Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 AM
New User

roachslayer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wiper wont shut off

Looking for ideas please.

My wipers will simply will not turn off unless I turn the key off. Annoying!

Everything else about them is perfectly fine. They initially turn on only when I want them, they set to the speeds I want, etc. If I turn them OFF, they behave as though I set it on the slowest intermittent setting. I have to shut the key off and back on in order to make it stop. Madness!

I have checked fuses. I have tried swapping relays (at least one relay in the main box is for the wipers, so far as I can tell). All to no avail. If anyone has insight on what else to try or look for, that would be great. It really seems like a stuck relay issue to me... but I dont know where else to look. Or, what else could it be?

2001 Expedition EB 5.4L 4x4
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer View Post
I have to shut the key off and back on in order to make it stop.
That sounds like the wiper delay module is acting up.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
New User

hmmmm. on this model, I believe the module/controller is in the whole turn signal wiper switch assembly itself (SW5548), needing the whole unit to be replaced. Not cheap. Dang.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:39 PM
New User

RESOLVED

For anyone else that comes across this or a similar issue, here is more detail.

I checked/swapped all relays related to wipers with same type relays related to other things. No change. So I knew it had to be the wiper switch. Furthermore, when hooked up to a Ford specific OBD II scanner, indeed, it showed an issue for the Multifunction Switch.

Replaced the switch in the steering column using these steps:
Lost the turn signals, how to replace multifunction switch - Ford Expedition Forum

...resolved the issue. Cheapest I found was around $90 online. Dealer cost was around $130. Part Number for my rig: SW5548

Either way, its a stupid rip off and a stupid thing to have go bad that should in theory never go bad. After all, there is usually a cause and effect when parts go bad. Such as water leak causes short. But no... this part failed without cause. Awesome. Of course, there is no aftermarket part for something this specific, so I expcet another failure without cause at some point.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2000, 2003, 2006, expedition, explorer, ford, ranger, shut, taurus, turn, windshield, wiper, wipers, wippers, wont