1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Engine knocking on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
lanechange
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine knocking on start up

My '86 knocks on the crankshaft when it starts with the choke ( at higher rpm). It's the 300 six and only has 200,000 kilometers on it, that should just be barely broken in on this engine, he, he.
However, when I'm driving it at highway speed or up hills or when I start it without the choke at curb idle there's no discernible noise.What do you guys think? Could it be just as simple as a bad brand oil filter without the baffle or is time to throw some Lucas in there next oil change?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
What is the oil pressure on cold startup? At hot idle? At cruise RPM? If it's a bottom end knock it sounds like time for a rebuild not some ghetto miracle in a bottle. If you're considering that nonsense you may as well throw some 80w90 in there and call it a day.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suspect you have a Fram filter on it, if not it's some other generic filter that has no anti drain back valve or has a leaky cardboard one like Fram filters do!

Use a Napa Gold (It's a wix) or Wix filter.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM
lanechange
Junior User
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I would suspect you have a Fram filter on it, if not it's some other generic filter that has no anti drain back valve or has a leaky cardboard one like Fram filters do!

Use a Napa Gold (It's a wix) or Wix filter.

-Enjoy
Thanks very much Festus, i'm kind of hoping that's what it is. I just posted this
in case someone might of had the same problem at one time. I'm going to check
it's oil pressures at various load conditions when I have time to get a gauge and install it, thanks again to both of you.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
If it's a bottom end knock it sounds like time for a rebuild not some ghetto miracle in a bottle. If you're considering that nonsense you may as well throw some 80w90 in there and call it a day.
I agree that a bearing knock is time for replacing the bearings (minimum) or having the crank reground, if needed.

However, the lucas oil treatment isn't a "ghetto miracle in a bottle". It actually has one nice feature, in that it clings to the surfaces inside the engine, and eliminates the "dry" bearings at startup even if the engine hasn't been started in months.

You are very knowledgeable about many things, and have *actually* helped many people many times. I like that part about you.
You also have a negative attitude about certain things, and seem to lack a sense of humor. I dislike this part....
Lose the bad attitude, get a sense of humor, and you'll likely earn much more respect around here. Otherwise, I would welcome & encourage you to hit the "log out", and forget your username and password.

For the record, I'd neg rep you for this, and a couple other posts, but the system won't allow me to do it yet........

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
lanechange
Junior User
Thanks for that Rogue Wulff, I figure the Lucas will buy me some time combined with a proper filter, oh and thanks also for the other part of your post.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
There's a proper way of doing things nad then there's band-aids and hack jobs. Run a good oil to begin with and you do not need miracle juice. You can believe whatever you want but I would never run that junk in any of my engines. Do some research, there's plenty out there documenting the detriment of oil additives. One example... What about Additives?

As for your comments about me... I don't care about what anyone here thinks of me, or whether they respect me, or how many bloat-your-ego points are on my profile. I stick to factual information and sound advise. I do look down on hackjob techniques and quick fixes. These cause more work in the long run and waste time and money. As someone who has been there and done that, I've learned my lesson and will pass on what I have learned. Funny how some folks can never find the time or money to fix something properly the first time, but always find it the second time. This seems to be a touchy feely forum with many folks who aren't very knowledgeable yet still give answers. Sorry but I don't care for that, and when I spot incorrect info I will correct it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I do agree that some oil additives are worthless, and do more harm than good. I don't use any myself, and have never done so other the one time I added a quart of lucas oil treatment into a GM 6.2L diesel with a banks sidewinder on it, and had the crankcase breather improperly plumbed. I was in california, where I picked the truck up, and headed to central oklahoma, where the new owner lived. Anything over 55 MPH netted a 1-2 qt oil loss out the breather tube every 200-300 miles. 1700 miles, @ 55 MPG, is excruiatingly long and boring. The truck ran better, and got +2MPG @ 65, but oil loss was too severe for running that speed.
With the owners permission, I added a qt of lucas to the oil, and drove 65-70 for the remaining ~1000 miles, and only lost 1 qt of oil doing so.

The only reason I would actually advise the thread originator to try this "band-aid" is because he plainly stated the truck is used about 1000 miles per year. Therefore, I am assuming (I know.....) it may sit for quite a while between uses, and the film would help prevent dry starting. At this kind of usage rate, it's more likely the engine will rust to bits before any *potential* issues from any oil additive could become apparent.

I'm glad you aren't here to make freinds, cause it sure ain't workin for ya.
My only hope is that those who do *actually* know you, don't have to deal with the same BS you dish out around here.
Trust me, I know all too well what life can be like dealing with a (donkey) on a frequent basis, and I can certainly be a royal (donkey) myself when the time is right. However, I try to refrain from doing this in real life, as well as on the innerwebby thingy, as much as practical. You, however, deserve the (donkey) treatment, yet I refrained from doing so publicly, until today.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Come on you two, Chill, You both provide valuable information, I personally believe that you both would give the shirt off your backs to help another, you are both very passionate about your beliefs ... There is nothing wrong with being passionate about your beliefs, I am as well and I believe you'll find ALL the regulars here are the same!

We all are opinionated and believe strongly in our opinions and sometimes this causes indifference's, it's how we work them out that makes the difference in whom we are!

I personally took a leave from here for about a year because I personally needed to learn to be a little less pushy with my opinion, I still fail miserably now and again, but I try very hard, It is a work in progress and always will be!

-Enjoy

Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these engines will go forever with starting knock.drive and forget it.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Bern_F150_4x4
Elder User
Originally Posted by 312
these engines will go forever with starting knock.drive and forget it.
True. I've seen some run forever and sound like they're going to blow in the process. As long as you have oil pressure, what's the old rule 7 to 10 psi per 1000 RPM??

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM
lanechange
Junior User
Thanks for chiming in some more on this, the engine just does this for a couple of seconds or so and then it quiets right down and only on high idle. As soon as I get a chance I will change the oil filter for a known good one and post back.

Rebuilding the six is my plan but this is not a good year so I gotta wait a while, in the meantime I will just keep babying it, again thanks guys.

OH yeah and check what the oil pressure is doing, still have'nt got around to doing that yet.