Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quad vs Dual Shock Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The minimal clearance between the front tire and the lower bumper valence is part of what bugs me. It just seems that the truck could do with a little less rake. An inch would probably be plenty.

BTW, how do you know when you really need shocks. I know that I have heard people say to push down on the vehicle on see how long it takes to return to being stationary. I've never witnessed either of my trucks having excessive oscillation. I let my last truck go to 240k with the factory shocks, because I could never determine any definite sign they needed changing.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I usually just replace them after about 100k miles. I can always tell a difference after doing so. The factory shocks on all 3 80-96 trucks we have had didn't make it past about 40k. The bounce test can tell you if they are totally shot, but it may not tell you if they are nearly worn out.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Maybe that's why I haven't felt the need to replace them. All the ford trucks I've owned were purchased with more than 100k and factory shocks. I just thought that's how they were supposed to ride.

Now you've got me interested in shocks again. So what is it about the Gas Magnum Monroes that make them "the ticket"?

I was leaning towards some Bilstein Monotubes when I was looking last time, but I just can't stand the awful yellow/cyan color combo they put on those things.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Fordenthusiasts
Tuned
Take a look at rough country shocks, that what I put on mine after a 1.5 in leveling kit. I used the hydro 8000 series because I heard that the nitrogen charged ones ride rougher. On their website they have an application chart that tells you which shock to order depending on your lift. They even have a guide for ford factory quad shocks. I ordered the shocks for 1-2.5 inch lift. They fit almost perfect, I think they might be just a tad too long for a 1.5 inch leveling kit but they haven't ever bottomed out on me yet. When I put them on I didn't notice that they made it ride much rougher than before, but it rode pretty rough before so I just took out the longer shock and left the one in that is in the factory place for all other non quad shocks pickups and it made the pickup ride quite a bit nicer.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM
42x
Senior User
I have quad shocks on the front of my truck and coil overs on the back. The quad shocks are softer than a dual shock since they are literally doing half the work. There is a ride difference between the quad verses the dual - the quad rides smoother. My brother has a standard dual setup and we both commented on how much better my truck rode going off road verses his. For pretty good prices on shocks check out Rock Auto here is the link RockAuto Auto Parts

Clearance is not an issue for my truck. Only down side is it costs twice as much.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordenthusiasts
Take a look at rough country shocks, that what I put on mine after a 1.5 in leveling kit. I used the hydro 8000 series because I heard that the nitrogen charged ones ride rougher. On their website they have an application chart that tells you which shock to order depending on your lift. They even have a guide for ford factory quad shocks. I ordered the shocks for 1-2.5 inch lift. They fit almost perfect, I think they might be just a tad too long for a 1.5 inch leveling kit but they haven't ever bottomed out on me yet. When I put them on I didn't notice that they made it ride much rougher than before, but it rode pretty rough before so I just took out the longer shock and left the one in that is in the factory place for all other non quad shocks pickups and it made the pickup ride quite a bit nicer.
I was checking out Pro Comp shocks when I first started looking at shocks. They have a very similar application chart to the one you're talking about. I was always under the impression that the only thing gas charged shocks did was prevent foaming under heavy use.

Your story of only running 2 shocks instead of four is exactly why I wasn't sure about buying shocks. It sounds like you got sold shocks that were for a dual shock front instead of a quad shock front.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 42x
The quad shocks are softer than a dual shock since they are literally doing half the work. There is a ride difference between the quad verses the dual - the quad rides smoother. My brother has a standard dual setup and we both commented on how much better my truck rode going off road verses his.
Since shocks dampen movement by converting kinetic energy into heat energy, if you go over very bumpy terrain, your shocks will get hot and start to fade. With 2 shocks, heat and fade will be less of an issue during hard use by spreading the work load between the dual shocks. This essentially is spreading the heat out, so it can be dissipated through the surface of two shocks rather than one.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I just think the Monroe Gas Magnum is the best bang for your buck. They are well made and last a long time. The ride quality is good with them too. They are heavy duty shocks and go for about 2/3 the price of Bilstein. I just got mine from Advance with free shipping and a discount. I only spend about 140 bucks or so. The Bilsteins would cost me over 250 dollars, and I just can't see spending that much on them. I think either would be just fine. I do not like Rough Country, TrailMaster, ProComp, or any of the other similar shocks. I think Rancho RS5000 is a lousy shock, its also not gas charged. I know I have said it before in other threads, but some may not have seen it.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Cb750r
New User
I know this is digging up an old thread but wanted to add my 2cents.
Rancho lists different part numbers for dual shock vs not.

Rsx is an obsolete Series.
Rs5000 are gas charged and have been for a while

Monroe gas magnums are a severe duty shock and aren't offered in extended travel options

Monroe reflex uses the old rancho Rsx valving. Again no extended length options

The reflex and ranchos are limited lifetime warranty, not the gas magnums.

Replacing old shocks reduces wear on suspension components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc, by controlling excessive oscillations In the suspension travel.

Mono tubes should only be used in applications the were designed for. Example pot holes

Spring designed for twin tube shock now has 360psi mono tube helping to extend itself faster, you hit a pot hole and your tire is pushed into it very quickly vs twin tube shock. You case the pot hill with tire and Bam you get a harsh impact.

Example 2. Mono tube rear shocks added to a twin tube designed truck. You brake hard, and the rear springs extend due to weight transfer. Normal twin tubes resist the extension much more reducing the transfer and you brake more consistently. Twin tubes again have more force applied aiding extention causing faster weight transfer and causing potentially over loading front tires and loosing grip.

Monroe and rancho makes mono tubes as well but only advise using them on aplications they were designed for for above reasons. When paired whith suspension and springs they were designed with they can work well.

Yes I work for Monroe, so I am biased ( but informed).