head light-high beam relay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:22 PM
mgorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question - I have a 2000 f150.

I have parking lights, fog lights but no head light or high beam however the high beam light comes on when ever either the high or low are supposed to be on. I found a relay for the parking lights and one for the fog lamps but nothing for the high beam or low beam. All fuses look good.

Is there a relay? Or am I missing something and just standning in the cold?

mgorman

Old 02-08-2003, 04:25 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear cant see the light, I could not pass it up shame on me. Just a quick question. Do your emergancy fourway flashers work? Do your turnsignals work on the outside of the truck, as well as on the dash?

Old 02-08-2003, 08:10 PM
mgorman
New User

Every light but the lows and highs worked.

I ended up getting the thing fixed. After I tested every thing I could find I ended up buying a new multifunction switch like what was posted elsewhere as the culprit. Since my dash high beam indicator was always on, I figured that yes, that could be the problem in the high-low switch. I put a new one in $80 later and they still didn't work.

Being totaly Peeved I started back at the head lights and pulled the plug off and when I did the light flashed. I put it back on and nothing. Repeated the process and the same. Upon further inspection of the socket I found it to be melted from either heat or a moisture induced short. The plug was warpped and the negative contact was not touching the prong on the lamp. I bent the prong forward and replaced the socket back on the light and both lights came back on. I also found out that the negative contact was far enough away that my multi tester propes couldn't reach it and that is why I wasn't getting a reading. I should have grounded to the frame or battery also when I tested it to make sure the neg. even worked.

I have never had a truck where one light goes out, they all do. The engineer must have worked for those Christmas light companies from years past.

Anyone without flash to pass want to upgrade, Got a slightly used multiswitch in search of a good home.

mgorman

Old 02-08-2003, 09:21 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found it. those mfs, Thats multi function switches seem to be a problem on later model trucks. Thats why i was asking about the turnsignal issue, it seems to start there.

Old 02-09-2003, 07:42 AM
mgorman
New User

the local ford dealer wanted $90 to diagnos it. Either way I did better because they would have charged me for more parts any how and my truck wasn't held up in maintenance. Unfortunately, If I had been more patient and double checked everything, I'd still have my $

Thanks

Old 02-12-2003, 06:51 PM
mgorman
New User

More info for future readers:

From Scully

You can try Napa for a replacement headlight socket.

I upgraded the one on my Kaw, from the crap stock one, just to run a SilverStar bulb ( that is how bad the stock one was ).

Although the Kaw has an H4 bulb, you can take it in there, and tell them at the counter you need a socket for a 9007 type bulb.

Once you get it, you can butt connector splice it together, ir solder heat shrink it back to the stock harness, and be on your way alot faster then going to the dealer for the same stuff.

Also I don't know if Ford would sell the socket, or the entire harness back to the first connector from the head light socket.

either way should get you on your way, I'd try Napa and save a few bills for a better part, just a thought.

Can you post this back to the thread, so others can see it. Just helps to have more info, rather then less.

Steve