1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
airj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do?

Hello, Im am looking at a 1950 Ford f1. The cab and bed are in very very good shape but the problem is the fenders. The left rear fender is gone and the front left fender has a 3 in. rust hole. And another problem is all of the glass is gone. But on the upside the underside of the cab and frame have been coated in heavy duty paint. The truck has a flathead V8 with heavy duty 3 speed. All of this for $750.

My question is what would it cost to do a project like this. Im not turning it into a show truck, but i still want it to look nice. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a pretty good project truck. As for the fenders, most all these trucks will have rust issues on the fenders. Repo. fenders are avail. only in fiber glass but some careful hunting you can still find repairable fenders for sale and patch panels for the repairable ones. Are the window regulators still there? You would probably want to replace the glass anyway and being all flat glass, it is available and reasonable. The good cab and bed are a plus. Any idea on the condition of the engine? The price isn't out of line for our part of the country. The price of the project is a very subjective question. It will take all the money and all the time you are willing to put into it. It just depends on the condition of all the parts and what you want as a finished project. Welcome to the forum. Keep us updated on your decision.

Gil

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
tardster
Elder User
The cost to restore it really depends on what you want to do with it. You can find parts for it so that shouldnt be an issue. The price isnt bad either and from the pics it looks like you will have a something good to start with, ive seen people start with much worse. So again it everything comes back to what you want to do with it and are willing to do. I know that sounds crappy but its honest.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice? or looks ok daily driver?

3 years and $10,000!

Minimum!

All the parts you need are available, and the rust in the front fenders happens to every truck of these years.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
oh hades man that thing is in decent shape compared too many . just buy her and enjoy ! even if you don't do anything with it you will have helped out the neighborhood beautification project by parking a work of art in your yard ...........although i can tell ya sometimes the women in our lives don't think so ..................