang Shaker head can be used also, but has no radio controls on the radio head that would be used in the F150.

I'm not a new guy on here, just having problems with passwords today for some reason. I had to log in via Facebook. Hopefully the mods will figure out what happened.

You don't have to change any clock springs or anything. You would have to run 2 wires for the #18 and #19 pins on the radio head. If you have Sync, you add another pair for that. I hope this help you guys out some. Good luck.

akdoggie and TexasRebel thanks for all the help...if I am reading right I have a couple of choices on adding redundant audio controls..

I have an 08 Expy XLT w/o the audio controls now and want to add it...my current radio is the audiophile 6 disc version (would this work or need to be programmed by dealer?)

1. locate donor wheel with audio controls and harvest the harness or use wheel as is

2. purchase WPT1242 pig tail adapter and wire it to switch p/n 7C3Z-9C888-AA or will 6L2Z0C888GAA (this one has the fan ctrl on it)

(if I go this route what is the wiring diagram for this config)

Which one would work?

I have seen several wheels on ebay but most have the phone/ok button (will this one work?)

I have even seen some wheels with the directional info buttons on the left side with the cruise control (will this wheel work?)

Will other model steering wheels work on the Expy (F150, Flex, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions....newbie here and have been doing a lot of research...just got the Expy for the wife as her dd and she really wants the audio on the wheel.

Thanks for all the help!!

V
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
aswc, audio, axxess, control, controls, f150, f350, ford, install, left, metra, redundant, stering, volume, wheel