Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Junior User

royt911 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to remove cooling fan pulley assembly for '96 Ranger

1996 Ford Ranger 3.0 5 speed. The title says it all. I have my new motor ready to put back in my truck but the fan assembly is in the way. I rented the tool from Advanced Auto that my Haynes book says to use. The tool is U shaped and it is suppose to fit over a square point on the pulley. The problem is that there is nothing square to put it on. There are 4 bolts holding on the pulley and the side of the pulley towards the motor is round. And there is nothing on the other side There is a picture in my Haynes book where to put this square tool but I don't see it on my pulley. My old engine sits beside it and it is the same way. My engine is sitting half way in my truck mounted to an engine lift. Please help because there is not enough room with the fan in the way.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The tool slips over the four bolts that hold on the pulley. Holding the pulley keeps it from turning while the fan clutch is unscrewed from the front of the water pump shaft.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What Ranger pat said & the threads might be left hand. If they are turn clockwise to loosen.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Junior User

Well they gave me the wrong tools then. Their tool was too thick to slide in. The only thing it could grab is the end of the bolts and they are not very long. The bolts are deep inside the pulley so I can't reach them with a wrench.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Junior User

Well I got it off thanks to a very large pipe wrench I borrowed from work. It was large enough to go around the pulley. Ford should have designed this better so you can put a tool on it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2001, 30, 86, cooling, explorer, fan, ford, motor, powered, problem, pulley, ranger, remove, removing, truck