6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Gearbox 4.0 and DPF delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Gearbox 4.0 and DPF delete

OK, you guys who installed the gearbox 4.0 and DPF delete a couple weeks ago have now had time to get a feel for any inctease in MPGs, so what say? And remember, honesty is the best policy.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
OK, you guys who installed the gearbox 4.0 and DPF delete a couple weeks ago have now had time to get a feel for any inctease in MPGs, so what say? And remember, honesty is the best policy.
I was even thinking of posting my experiences, but you beat me too it. The answer is, "YES" I saw MPG increases. I was under the assumption that I "Would not" see any gains, and I was fine with that. But now, I am seeing between 13-14 mpg city. I filled up sometime last week, and after 250 miles I still have 1/2 tank remaining. I remember only getting 280 out of a full tank. Yes I don't drive the truck over 70 mph, but that is really not too bad. Oh yeah, and the best part is "No more Regens".. Let me say that again 'NO MORE REGENS"... I did the DPF/DOC delete and left the muffler/resonator. The truck sounds amazing now, even throws a little bit of black smoke when starting from a complete stop. Remember, I was not expecting any gains, but I am more than happy with this set up. Also, I live in Santa Fe, NM where the altitude is 7100 feet. I would really like to see how the truck would run a sea level...

Carlos J...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by nomorecummins
I was even thinking of posting my experiences, but you beat me too it. The answer is, "YES" I saw MPG increases. I was under the assumption that I "Would not" see any gains, and I was fine with that. But now, I am seeing between 13-14 mpg city. I filled up sometime last week, and after 250 miles I still have 1/2 tank remaining. I remember only getting 280 out of a full tank. Yes I don't drive the truck over 70 mph, but that is really not too bad. Oh yeah, and the best part is "No more Regens".. Let me say that again 'NO MORE REGENS"... I did the DPF/DOC delete and left the muffler/resonator. The truck sounds amazing now, even throws a little bit of black smoke when starting from a complete stop. Remember, I was not expecting any gains, but I am more than happy with this set up. Also, I live in Santa Fe, NM where the altitude is 7100 feet. I would really like to see how the truck would run a sea level...

Carlos J...
That's great, what was your in town mpg before? The real question is will you still "grow" the oil. I tend to agree with you that the fuel in the oil cannot be anything but bad for these engines. Now, I'm guessing that all your eletronic box does is make the pcm think there is no need to regen because the dpf is not yet clogged enough to require a regen. If that's how it works would it cause Ford to void the warranty? Cause surely they could read that you hadn't had a regen in say, 26,000 miles, right. Just courious cause I'm considering all the options. As a practical matter I don't see how ending the regens and doing nothing else to the pcm programming could possibly harm anything but I still wonder what Ford would think.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
That's great, what was your in town mpg before? The real question is will you still "grow" the oil. I tend to agree with you that the fuel in the oil cannot be anything but bad for these engines. Now, I'm guessing that all your eletronic box does is make the pcm think there is no need to regen because the dpf is not yet clogged enough to require a regen. If that's how it works would it cause Ford to void the warranty? Cause surely they could read that you hadn't had a regen in say, 26,000 miles, right. Just courious cause I'm considering all the options. As a practical matter I don't see how ending the regens and doing nothing else to the pcm programming could possibly harm anything but I still wonder what Ford would think.
Mileage before was about 9-10 mpg city. As far as the "Voided Warranty" goes that is a hard one to answer. Remember the stealership, has to be certain that Removing the DPF and reprogramming the computer caused the failure. Even if you left your truck bone stock like yours is, they can still try to make excuses to deny you warranty coverage.

But as you stated, ending regens actually helps the engine. No more fuel going directly into the oil, etc... I am assuming that Ford actually likes the fact that companies have conquered the DPF problem. Obviously they would never admit to that. But think about it, the truck runs better. Ford does not have to pay for cleaning or replacing malfunctioning DPF filters, or anything else that may have to do with the DPF. Oh yeah, after I did all the DPF delete stuff, I immediately changed my fuel soaked oil and filter

CJ

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Mileage before was about 9-10 mpg city. As far as the "Voided Warranty" goes that is a hard one to answer. Remember the stealership, has to be certain that Removing the DPF and reprogramming the computer caused the failure. Even if you left your truck bone stock like yours is, they can still try to make excuses to deny you warranty coverage.

But as you stated, ending regens actually helps the engine. No more fuel going directly into the oil, etc... I am assuming that Ford actually likes the fact that companies have conquered the DPF problem. Obviously they would never admit to that. But think about it, the truck runs better. Ford does not have to pay for cleaning or replacing malfunctioning DPF filters, or anything else that may have to do with the DPF. Oh yeah, after I did all the DPF delete stuff, I immediately changed my fuel soaked oil and filter

CJ
And, i take it you haven't made any oil since, right?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
NOPE!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you say you did the "DPF/DOC delete" modification.
about how much does this cost and can it be done yourself?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro

CJ
You know you will have to defend the statements about mpgs when the spartan guys read this. I can't see any way you wouldn't increase if the truck quit doing regens and everything else stayed the same, but they wouldn't buy it. I'm glad it worked that well for you.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
You know you will have to defend the statements about mpgs when the spartan guys read this. I can't see any way you wouldn't increase if the truck quit doing regens and everything else stayed the same, but they wouldn't buy it. I'm glad it worked that well for you.

Trust me I have absolutely no reason to lie. I did my research and knew that I more than likely would not see any gains. But hey, I am not complaining about the gains. Also, the DPF-R 4.0 will not work on 2008's for some reason. I know they updated the DPF-R from the 3.0 to 4.0. There is a big orange warning card in the DPF-R box that states the 4.0 will NOT work on the 2008 Model year.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you say you did the "DPF/DOC delete" modification.
about how much does this cost and can it be done yourself?
About $650.00 bucks for the DPF-R programmer and DPF/DOC delete pipe. Yes, its real simple with the correct tools..

Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Trust me I have absolutely no reason to lie. I did my research and knew that I more than likely would not see any gains. But hey, I am not complaining about the gains. Also, the DPF-R 4.0 will not work on 2008's for some reason. I know they updated the DPF-R from the 3.0 to 4.0. There is a big orange warning card in the DPF-R box that states the 4.0 will NOT work on the 2008 Model year.
Well don't that knock my hat in the creek. Now how do i get one?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Well don't that knock my hat in the creek. Now how do i get one?
You will have to get the 3.0... I got mine from:

Performance Truck Products

I know he has the 3.0's in stock.... Oh yeah, are you serious or are you just pullin my chain? Thought you were totally against the whole "Delete" process?

CJ

Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Oh no, I'm not against them, just said they're not a good idea for me. I have said I'm against doing it and then changing back to go get warranty work done. I'm also not bad mouthing any one who does, it's just not for me. I was raised on Roy Rogers, just couldn't do it. I do think this kit we are talking about here might be a good idea for me. Don't know how Ford would see it, probably as a warranty voider, but I don't see how this could hurt anything that wasn't going to be hurt anyway. I leave on the 10th for a two month or longer RV trip, based on how the truck does during the trip I'll do whatever when I get back. Right now my lean is to buy a good extended warranty and keep on truckin. But if the MPGs get as bad as some of these guys are talking about, I'll either modify it or trade it.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
Oh no, I'm not against them, just said they're not a good idea for me. I have said I'm against doing it and then changing back to go get warranty work done. I'm also not bad mouthing any one who does, it's just not for me. I was raised on Roy Rogers, just couldn't do it. I do think this kit we are talking about here might be a good idea for me. Don't know how Ford would see it, probably as a warranty voider, but I don't see how this could hurt anything that wasn't going to be hurt anyway. I leave on the 10th for a two month or longer RV trip, based on how the truck does during the trip I'll do whatever when I get back. Right now my lean is to buy a good extended warranty and keep on truckin. But if the MPGs get as bad as some of these guys are talking about, I'll either modify it or trade it.
Where do you plan on traveling during those two months?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Where do you plan on traveling during those two months?
Live in ATL. Going to WA and OR and probably to NV and maybe northern CA. I'll get a good work out in the Rockies. Pulled my previous 5er, about 12.5K lbs, up to Estes Park about 4 years ago. I chose the hardest route up there and it really put my 7.3L through it's paces. I had gages to monitor everything and actually had to pull over and let the tranny cool for a few mins. man that was a good truck, 9 years and 160,000 miles and in the shop once for about 2 hours.

You know I'm really wondering why the 08 would have a different program for your gizmo, I have all the latest flashes which I thought made my truck the same as the 9 and 10.

Quick Reply: Gearbox 4.0 and DPF delete