Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New Cold Air Intake & Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking I might squeeze by with some 75w bulbs... Think it's too risky?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! Now I got to do that when I get mine back up

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Have you started working on it yet Rick?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WarOzz
I was thinking I might squeeze by with some 75w bulbs... Think it's too risky?
Just install a pair of real lights under the bumper, or do cutouts and drop them inside there - keep what you have now as fog lights for when the factory headlights or the new set you'll be adding are too bright for the weather conditions (thick fog, heavy whiteout). Having different power levels like that is nice - for instance I can have 110W, 220W, 330W, 440W, and then the lovely 860W, in different spread pattern combinations ranging from short-distance wide-angle floods to long-distance spots. As you can imagine only the two lower power levels are actually road-legal so I tend to stick with those, but the higher ones do come handy in certain situations.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 AM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
I was considering taking off the front bumper and cutting 2 holes in it for 100w driving lights. Might just have to make that my next project.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Have you started working on it yet Rick?
Not yet,maybe one day this week,got to get it moved under the shed,it will be a slow project but I want to get it right this time,Im going to pull it down to the block first, check everything...

Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
so were you attacked in the middle of install? hahaha the can of wasp killer cracked me up! looks good! i was contemplating removing the inner part of the grill all the way around, nice job there too.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
wasp killer ain't nothign, carb cleaner and cigarette lighter works much better. Well, maybe not when the nest is somewhere on the truck...

Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
starting fluid vapor into a shed full of nests for 30 seconds. NEVER DO THAT!!! lifted the roof right off the shed and blew the door right off. hahaha. it was one of those "hey, hold my beer, i have an idea!" moments. Awesome part was the little flaming ***** of fire that used to be wasps trying to fly till their wings cooked off. made for quite an explanation to the wife. hahaha

Old 06-27-2010, 01:33 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
for instance I can have 110W, 220W, 330W, 440W, and then the lovely 860W, in different spread pattern combinations ranging from short-distance wide-angle floods to long-distance spots. As you can imagine only the two lower power levels are actually road-legal so I tend to stick with those, but the higher ones do come handy in certain situations.
You drive the sun around.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wreckinball
so were you attacked in the middle of install? hahaha the can of wasp killer cracked me up! looks good! i was contemplating removing the inner part of the grill all the way around, nice job there too.
Well last year the yellow jackets owned my shop... this year I decided I am going to hit them first and hit hard! So I been hunting down nests and killing like crazy and I always keep a couple cans of spray with me outside in case I have to chase some down hehe

The grill was the easy part... just set it up on the bench and took the dremel to it. I plan to repaint everything that's not "chrome" silver.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
starting fluid vapor into a shed full of nests for 30 seconds. NEVER DO THAT!!! lifted the roof right off the shed and blew the door right off. hahaha. it was one of those "hey, hold my beer, i have an idea!" moments. Awesome part was the little flaming ***** of fire that used to be wasps trying to fly till their wings cooked off. made for quite an explanation to the wife. hahaha
LOL my wife just read this one... she looked right at me and said "don't even think about it"

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
I know them intakes get pretty hot under there. Have you thought about wrapping them in exhaust heat wrap? Looks nice!!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Actually Marshall that is on my list of things to do to finalize it. Not only will it keep heat down it will help hold the form of the pipe for me.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
it was one of those "hey, hold my beer, i have an idea!" moments. Awesome part was the little flaming ***** of fire that used to be wasps trying to fly till their wings cooked off.
Those moments are the best in life, albeit sometimes the last in life too As for the little flaming *****, when I was a kid some hornets decided to build a monster nest in a hollow (but not dead) tree at the end of a field we played soccer in, after their first raid on us we decided to show them who's the boss and next morning came back at them with a vengeance and a cloth rag and a gasoline can and a large cooking pot - soak the rag in gas, light it, drop it in the hollow tree, and cover the opening at the top with the cooking pot - them suckers sounded like bullets when they hit the cooking pot's bottom while trying to fly out, and after it was all said and done the hornets were never to return, I'd imagine partly cause the darn tree burned pretty good too.

Originally Posted by lemonshindig
You drive the sun around.
not really, mine are small compared to what my friend has on her Kodiak - the factory four lights, a pair of driving lights in the bumper, a pair of fog lights right next to them, six 130W KCs on top of the cab, and two 130 spots on the doors by the mirrors.

Actually Marshall that is on my list of things to do to finalize it. Not only will it keep heat down it will help hold the form of the pipe for me.
with the ducting being shiny like it is I'd imagine it reflects heat rather well, but wrapping it may help prolong its life some...

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake & Fan Shroud