6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Need help fuel filter change now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Seantexastech
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help fuel filter change now it wont start

Ok this is my first post and I wish it was for a better reason.

Today I changed the oil and filter and that went pretty smoothly. Then I moved on to the fuel filters, changing them took me a while but I got it done. I started the truck checked for leaks and everything thing in that regard was fine. So I backed it out of the barn let it idle while I closed the doors, got in it and headed for the house. I was on a dirt road headed towards the highway so I never used more than about 1/4 throttle, drove for about a mile and the truck died. Stepped out to check for leaks again and I found that fuel was leaking, crawled under and found that I had left the drain on the f/w separator open (I realize how stupid that was), closed it and would not start back up.

I tried reseting the fuel cuttoff and the truck started twice by doing this, but ran rough and only for about 10 seconds before it died again.

I don't know what else to do and am hoping that someone will be able to help.

Thanks

Sean

BTW I have an '08 CC 4X4 Powerstroke

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
did you do the 5 times turning the ignition key, waiting 15 seconds each time, turning off?

to rebleed the air out of the system?

Sam

Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Hmmm, did you try to cycle the key from the on position to the off position 5 times? If not, try that. Turn the key to on for about 15-20 seconds and let the fuel system pressurize, then turn it off. Try that 5 times before starting it.... Hope it helps...

CJ

Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Seantexastech
Freshman User
Yes I cycled the ignition about 8 times and I still could not get it to fire.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Seantexastech
Freshman User
Thanks for the link, I did try loosening the engine filter cap and waited to see fuel coming out. I guess that I just need to try cycling the key somemore and see what happens. I will let yall know and I really appreciate your responses.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Seantexastech
Freshman User
Well I tried te cycle the igniton 10 times with the key on for 20 seconds each time and it would start but it only ran for about 5 seconds and died. I was able to do this 3 times and each time the same thing it would start run 5 seconds then die.

I even took out the new filters that I had put in and put the old set back in and had the same result.

I have tried eveything that I can think of, if anyone has anymore ideas I would appreciate it. If not I get to wait until the 6th to take it to the dealership and who knows how long it will take them to get to it.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Seantexastech
Freshman User
Read a few more threads and i guess I will go out tomorrow, hook my dads truck to it for juice, and try cycling the key about 30 times and see if that works.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Try to crank and hold the fuel cutoff down while cranking and then I bet you will get it to start.

Some switches can get sensitive and may need to be held.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by senix
Try to crank and how the fuel cutoff down while cranking and then I bet you will get it to start.

Some switches can get sensitive and may need to be held.
you meant 'hold' the fuel cutoff switch

Sam

Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I fixed it..Thanks Sam!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Have you tried depressing the schrader valve on the fuel cooler?

What do you see when you open the engine-mounted filter housing? Is it full of fuel?

Are you sure the HFCM cap sealed properly? When you open the drain **** on the HFCM does fuel come out? When you open the housing to remove the filter does fuel come out? We need details!

I messed up a fuel filter job once at my last job, but it didn't involve a PSD. My engine ran well until I got on the freeway and started going around Milwaukee, then it started to miss. Figured I better turn around and bring it back to the truck stop to take another look, so I got off at the next exit. As I slowed down on the ramp the engine quit and would NOT restart, and I ended up blocking the entire ramp for nearly an hour before I finally got it running! When removing the old filter I didn't check and remove the gasket before installing the new one, so the new one didn't mount on the standpipe correctly. Which didn't permit me to properly seal the housing cover, which caused the engine to suck air and die.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Have you tried depressing the schrader valve on the fuel cooler?

What do you see when you open the engine-mounted filter housing? Is it full of fuel?

Are you sure the HFCM cap sealed properly? When you open the drain **** on the HFCM does fuel come out? When you open the housing to remove the filter does fuel come out? We need details!

I messed up a fuel filter job once at my last job, but it didn't involve a PSD. My engine ran well until I got on the freeway and started going around Milwaukee, then it started to miss. Figured I better turn around and bring it back to the truck stop to take another look, so I got off at the next exit. As I slowed down on the ramp the engine quit and would NOT restart, and I ended up blocking the entire ramp for nearly an hour before I finally got it running! When removing the old filter I didn't check and remove the gasket before installing the new one, so the new one didn't mount on the standpipe correctly. Which didn't permit me to properly seal the housing cover, which caused the engine to suck air and die.
That is some good tips!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

but the o ring gaskets really fit tight to the filter covers, at least my last two have.. I don't see how they could be left behind..

he said he even tried the old filters (covers off again)..

it 'almost' sounds like he has an air leak.. but how to get air leak and not fuel leak?

but I've heard constantly about NOT wanting to run out of fuel all the way due to some issue with injectors getting dry..
he runs for a few seconds at a time..

Sam

Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
but the o ring gaskets really fit tight to the filter covers, at least my last two have.. I don't see how they could be left behind..
The truck wasn't a pickup truck, and the fuel/water separator was a bit different. The gasket that was left behind was the one on the bottom of the filter itself, which caused the filter to not seat correctly, causing the o-ring on the cap(very similar to ours) to not seal properly.

I believe the o-ring for the oil filter housing is the exact same as the ones for the fuel filters. After it's first oil change my current truck had to get towed back to the dealer after the first oil change because that o-ring came apart and caused oil to gush everywhere.

My best guess is that something is causing one of the filter housings to not seal right.

Quick Reply: Need help fuel filter change now it wont start