6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Driver Front Door Interior Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My08F250FX4
Anybody experiencing interior wind noise on their new 2011 trucks? I'm getting wind noise coming from the front driver's door, sounding like it's originating from the top front corner of the door. Everything around the door seems ok and no noticeable mis-alignment. Any suggestions?

Going to have the dealer check it out.

Other than that, I am so far extremely pleased with the truck. I reluctantly traded my 2008 6.4l with only 22K on it for this truck, but was fed up with the "High Humidity" operating problems. I only have 380 miles on the truck, and will finally get to put it on the highway this weekend.
In comparison to what I was going through with my '08, if the wind noise is all I have to deal with, I will be extremely happy.
Will
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->
I traded in a 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV for my new F-250 Lariat. This vehicle was the lap of luxery plus truck-like capabilities. It had a 6.2L 378 ci engine with a 6 speed transmission and as spacious as a family man could ever need. The engine actually gurgled like a large bore GM does. I traded it in because I found that I would fret over it too much and the wind noise was unacceptable. You would expect that a vehicle of that stature would have simple quality issues like wind noise settled. I am far more happy with my F-250. Just needs a speaker upgrade!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Ok I have done some testing on this and have some good results.

I taped up my door and went down the highway. I taped from the top to the bottom sealing the joint between the front door and the rear door. I swear my wind noise by my head was coming from there.
Well after taping it DID NOT stop the noise. I have been adjusting and adjusting that striker to get the door to seal and it was not that.

I pulled on the offramp and changed my tape. This time I put the tape along the window seal going up the door. I also taped the bottom of the window seal. Got in the truck and took off.

WAH LA!!!! Wind noise totally gone. I then stopped at the next exit and took the tape off the seal acros the bottom of the window. Took off and it returned a little. Now I know its between the two seals which are cheap to replace.
The left pic is of the passenger side which is quiet as a church mouse. Look at the joint at the bottom corner near the door latch. Its sealed great against the window.
The right picture is of the driver side. Notice at the joint the seal is not laying on the window. THIS IS WHAT IS CAUSING ALL OF OUR WIND NOISES THAT WE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT!! Yay!!
The truck goes to Ford Monday to get new seals installed.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
See?!? Duct tape DOES fix everything!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Fontana
Senior User
I am having the same issue. I noticed that when I ran my fingers over the molding that there is a significant dip in the top corner. As if some kind of window device was on it in hot weather. Maybe the dealerships have a security device that screws with the molding. It is so pronounced that I cannot ignore it anymore.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Dealer is blaming on my vent visors. So now I get stick with the bill.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
Dealer is blaming on my vent visors. So now I get stick with the bill.
My issue didn't become as pronounced until I installed the weather tech vent visors too. The odd thing is that the other windows fit perfectly. Just the driver door has an issue. Yes I know only the two front visors are in-channel.

May I ask, what did they charge to fix it?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Haven't fixed yet. I just ordered the window seal and the bottom seal

Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
EricMBRuiz
New User
2010 F250 PSD

I had the same issue @ 70 mph the driverside window started to hum. I took this in, and this is covered under the warranty. It was replaced after inspected that it had a slight dip in the upper lefthand corner. Now 3 monthes later its back and I took it in to replace again and asked whether anyother trucks have seen this issue and they said no. I believe it either has to be a defect in manufactured door seals or a defect in the driver door. I would love to see the part # lot id for both to compare with others. I believe this should be a recall sooner or later.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
I replaced the seals and it fixed the trick. It was 100% that window seal

Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fontana
I traded in a 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV for my new F-250 Lariat. This vehicle was the lap of luxery plus truck-like capabilities. It had a 6.2L 378 ci engine with a 6 speed transmission and as spacious as a family man could ever need. The engine actually gurgled like a large bore GM does. I traded it in because I found that I would fret over it too much and the wind noise was unacceptable. You would expect that a vehicle of that stature would have simple quality issues like wind noise settled. I am far more happy with my F-250. Just needs a speaker upgrade!!!
Ys, I have experienced driver side wind noise. I installed weather tech visors. Odd thing is that the passenger side was a perfect fit. I took the truck to the dealership and found that my window was loose. They took the visor out and no wind noise.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
bbronco66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
I replaced the seals and it fixed the trick. It was 100% that window seal
Do you have the part numbers handy for the seals?