6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got my Insight Installed...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Are you SURE the ignition is ON before you plug in the Insight?

Yes, you should have. That unit is so new that I don't know if anyone here has it yet. Could be quite different.
Yes, I've done it both ways...no difference.

Sorry about that...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Well, let us know what Edge says. It seems to me like the unit should know whether you plugged into a Ford, Chevy, or whatever. The VIN defines that, so no reason to force you to choose that I can see. Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
OK...so I just got off the phone with Edge Products. Turns out I'm not quite as 'slow' as I originally thought...

As far as the software not working, it does. I just had in my mind that I should be able to customize what PID's, the background, layout, etc that I wanted the screen to look like, and I couldn't. Turns out, that ability is not supported.

For the PID options...what I wanted to monitor was EGT, ECT, EOT, and boost.
-EGT will show up once I have the probe installed.
-ECT is already there being monitored.
-Boost is not there...yet anyway. They should be releasing an update including Boost within the next 2 weeks. For now, they said use Manifold Absolute Pressure, which should read around 12-13 at idle. Once you hit the throttle, and it reads 18-19, whatever, the boost is around 6psi. In-exact science, I guess.
-EOT sounds like it is not supported, and won't be. I got cut off from them while just beginning to talk about this, and am on hold as I type. If anything further comes from it, I'll keep y'all posted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...the original Insight was / is able to monitor EOT? Wonder why the 'new' version isn't capable...

Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by chrischaugen
For the PID options...what I wanted to monitor was EGT, ECT, EOT, and boost.
-EGT will show up once I have the probe installed.
-ECT is already there being monitored.
-Boost is not there...yet anyway. They should be releasing an update including Boost within the next 2 weeks. For now, they said for now use Manifold Absolute Pressure, which should read around 12-13 at idle. Once you hit the throttle, and it reads 18-19, whatever, the boost is around 6psi. In-exact science, I guess.
-EOT sounds like it is not supported, and won't be. I got cut off from them while just beginning to talk about this, and am on hold as I type. If anything further comes from it, I'll keep y'all posted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...the original Insight was / is able to monitor EOT? Wonder why the 'new' version isn't capable...
Yes, the old model reads EOT, absolutely. If this new one won't I would be sending it back immediately. But I don't accept their answer, so talk to someone else.

Sounds like MAP is not subtracting atmospheric pressure of around 13-14 PSI. Also unacceptable. They MUST fix that if they want to sell those units. Tell them you are sharing this info with FTE, so you want to be sure you are getting the latest info. Good or bad. That should light a fire under them.

Seems like as an early adopter you are getting the runaround while they complete their engineering.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Seems like as an early adopter you are getting the runaround while they complete their engineering.

Yes, unfortunately...the damned thing is that I should know better than to purchase something that was just released. Let them work out the hiccups, then purchase...

When I get them on the phone again, are there any other questions / concerns I should be asking about? Anything that anyone on FTE would like to know so I can ask those specifically?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Let them know that someone was interested in purchasing /using the Edge to monitor their trucks vitals, but if it doesn't support EOT, then I can mark them off my list. Guess I'll start looking harder into the dashdaq.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Just got off the phone with Edge, and unfortunately the 'new and improved' Insight CS / CTS use the same limited software. The shortfalls are listed in a previous post...

-boost is coming, couldn't give a date as to when
-EOT is not, and it sounded like it was low on the priority list. However, I'm sure that 'loud voices' and sales will change that perspective...

So it looks like, being that EOT and ECT were two big PIDs I wanted to monitor, I will be sending this back, and going with the orginal Insight...if I can still get one.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Sounds like you got a moron on the phone. It has to monitor EOT that is a very basic parameter...

Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Originally Posted by ehgeeray
Sounds like you got a moron on the phone.
That is quite possible, although both times I talked to someone different. I guess there could be two...or more.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the original Insight could do it, but not the 'latest and greatest'. From my understanding, the only thing that changed was a colored screen / touch screen. If they didn't have any problems with the original software / firmware, why change anything??

Those are rhetorical questions...just frustrating...

Old 07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by chrischaugen
So it looks like, being that EOT and ECT were two big PIDs I wanted to monitor, I will be sending this back, and going with the orginal Insight...if I can still get one.
Amazon still has it, and it is right now $50 less than I paid.
Amazon.com: Edge Products 83400 INSIGHT Multi-Gauge Display: Automotive

I wonder if the same EGT probe works?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Amazon still has it, and it is right now $50 less than I paid.
Amazon.com: Edge Products 83400 INSIGHT Multi-Gauge Display: Automotive

I wonder if the same EGT probe works?
I purchased this one through First Coast Diesel Performance, and they were very helpful and reputable. I just emailed them to see what their process is...if I can just return this one for the original, so we will see.

The EGT probe is a great question...I will definately need to find out about that.

Last edited by chrischaugen; 07-07-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Wrong distributor
Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
I received my Edge Insight CS in today from Performance Truck Products; I had no trouble selecting the PID's that you would expect from an Insight (ECT, EOT, Boost, etc). It even read my "soft code" wrench light ... which was a PO12F ). I feel kind'a stupid now 'cause I emailed Edge this morning about this thread with a kind of ticked-off tone as I ordered this specifically for the EOT reading.

Anyway ... what I did out-of-the-box:

1) Smiled real big
2) Installed the Fusion software
3) Installed the MyStyle software
4) Registerd for Fusion access
5) Launched the Fusion software
6) Connected the Insight CS to the computer
7) Let it update (there was no update available)
8) Disconnected and took out to the truck
9) Connected to the OBD
10) Turned ignition to the "ON" position
11) Insight wanted me to answer warning, so I did
12) Insight wanted me to confirm the truck was a Ford, so I did
13) Insight read my VIN
14) Insight displayed the guage screen with the default displayed: Left = ECT, Center = Vehicle Speed, & Right = Boost
15) Went through menu to explore; changed background to American Flag (Hooahh!!)
16) Went back to main display screen, pressed "enter" & got the menu to change the left-center-right PID's.
17) Left the left PID at ECT, changed the center PID to boost (for now, will be EGT in about an hour), & changed the right PID to EOT. - - Temperatures were 102* ECT & 100* EOT (engine hasnt been ran all day, it's been over 100* outside today!)

18) Going out now to install the EGT Probe.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
chrischaugen
Junior User
Glad everything worked out for you 98SurplusExpy.

I got a hold of Adam at First Coast Diesel, and he couldn't believe that EOT 'wasn't monitored', so he got in touch with Edge, and I just received an email from Edge stating 'Adam from First Coast Diesel Performance contacted me and stated that you weren’t able to read EOT and that someone at Edge told you we never planned to add this PID to the display list. I apologize for the confusion but this PID should be available to you on your Insight and we believe there might be something wrong with your product.'

Waiting on a phone call, so we will see what transpires...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 98SurplusExpy
1) Smiled real big
THIS, I can believe.

How do you plan to mount it? When you get it mounted I would very much like to see a few pics.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
How do you plan to mount it? When you get it mounted I would very much like to see a few pics.
I just used the windshield suction mount that came with it. It's neat, but not so easy to take down ... leaving it up there is like having a big sign saying "come break in me". Dumb criminals will prolly think its a GPS or something. The mount also blocks my sun shade, so I guess I'll have to disconnect it & take the whole apparatus down each time I park.

It took me longer to run the EGT & OBD wires up there than it did to drill & tap the manifold for the EGT probe. It's all working quite nicely. I'll get some pics up maybe tomorrow.

Hope Chris gets his straightened out ...

Quick Reply: Got my Insight Installed...couple questions