1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Extreme Newb Questions...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
PapaJoes52
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme Newb Questions...

Let me preface this by saying I'm in my 20's and we're working on a 51... Our original tranny has "3 on the tree" and a clutch. A) Does this mean it's the heavy duty 3 speed transmission? B) My grandpa installed a floor shifter so was this the reason for the clutch or do you clutch a "3 on the tree" as well? Keep the laughs to yourself then kindly answer. Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
55F250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a 1/2 ton truck? My truck is 3/4 ton and originally had a 3 speed HD trans,if you have "three on the tree" you should have a clutch.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've only come across them after they've been converted, but it was my understanding that even if it was on the column you still had to use the clutch, unless of course it's an automatic.

Not sure if it means it's heavy duty, not my years, but I've personally only learned of Heavy Duty transmissions in bigger trucks. You'll need some numbers off of it and someone around here with the decoding skills to know for sure what you have. I can only really shrug my shoulders, lol.

And no worries, we're not as mean as the HAMB. I'm in my 20's too, this place will help you learn everything you need, have to start somewhere Looking at your gallery it looks like a prety sweet truck!

And thats not an extreme newbie question, one of those would be like "What does an engine do? Is that how it runs off of magic?"

Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The "three on the tree" (steering column mounted shift) was introduced in 1951 (maybe it was one of those late 50 things). It was the standard set up for the "Light Duty" three speed transmission in 51 (ok 52 also). It had a side cover and the shifters were on the side of the transmission on the cover. The "Heavy Duty Three Speed" transmission and "Four Speed" Transmission available as options had floor shifters going into the top of the transmission.

The three speed light duty was synchronized in second and third and you could shift between them while moving. However first gear was NOT synchronized and you had to come to almost a full stop to get the truck into first gear.

All the trucks had clutches back then to support manual transmissions as automatic transmissions were not available on trucks until 1953. The function of the clutch was to disengage the engine output shaft from the transmission (and thus the engine torque) and allow you to manually shift the truck while theere was no torque on the drive train. All manual transmissions require a clutch. Ever ride a motorcycle or quad? Same thing with the clutch there.

Did he just change the shift on the transmission, or the whole transmission?

If the shift mechanism is bolted to the transmission and the shifters are still on the side cover, then he just installed some type of non OEM direct shift. If the shifter is an integral part of the top of the transmission with no side cover shifters, than he either put in an earlier 3 speed (like 48-50) or a 3 speed heavy duty. That earlier 3 speed trnasmission is not synchronized in any gear btw.

There was a top mounted remote shift mechanism, allowing column shift, mounted on the earlier Parcel Delivery Trucks for the 3 spd HD transmission.

A pic would tell the story.

As I look at the top of the shift you have, it looks alot like the shift off a 3 spd heavy duty, or a 4 speed. If you look at the top cover and it has two cylidrical tubes running from front to back, it's a 3 speed/3 speed heavy duty. If it has 3 of those tubes, it's a 4 speed. Of course, as we have seen there may be something different with this truck being Canadian and having mixed year equipment.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Don't be bashful about asking silly questions, we all had to start somewhere.

Every manual transmission will have a clutch. The "three on the tree" trannys were not the heavy duty trannys. The trannys with the floor shift were tyically a heavier tranny. There are several different tranny options; a three speed manual with column shift (3 on the tree), a three speed manual with floor shift (and possibly overdrive) and a 4 speed manual tranny. The 4spd manual is typically driven as a 3spd as 1st gear is an extremely low ratio used for taking off with heavy loads. This low 1st gear is usually reffered to as a "granny" gear. Since the granny gear has such a low ratio most people start off in 2nd gear for normal driving and only use granny (1st) with a heavy load.

Hope this helps
Bobby

Search this Thread