Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Senior User

dbdbb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Safe RPMs

Hello all, I have a 46 1 1/2 ton dump with a stock flat head V8, I made some headers to replace the original manifolds that were rusted out and cracked. As far as I know that is the only modification. What I am wondering is what is a safe RPM to rev this engine to? I don't have a tach hooked up yet but this engine seems to be revving pretty high at 45 MPH.
I have ran it up to 55 MPH but the engine seems to be screaming but it seems to just keep revving the more gas I give it. So I was hoping some one could suggest a safe RPM limit? Thanks, Dan
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
In my corner if it sound's like it's overreving .. it probably is.. you can get a rpm gauge cheep and know for sure,, any idea what gearing you have?? my 54 has 5.13 gearing .. so it is screaming at 55 mph.. so I just don't go on the highway..
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Posting Guru

petey shoes is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
at 55 you are screaming! does'nt mean you reached your limit. (but you ARE close) keep in mind these heavier trucks usually had a larger fan, which will scream at higher rpm,s
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Elder User

F6Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
at 55 you are knocking on 3000 rpm. as long as you have good oil pressure and not running hot I would not consider it detrimental to the engine, just annoying. Depending on what I am pulling I can usually hit 50 mph in 4 high with the 8.11:5.83 rear axle. according to my tach that is 2600 rpm and I hold that for 30 miles at a time on some trips. If I am pulling one of my smaller tractors I run around 2800-3000 rpm. at 55 mph. I was able to pull a 56 ford 600 series tractor on a 25 ft lowboy gooseneck at 55 mph at 2000rpm in OD. of course in south LA we have no hills and it was not real windy. The wind is a killer on topend lol
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
2800, 55, cylinder, drotec, escape, f150, flathead, ford, mph, rpm, rpms, safe, screaming, truck, trucks, v8