Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior User

motopsyko32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Message Center not working

2000 Ex Limited. Message Center not working at all. The buttons light up when the head lights are on but thats about it.

Anyone care to share troubleshooting tips? Fuse? Loose wire? Easy fix?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Posting Guru

UrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputation
Could be a fuse, also check the fuse to the cigarette lighter on the dash.

There's also a post on this site pertaining to "cold solder joints" in reguard to the message center.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior User

after starting this thread I found the solder one...
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Most likely its the solder that gave way.
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior User

so i checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. i replaced it but the message center did not come to life
Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Posting Guru

UrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputation
I'm sure you done this, but I will ask the question anyway. Did you turn the message center on with the motor running?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior User

turn it on?

I started the car... hit each button individually two or three times, held both buttons down for 5 seconds, etc.

Is there another way to turn it on that i am not aware of?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior User

Ex03AK is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopsyko32 View Post
2000 Ex Limited. Message Center not working at all. The buttons light up when the head lights are on but thats about it.

Anyone care to share troubleshooting tips? Fuse? Loose wire? Easy fix?

Thanks!
This is a common problem. There are several resistors on the display panel's circuit board that have come loose or fallen off. The chips look like a flat silver bar about 3/8" long x 3/16" wide and have a 2-digit number like 60 or 70 on them.

You do have to remove the console completely to get at the circuit board but it is simple. It is only 2 screws in either the sunglasses or door opener compartment (It's been awhile). Once you remove the screws, you have to pop the rear off by pulling down on it. It feels as if you might break it but it's OK. Now pull rearward until the tabs at the front of the console are released and it is loose. Just detach the wiring harness near the front and you can take it inside to do the rest. Put it on a towel so you don't scratch it up.

WARNING! Watch out for a falling chip as you remove the console. One might have completely fallen off of the circuit board. They are very small and hard to find otherwise.

It took longer for my soldering iron to warm up than it did to remove the console and circuit board. Just make sure you use a lower wattage iron and you might as well re-do all the chips at once.

Here is a link to a thread with DETAILED instructions to an easy fix. See post #4.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...-gone-out.html

Good luck!

Stew
Sold to an excited first-time Excursion owner! '03 Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4, V-10, 4.30LS, SCT X3 Tuner from 5-Star, Thorley Headers, Volant CAI, Flowmaster 70 BB II Muffler, Painted Super Duty Grille

Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior User

thanks thats the thread i read a bunch of times before i punked out figuring i would crack the plastic trying to remove it
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Freshman User

cudamank is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the help, I just had this same problem on my 05. One screw then the console pulled down. and then it was just a matter of resoidering those chips.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 AM
New User

under6ft is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only thing different then the linked instructions is that in the Excursion you can't just remove the message center unit. You need to pull down on the front of the whole Message Center/Temp Controls/Storage/Light console, unscrew the one screw that cudamank mentions, and then disconnect the three cables. You can then remove the small message center console and open it up. Just be careful when you open it because a chip might be loose and if you drop it it could be hard to find. Make sure you also get solder clean up tape (forget what we called it when I worked as an electronic tech), because the chips are so small you can end up with two much solder and cross connect two of the chips. Just finished it up and it WORKS! Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Elder User

labman1014 is a name known to alllabman1014 is a name known to alllabman1014 is a name known to alllabman1014 is a name known to alllabman1014 is a name known to alllabman1014 is a name known to all
well i got my console down and opend up the display to find a chip missing. it is one of the 680. can u find them around of am i screwed? i can tell the console has been down b4 since one of the clips was broken. i know i was careful to watch for falling chips.....
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
New User

under6ft is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it is only a resistor as a few post mention then you should be able to find it fairly easily. The 680 may designate a certain level of resistance. It might even be something Radio Shack would have. If not a industrial electronic supply store should definitely have it. I would take your board with you because if 680 doesn't mean anything they could at least test the resistance across one of the other 680 chips to know what it is.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM