2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive yet quiet A/T Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM
nnero
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a lot of money!! Im looking at $800-1200 for a set. I would save around $400 if I skipped the Michelins. Whether or not I would be saving cash and sacrificing quality, I don't really know. Either way, I have to have new tires by winter.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM
tooldad
Elder User
I Aug. 2008, my Silent Armors were $1050 complete as described above. Today they are ~$1300, or a 25% increase.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
nnero
Elder User
The increase in tire prices on my new truck was a shock. I never had bought anything by 31x10.50s before. I do look forward to following this thread and hearing about people's experiences (hopefully good ones, haha).

Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 AM
OptimusF150
Senior User
I have a set of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. I don't think the noise level on them is all that bad. I went from the stock tires which were the Generals. I wanted an aggressive tire. They had good reviews on the different websites especially in the mud and snow. Most of the reviews from people on the BFG's were not so great. The two most common were price and wear. I also read a couple complaints about the tires performance in the mud. The complaint was the tread was to close and it would gunk up full of mud.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
I've had several sets of the BFG All Terrain TAs in the last 18 years on several different Fords and I have loved them all. I have found them to be quiet and great on the highway, and amazing in snow (they are winter rated). They can get noisy if they wear unevenly, but if you rotate them regularly (5-6k) and keep your truck aligned, they wear well for an off-road oriented tire. I have had no trouble in mud with them, but I wouldn't think of going into serious mud with any of my trucks anyhow. Just trail mud. Great grip off-road - I'm one of those who refuses to engage 4WD until I'm stuck in 2WD, and that doesn't happen very often. I, too, have heard good things about the GY SAs, but my last set of Wranglers were spent at 40k and were noisy and were not that great in snow. I know that the BFGs will do what I need them too, so that is the next set going on both the F150 and our Bronco.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
I like the looks of the BFG's but I was just looking for something that had a little but more space between the tread. Also another thing that I liked about the Wranglers is they can be fitted with number 16 studs for icey conditions. After the amount of snow we got last year over 100" I wanted something good in the snow and they had great reviews. Plus I really liked the look of the tire. The tread wraps around the side of the sidewall for an aggressive look. The wranglers weren't the top rated but like I said I liked the look of the tires.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
rvx290
Junior User
Just wanted to throw one more in here that I recently came across talking to a friend of mine, Cooper Discoverer S/T, He tells me he loves them and they are quiet for a a/t tire, and great in the snow, Anybody here running them? Cooper Tires - Discoverer S/T - Commercial Traction

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
We had the Cooper S/Ts as the summer tires on our Ranger (RIP). They were a little on the loud side, and when it did snow after the seasonal change-over, we had to use 4WD just to get up the hill to our house - my F150 with the OEM General Ameritracs did better. I thought they flexed too much in the sidewalls as well. But they showed little wear. Most sizes of the BFG T/A are pinned for studding as they are classified as winter tires. Most popular tire around here, and we get 250 + inches in some of the valleys here (400 - 500" in the mountains).

Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
Hey Snowdog. You liked the Generals mine where horrible I only had around 35,000 miles on them and the tread was about down to nothing. As far as in the snow they weren't great I got stuck a couple of times and had to dig myself out. One of the times wasn't the tire or trucks fault is was user error. I didn't know about that with the BFG's being able to accept studs. I didn't see anything about that on the description of the tire

Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 AM
slomafarms
Senior User
i just got all new duratracs on my 01 f150 and im extremly impressed. they are really quite also, i got them in 285/75/16's

Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 AM
OptimusF150
Senior User
I got these tires for one reason which was how good they were rated in the snow. We had an unusually high snow fall last year. They were telling us we were suppose to get like 40 inches instead we got rain so I have still not been able to test them in the snow.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nnero
That is a lot of money!! Im looking at $800-1200 for a set. I would save around $400 if I skipped the Michelins. Whether or not I would be saving cash and sacrificing quality, I don't really know. Either way, I have to have new tires by winter.
I kicked around saving the $$$ on the Michelins (AT/2) but went ahead and did it. The tires now have 37k, about 10% city with the balance split between interstate and back roads with lots of gravel plus some muddy construction sites. You simply cannot wear out these tires. I've neglected the rotation but always watch inflation. Fronts have 13/32" remaining and the rears are just under 15/32", the tread depth was at 17/32" new. Unless these start wearing unusually fast on the back end, I would not be surprised if I saw 80k or better on them.
Wet traction is the best I've ever seen in a truck tire. Awesome in the snow, this is a 2wd work truck and does not get stuck or spin easily. I pulled the stock Contis at 4k so I dont have much to compare noise to but if theyre louder its not by much. Did I mention they stick like glue?
My only gripe is that the tread holds onto small aggregate and gravel, cleaning the little rocks out has become routine but its a small price to pay for the safety and longevity. If these don't outlast my ownership of the truck, I'll be signing up for another set when they finally wear out.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Thanks, LMS. I am in the shopping mode and have been seriously considering the A/T2 for my 4x4. Also been deciding between the A/T2 and the M/S2 for my daughter's 4Runner. My other decision point is whether to go larger OD to get the LT verses the stock P series.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
nnero
Elder User
If i can afford the Michelins by November I will def get them. If not them its between General Grabber at/2 and Good Year Wrangler SA's. I have spent a lot of time reading review on the Tire Rack website and they all seem to be good. Its frustrating because I had extra money set aside for any tires I wanted but had some unexpected expenses come up (gotta love farm equipment haha). This is such a helpful thread btw.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
OptimusF150-
Any of the BFG All Terrain TAs that have the severe winter weather logo (mountain & snowflake) can be studded. There are many people out here that run them both studded and not, but I've never thought that they needed it. I'm not a fan of the Generals, but they have given great service - 40k so far - and it looks like I could get another 10k out of them. They are way to soft in the sidewall, but they are P rated, so I don't expect much. But they have performed well for what they are. We traveled almost 6k miles last year towing our travel trailer (4500 lbs) and they held up well. The snow traction was pretty good when the tread was closer to full depth, not as great last winter. Our snow is very dry (2 - 4% moisture content usually), so that may be a factor. They would probably suck in wetter snow like on the east or west coasts. New BFG's coming before winter hopefully, D rated like Ford should have installed.

Quick Reply: Aggressive yet quiet A/T Tires