Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's amazing how the simple things make a big difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
It's amazing how the simple things make a big difference

Primary examples- My battery cables causing starting issues and replacing them makes it fire up like it's a brand new motor.

Replacing old vacuum lines smoothes performance. I'd been dealing with a slight bucking issue for the past couple of weeks and finally got around to investigating it today. I'd been suspecting it was a vacuum leak and $5 for all the line I wanted to replace wasn't bad so I just went ahead and did it. There's significant improvement in engine performance but I can tell there's still just the tiniest hint of a stumble.

But, I'm still getting around to trying out my idea of using heat shrink on the plastic vac lines. My main hold up is getting a vacuum pump to be able to test the lines before and after the heat shrink.

Anyway, that was all. Epiphany over.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Why not just use that split wire loom?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
What I'm hoping to accomplish with the heat shrink is to reinforce and reseal the vacuum lines. So I would be wrapping each individual vacuum line in heat shrink and seeing if it makes any difference.

Of course, this is dependent on if any of them are actually leaking, which is why I need the vacuum pump to test before and after results. I wasn't going to use the heat shrink as a new sheathing for the entire bundle.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh, I see..
In that case you might look into marine/mil spec heatshrink with the adhesive inside.
I always just snapped off the brittle plastic line and slipped rubber vacuum line over what stubs were left.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
skucera
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
Primary examples- My battery cables causing starting issues and replacing them makes it fire up like it's a brand new motor.
I did the same two weekends ago, and the truck starts right up! The voltage gauge holds steady at 12.8v now. I think I spent $4.80 on the new battery cable. Best investment I've made yet!

Scott