Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Freshman User

jjpgilesva is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Main Seal Problem 2002 7.3

Looks like I have a bad rear main seal on my 2002 F250 7.3 127,000 mi. Leaking quite a bit of oil. Over a qt low now. I can't get it up on a lift to really see very well until tomorrow. Oil looks like it is coming down behind the oil pan. None on pan itself. Any idea what else might be leaking up there? How much am I looking at to get this rear main replaced at a shop or at Ford?? Thanks
...jim
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Freshman User

camperboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't panic yet. Get up on top of the motor. Is there oil in the valley? I've had 2 oring on the HPOP let go and the oil runs out the rear of the valley and looks like it's coming from the rear main. Easy fix, and super cheap if you can find the viton orings somewhere other than your dealer. The fittings that leaked on mine are (as looking from the front of the truck) on the right side of the HPOP down low.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Freshman User

Thanks, I will go look here shortly and see what I can see. Hard to get up there to see anything easily.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Get a mirror, (dental ones are great) and snoop around up top. That's where your leak is most likely. You might have to spray some Simple Green in the valley, let it soak for a little bit and spray it off with low pressure garden hose. That would help you see where the leak is coming from. Here's a link to a repair kit and instructions are a PDF on the page.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior User

wla6518 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The fellas have you headed in the right direction.
If it is not the HPOP and you only see oil down the back side of the engine / back of the valley, check your Turbo pedistal. There are 2 o-rings from the pedistal to engine, 2 from the turbo to the pedistal, and 2 on the EBPV solenoid on the front of the pedistal.
Will - 2000 F350 4x4 SRW CC LB -7.3 6sp - 174k, 2.5" level lift - 315x75 R16 BFG KM2's, Straight pipe, 6637, wicked wheel, OBA, CCV,FRx, HPX, AIH delete, Ranger valve, bypass coolant filter, 203*, shimmed FPR, DiPricol EGT and boost, Bilstiens, Firestone airbags, 4.11 gears, Brown welding replacement bumpers! DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 120R, 140X, 40T, 80T, decel, drive through, high idle. - Southbend clutch finally installed
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Like the others have said... it's either the turbo pedestal or an HPOP leak.

Rear mains on these engines rarely leak.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Freshman User

I think you guys are exactly right. The valley is full of oil. I can't see exactly where it is coming from yet, but it is from somewhere on top.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Of the next Riffraff East

zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
It can be a bear to find the exact spot, Like already said, clean it up good, take if for a short drive and have a good look. If it has oil towards the front of the engine, chances are it's coming from one of the HPO fittings and fairly simple to repair. Good time to give Bob at Diesel Orings a call and get some orings on the way. His kit will fix it all and you will have spares that you will most likely need in the future.
Good luck and keep up posted.
Pete's Filter Covers~ Roadside Help Network~ Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Freshman User

Thanks to all. I can see oil leaking out of the front discharge hose on the HPOP once the truck warms up. At least its not the main. I was a lil bit worried about that. You've all been a great help. Gotta get my baby fixed for a road trip to Montana in a couple months.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Of the next Riffraff East

zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
If you can see it leaking at idle, it will really be spraying at full throttle. Click the link in my sig and you will have you some by the end of the week.
Pete's Filter Covers~ Roadside Help Network~ Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior User

tsmall07 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where are you in Virginia? If you do the job, I'd like to lend a hand. I think I'll have to be doing it to mine sooner rather than later.
1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half (sold)
1982 Honda CB750 (for sale)
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Freshman User

Just an update. I got my F250 fixed today. I wimped out and took it to the Ford dealer and had them install the Ford o-ring kit in the HPOP. They charged $166 to do the fix. Thought it wasn't worth my time to do it myself for that price. Everything seems good. Thanks for everyone's help. ....jim
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Thanks for the update. $166 isn't too bad of a charge.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 AM
New User

dually28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem I think, went to dealer they told me it could cost around a thousand dollars or more , Does that sound right? Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 AM
PAA Member #7 and FTE

twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like they want to replace the whole HPOP for that price. If it is in fact the same problem as the OP, a few o-rings is all you'll need and a few hours depending on how good you are with repairs.
PAA Member #7
Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2002, 73, diesel, f150, f350, fixing, ford, install, main, powerstroke, ranger, rear, replacement, seal