Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Elder User

ETKMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! I guess I will just have to wait and see when it gets here what happens! what is perpetual DTC?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior User

66 BADBOY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post

Click the image to open in full size.
Donor harness removed from wheel
Referring to the above picture......
1. Is this entire harness the only thing you used from the donor wheel to make this work?
2. The part that I circled in red, is that the steering wheel audio control connector?
3. What is that connector's part number? I know its not a Ford part, but do you have the generic P/N for it?
4. You ordered the correct audio only switches (no temp control) from Ed, right?

My XLT has the single CD with aux in. No wheel audio controls, but it has cruise control. I'm looking to get the wheel control switch and also get a harness (it would be nice to find the exact wheel that had the correct audio only right side switches). So all I need is the harness and switches? Of course, that is assuming that my radio would work with the wheel controls. Right now the truck is at the dealer getting a few cosmetic things replaced under warranty. Once it gets back, I'll do the radio test and post my results to see if it faults for the wheel controls or not. That might help shed some light if the aux in ACM's are "wheel control switch ready" or not.

By the way, I followed your cab light install and fog lamp install, without a single problem. Wish I knew how to give rep points on here. You are definitely a major asset to this site with your awesome detailed write-ups!!

2008 F250 V10 CC 4x4 4.10LS, Western 8' Pro Plow, camper package, Line-X, Access Lorado Tonneau, TBC, Power Scope Mirrors, backup sensors. Self installed 5600lb springs, OEM Cab Clearance Lamps, and OEM Fog Lamps.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
A perpetual DTC is a Diagnostic Trouble Code that will not go away, but doesn't indicate a problem with the equipment that is present.

For example, before I added audio controls to my steering wheel, my ACU always showed a B2404 DTC which indicates a problem with the redundant audio controls (that did not exist)

If the ACU expects to have a sub-woofer connected, there might be a DTC that pops up because there is not one.

66, thank you, I do my best to document anything unexpected that I run into... I have a rarer pickup (reg cab, std.) so sometimes I wonder if my write-ups are useful to many readers... I'm glad they could help.

Yes, that harness was the only thing I needed to get out of the donor wheel. It was the only place I could find the RH connector.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Senior User

Hey TR,

I was probably in the middle of editing my post while you were replying. Would you mind going back and taking a look at it again for me? SORRY, and thanks!!

PS Your threads are VERY helpful. At least they were to me. Everything was spot on. When I looked at my truck, everything you posted went like clockwork!!

2008 F250 V10 CC 4x4 4.10LS, Western 8' Pro Plow, camper package, Line-X, Access Lorado Tonneau, TBC, Power Scope Mirrors, backup sensors. Self installed 5600lb springs, OEM Cab Clearance Lamps, and OEM Fog Lamps.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Elder User

I agree, TexasRebel, your posts and threads are very helpful! thank you for them!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
yes, the connector you circled is the RH connector.

The part number I got off of it is: 1 1419169 2 it seems to be a TYCO part.

The only place I found to get them sold them in bulk... minimum order was 2,000 pcs

Yes, I got the audio only controls from ed. (7C3Z 9C888-AA)

There was a poster who did this to a pickup that came with cruise control. I think his was a 2009, but his steering wheel did not have a right hand cavity molded into it, he had to dig it out himself. So be aware of what is possible; check to see if there is a cavity on the RH side of the steering wheel... it might have been a MY change.

As for finding a wheel that came with audio only controls, all I can do is wish you luck... it seems to be only on vehicles with a rare combination of options, but they do exist.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior User

Quote:
yes, the connector you circled is the RH connector.

The part number I got off of it is: 1 1419169 2 it seems to be a TYCO part.

The only place I found to get them sold them in bulk... minimum order was 2,000 pcs

Yes, I got the audio only controls from ed. (7C3Z 9C888-AA)

There was a poster who did this to a pickup that came with cruise control. I think his was a 2009, but his steering wheel did not have a right hand cavity molded into it, he had to dig it out himself. So be aware of what is possible; check to see if there is a cavity on the RH side of the steering wheel... it might have been a MY change.

As for finding a wheel that came with audio only controls, all I can do is wish you luck... it seems to be only on vehicles with a rare combination of options, but they do exist.
Cool. Thanks for the answers. And I'm pretty sure the solid sided wheel you are talking about was a 2010. Mine is an 08 (like yours), so I hope I'll be fine. Just gotta get the truck back to do the radio test first. If the radio isn't enabled, then I don't think I'll be able to afford to pursue this (unless a used radio isn't too expensive.....I haven't checked yet).

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
TEXASREBEL YOU ARE A STUD!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Senior User

Well. my truck doesn't show the DTC for the wheel controls fault. But I found this site:

8C3T-18C815 AM/FM/CD6 2008 F250/350/450/550 NEW

And I see that they say you would have to get a dealer to code the radio to set it for the wheel controls. So I'm guessing that my radio will be just fine IF I can find someone that knows how to do that coding.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Elder User

Well guys, just to update you. I got my new radio today. The 6 cd changer unit even has the chrome trim on the buttons, it was from a 2008 ford edge. I installed, took out my single disc player unit. All my plugs fit in the new unit with no empty ones. Works great, and my steering wheel controls now work perfect too!

Thanks again Texasrebel for the help!

Just to note, I have a 2008 F450 XLT. I bought the factory lether wheel with steering wheel contorls and now the 6 disc unit.

But here is my new issue! I forgot to take out my favorite CD out of my single CD unit i took out!!!!I already had the new unit all in and put back together so did not want to plug it back in! LOL anyway to take my my cd or power that thing on without pluging it back into the truck? sorry for the stupid question!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Postmaster

you can either take the shell off of the radio, and you should get enough access to be able to push the CD out... (the CD player is actually removable, and plugs into the radio via electronic ribbon).

If you can't get it out that way, you'll have to apply 12v power to the correct pins in the 24 pin slot. The CD will eject when the radio gets initial power.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Elder User

Quote:
you can either take the shell off of the radio, and you should get enough access to be able to push the CD out... (the CD player is actually removable, and plugs into the radio via electronic ribbon).

If you can't get it out that way, you'll have to apply 12v power to the correct pins in the 24 pin slot. The CD will eject when the radio gets initial power.
Thanks man! you sure know your $h*t! Much respect!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Junior User

bookpile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anyone know if a 2011 steering wheel harness will work on my 2010? The audio buttons look exactly the same but the cruise control buttons on the left look totally different from mine. I'd hate to gain audio controls only to lose cruise control.

Thanks

1985 F150 XLT Explorer Lariet, 302 EFI, 4 speed manual, 4x4
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Elder User

Hey Texas Rebel!!!! or anyone! I need your help! As you may remember, i got the steering wheel with audio controls, and the 6 cd changer, everything worked great, steering wheel controls work fine. The ONE thing i did not try was my AUX port. Today, I went on my first long trip, 500 miles, i had tons of new songs i downloaded on my MP3 player and i plug it in the AUX port, and it said "NO AUX AVAILABLE" when i press AUX!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sooo pissed, it use to work even with my old unit of course, but why on earth wont the AUX work now with the new unit?? I dread my trip home now!, just got my my hotel to write this, and hope you can help me!!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Postmaster

Correct me if I'm mistaken... you upgraded from AM/FM to 6-disk?

did you have a dealership turn the AUX input parameter on in the Smart Junction Box? It will not work until you do.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 AM