Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is gutting converters bad for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danr1
Did say what motor you had but doesn't it still have the bolt flange at the Y pipe and clamp at the tail pipe?

Someone weld it all together?
Oh, I was going off of an earlier post. If stock is clamped, then yes it is. Please explain what you meant. I didn't really understand about taking such and such off.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Cut off the ends of the converter (the mounting flanges) measure the overall length of the converter between the cut off flanges, add 2-1/2". Go to a muffler shop have them cut a piece of appropriate diameter pipe to length, flared on each end to go over the mounting flanges, buy some exhaust system permatex and 2 HEAVY duty muffler clamps. Smear the permatex liberally inside the flared ends of the straight pipe, assemble it to the mounting flanges and bolt down the muffler clamps on each end.......job finished, no muffler shop ever sees it.
Don't know about the 302 but you can't do that with the 351, the Y pipe ends at the flange for the cat, no way a shop can make him a pipe to take its place as you suggest.

Cutting the flange off the Y pipe leaves it with two pipes side by side to deal with, the O2 sensor is a couple inches or so forward of that point between the two pipes.

Have to cut the cat just behind the flange and weld up a "wide mouth" kinda deal to change to a single pipe at that point, using part of the cat to do it.
New section of pipe needs split down the middle and spread out, then a section added top and bottom to meet up to the flanged section your left with.

My 94 has already been done, I could post pictures if you don't follow what I mean. Was easy to do but yea you need a small welder to do it.

The cat has been removed and replaced with a section of 3" pipe/muffler/3" tail pipe.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Don't know about the 302 but you can't do that with the 351, the Y pipe ends at the flange for the cat, no way a shop can make him a pipe to take its place as you suggest.

Cutting the flange off the Y pipe leaves it with two pipes side by side to deal with, the O2 sensor is a couple inches or so forward of that point between the two pipes.

Have to cut the cat just behind the flange and weld up a "wide mouth" kinda deal to change to a single pipe at that point, using part of the cat to do it.
New section of pipe needs split down the middle and spread out, then a section added top and bottom to meet up to the flanged section your left with.

My 94 has already been done, I could post pictures if you don't follow what I mean. Was easy to do but yea you need a small welder to do it.

The cat has been removed and replaced with a section of 3" pipe/muffler/3" tail pipe.
Does it only have one cat? I thought it had two. Yes, please post pictures.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
danr1
Lead Driver

It had one cat, I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them for ya then.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I doubt it could be done on the 351/460 F-250 HD exhaust system type, but it should work on the F-150 302 cat. converter.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User

It had one cat, I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them for ya then.
Great! Thank you sir.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Received 497 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Nine Breaker
On F series, dual cats can be replaced w/ a single hi-capacity Cat. Cheaper/ better! Make sure they go up a size at the exhaust leg of the Y. (the Y should have a larger diameter leg out)

Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
traxx808
Senior User
i got a flow master y-collector from summit racing when i cut the front cat off my 94 f150 302. when i saw it on line i was happy. i didn't know that flow master made those items............good luck with your setup..............

Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Originally Posted by ymeski56
On F series, dual cats can be replaced w/ a single hi-capacity Cat. Cheaper/ better! Make sure they go up a size at the exhaust leg of the Y. (the Y should have a larger diameter leg out)
Well, you lost me. If stock 95's have a single one, then that's what I have.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 AM
Tegetus
Freshman User
when talking actual environmental filters....cats are pathetic. If your engine is running right with fuel, spark, and timing, you prally don't need cats. I feel like they are just another ridiculous government required component that doesn't work.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I gutted the cat in my 96 351 and noticed a power gain and 1 MPG better mileage (main reason for gut). I have done a bunch for friends as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
What I would do if this was my truck was drop the Y pipe cut the exhaust right after the first cat. (Your truck will have two stock) Take a peice of pipe hollow out the front cat. Use some air to blow out all the reminates of the old cat. Put the Y pipe back up and take it to a muffler shop tell them you want your cat back exhaust. They will install the exhaust because you still have a cat there. (It's just empty but thats not their problem). It will then pass a visual inspection as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Redneck1465
What I would do if this was my truck was drop the Y pipe cut the exhaust right after the first cat. (Your truck will have two stock) Take a peice of pipe hollow out the front cat. Use some air to blow out all the reminates of the old cat. Put the Y pipe back up and take it to a muffler shop tell them you want your cat back exhaust. They will install the exhaust because you still have a cat there. (It's just empty but thats not their problem). It will then pass a visual inspection as well.
So If I hollow it out, and get a new Y-pipe, they put the old, hollow ones back on?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Ok here is a couple shots of my 94, snow plow truck that sits in the back field during the summer months so its a tad rusty. Makes it a little harder to see each piece.

First picture you can see where the inlet of the cat was cut off and used as a collector for the new section of pipe.

Should have taken one straight up but you should be able to see its two into one right there by its over all width.

Second picture, the section of pipe before the muffler takes the place of the one very large cat it used to have.

Third picture, a "off the rack" pre made 3" tail pipe available at any auto parts or muffler shop.

I didn't do the work, I could but don't like working on exhaust any more then I have to, I paid the local muffler shop 150 to do if for me. For that price and what was done, hardly worth messing with it myself. By the time I buy the muffler, the section of straight pipe and the tail pipe and add in my time its not worth it.

That and it was done late fall, they bring em inside where its warm rather then me laying in the cold rain in the driveway!

Now if yours has a 302 it might be different, based on some of the other comments posted here it must be. I don't see where you stated what motor yours has, if you did I missed it.

Best to make up a sig including that information on your truck.

You need to go look under it, see what you have to work with. If the Y pipe is rusty it might not be worth saving to start with. The Y pipes tend to be the longest lasting part of the factory system. Myself I use a pair of channel locks, squeeze the pipe here and there to gauge how stout it is yet before deciding what is usable yet and what has to go.

Anyway yea I agree with Old93junk, if you can swap it out with an easily produced straight section of pipe that is expanded at one end to fit over the Y pipe just do that.

Should fit over the Y pipe and inside the muffler, two clamps and your done.

Just jot down the length and diameter needed at each end and have em make you one up a minute.

Or remove the cat or cats, knock the crap out of them and put em back. If muffler clamped in place at both ends, don't recall ever seeing one like that, doing so without proper tools to deal with it, its not going to be a easy task.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Ok here is a couple shots of my 94, snow plow truck that sits in the back field during the summer months so its a tad rusty. Makes it a little harder to see each piece.

First picture you can see where the inlet of the cat was cut off and used as a collector for the new section of pipe.

Should have taken one straight up but you should be able to see its two into one right there by its over all width.

Second picture, the section of pipe before the muffler takes the place of the one very large cat it used to have.

Third picture, a "off the rack" pre made 3" tail pipe available at any auto parts or muffler shop.

I didn't do the work, I could but don't like working on exhaust any more then I have to, I paid the local muffler shop 150 to do if for me. For that price and what was done, hardly worth messing with it myself. By the time I buy the muffler, the section of straight pipe and the tail pipe and add in my time its not worth it.

That and it was done late fall, they bring em inside where its warm rather then me laying in the cold rain in the driveway!

Now if yours has a 302 it might be different, based on some of the other comments posted here it must be. I don't see where you stated what motor yours has, if you did I missed it.

Best to make up a sig including that information on your truck.

You need to go look under it, see what you have to work with. If the Y pipe is rusty it might not be worth saving to start with. The Y pipes tend to be the longest lasting part of the factory system. Myself I use a pair of channel locks, squeeze the pipe here and there to gauge how stout it is yet before deciding what is usable yet and what has to go.

Anyway yea I agree with Old93junk, if you can swap it out with an easily produced straight section of pipe that is expanded at one end to fit over the Y pipe just do that.

Should fit over the Y pipe and inside the muffler, two clamps and your done.

Just jot down the length and diameter needed at each end and have em make you one up a minute.

Or remove the cat or cats, knock the crap out of them and put em back. If muffler clamped in place at both ends, don't recall ever seeing one like that, doing so without proper tools to deal with it, its not going to be a easy task.
Nice. So it is bolted. But mine has a Y-pipe. With a converter on either side. I can get to the straight one, would the one on the opposing side be easy to gut?

Quick Reply: Is gutting converters bad for my truck?