Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Mike's Virgin!!!

Engine block of course!

Mike and I started stripping down the 351 Cleveland in the 65 F-100 that he bought from Ed (WarOzz). The heads look perfict and it's a virgin block with stock pistons! Didn't have time to pull the short block today because I had to head for home.

He should have it out tomorrow and bring it up to my place to pull the crank. I'm pretty sure that the knock is a main bearing, but won't know for sure till he brings it over. Should get by with turning the crank, scuffing up the bore and re-ring and new bearings and back on the road!

Here's some pic's I took today:

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Is that a actual Cleveland and not a 351m?.............very sweet truck!
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......500,140 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Yep, it's a real Cleveland, and never been bored! It still had the factory tag on the engine. It said 351C 1972. Pick up itself is a cream puff. New C-4, new front end bushings, new exhaust, real clean interior. He didn't buy it, he stole it!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Posting Guru

WarOzz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That he did, to think Frank had that truck for sale here for a year and nobody was smart enough to see how good it was!
1975 F250 Camper Special - Soon To Be Transformed!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Posting Guru

Frank just told me yesterday he had the heads rebuilt and steel valves put in not too long ago.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:09 PM

We pulled the heads last week in the truck. They looked excellent! He's on his way over now with the short block. We'll tear it down and finally know if it was a rod bearing ( my guess...) or a main bearing. Should be back up and running withen the month!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Posting Guru

It's going to be an easy fix that's for sure!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Just sent Mike home. Block is in my hot tank. We will need; crank turned (a virgin). new cam and lifters, rod's recond, new rings, gasket set and that's about it!

Rod bearing was spun on #8. It looked like something went through the oil and came out the hole in #8 journal and scar'ed the crank. I'll bet something got disloged when they did the heads, got into the oil, and ruined the crank.....

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Posting Guru

so it was a main? That's a pretty cheap fix for a 351C with new heads
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Number 8 con rod............There was a gouge at the oil hole on the #8 journal. It looks like a piece of hard carbon or metal came out of the hole when it was running.

We probably could have bored it, but it was only at .004 wear, so we'll just hone it and add new rings. We are going to keep the two barrel carb, and aren't going for max HP, just a reliable daily driver.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Posting Guru

Damn I wonder if it swallowed something.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM

I found a bunch of pieces of hard carbon in the pan. I think some got dislodged when the heads were done................

I'm hot tanking the block so all that will be gone!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Posting Guru

Hey Mike we need an update on this project!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Mikes at my house today............We're finishing up the engine install on my shortbed. He's got the crank and rods back from the machine shop, and we'll take the block out of my hot tank today. We have enough new parts to finish building the short block now. He just installed the disc brake frontend, and powersteering that I gave him out of my stash. Hope to have the engine back together later this month.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Posting Guru

Sounds like he should have that thing rolling back down the road soon then!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM