Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Junior User

callmebobvilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good news. I grabbed my donor wheel on Ebay yesterday... In a few days I'll let everybody know that this worked for me. Thanks for the nice writeup.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Junior User

So... the vinyl wheel. I thought the part on the right of the vinyl wheel was just a plastic blank. However, it looks like it's integral to the wheel. Did you have to cut/grind it out?

Everything else has been straightforward.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
I just stuck my fingernails under the outer edge and pulled up.

it would be a hair easier on your fingers if you take the back plastic off and pushed it out through the gap in the back.

It's just a blank plate, exactly like the switch plates. In fact, there is even a spot to plug the cable into so it doesn't rattle if you happen to do what I did and install the wheel without waiting for the audio switches.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Junior User

o-SUPER_DUTY-o is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Rebel. Just got off work from Lowes in Bryan. Want to grab a couple beers?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
I had jaw surgery this morning...

I'd already be at the Dixie Chicken right now watching the game, but I can't drink until I'm off pain killers.

catch me again in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Junior User

Haha things must have changed in 2010... I'm chopping my vinyl foam portion out tonight. Wish me luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Postmaster

do you have any pictures before you cut it up?

there are two vinyl wheels available. One with cruise control and a blank plate, and the other with no switch cavity...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Junior User

Here we are. I did get this done... it ain't pretty on the inside but the switch fit in real nice when I was done. I'll put a pic of the finished job tomorrow. The switch is the HVAC included one and doesn't work with my stock CD player, but the switches light up just fine. I have an aftermarket Clarion unit and am troubleshooting the interface I bought, but all signs point to the harness/switch assembly working (I get good and different voltage readings when I press different buttons).

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Postmaster

That's very interesting...

I wonder why they changed that up...

yeah, mine looked nothing like that on the inside.

When you say it doesn't work with your stock CD player is it just not doing anything?

I will point this out, that might not have been clear in my original writeup. My pickup came with an AM/FM only setup. No CD player, no AUX in, only 2 speakers. I bought a single CD player from a 2008 off of ebay (turns out that it came from an F550). When I put it in, I had to have the AUX jack "enabled" in the PCM, and I also added speakers to the rear.

After all of this, I ran the self test on the Audio Control Unit and it came up with a DTC for a fault in the redundant audio controls... which is what gave me the idea that it would work to add them. I eventually got around to adding cruise control and the audio controls... and it worked just fine, but that might be because the ACU was looking for them... if you have a ACU that did not come with the steering wheel controls, they might be disabled in the ACU itself, and I'm not sure those can be reprogrammed easily. The aftermarket head unit should read them though.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Postmaster

and it's good to see another 6-spd out there! especially a '10. I hate that they dropped the option. I just think it is interesting that we're the only two that have this OEM mod in common, and we both drive handshakers.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Junior User

I was really disappointed to hear the 2011's wouldn't have the manual tranny. When I bought my truck the dealer said that you could still get it on a chassis cab, but I've yet to see that. Funny you mention the OEM mod's, I was talking to my old man today and he couldn't believe I'd torn into the dash and pulled the steering wheel on this truck already. Sometimes you can make it better, even if it is brand new.

I'm interested to hear about the ACU looking for the wheel controls... I wonder if this one could be programmed. Dealer wanted to sell me a new wheel and ACU when I asked about doing this though. Thanks again for the write-up on this. I wouldn't have had the guts to try it on my own.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Postmaster

about the only thing I can think of is to try a ACU that came with audio controls... If that one works and yours doesn't it means they are programmed differently.

I don't even know where you could begin to find out how to reprogram the ACU.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
its unlikely to work with the aftermarket clarion, the wheel signals are can-bus, and the head unit is looking for something else..

you'll probably have to install the the swi-jack.
Steering Wheel Interface Application Guide and Instructions | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I installed the swi-ps to control my Pioneer head unit..

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Postmaster

I think the wheel signals at the head unit are just resistance changes. At least that is what you check for if they stop working and throw a code.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
the swi adapter plugs into the wired remote outlet on my pioneer head unit. I don't know what they are expecting for signal values.

sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM