6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Removed my dpf

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbyVA
I'm only at 50,000 after 3yrs of ownership (Purchased 2008 F250 in July '07).

thanks.. I meant 100,000 miles with DPF delete & tuner.

I am following the severe duty service intervals as well,
and so far so good.. just crossed 15k miles since purchase.
60k on the clock.

second oil sample going in today.. 1st showed 2.5% oil dilution. hoping more hiway towing driving this last 5000miles will have dropped it. didn't sample the very 1st oil change.

just replaced battery myself.. almost 3 yrs (11/07-6/10)

Sam

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Nice report and very informative. Question: are you using an additive. Diesel Kleen or what? thanks

None.. I've not poured a drop of additives into my vehicle.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
When doing oil sampleing make sure the truck is hot and just shut off. I read here the fuel sits higher off the bottom so you can get higher readings depending on when you take the sample coming out.
Spartan told me I'd get about 2-3 highway mpg the most with tuner and dpf.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Blackstone says 4-5seconds after the flow starts, warm as well.

yeh on the weird mileage reports.. they are all over the place, which is not comforting..

Sam

Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
irly
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dpf removal

To answer some of the questions out there, I used the edge race program as it was the only one I could find that would delete the dpf without putting in major tunes. I run it on #2 which claims approx 50 hp gain. I have a flowpro 4" exhaust systek from the downpipe back and an AFE intake. I have been slowly adding to this as I didn't want to do it all at once in case there was a problem. The mileage I am getting is hand calculated and without towing. I run the same trip quite often and what it used to take 18-19 gallons to do is now 13- 14 that is a 30-40 % gain.My truck is an 08 350 crewcab with 373 gears. I started with the dpf delete procedure approx 13000 miles ago and had absolutely no problems. My computer reads that I am getting 23 miles to the gallon but I know I'm getting 20-21

Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I just spoke to my local dealer service rep.. their answer.. if it doesn't cause the problem its ok.. if they think it 'might' have caused the problem, they will give you the opportunity take it off, and recreate the problem.. Obviously head gaskets, burned pistons and the like will be hard to argue against..
she said, obviously if we look at a service record and see NO work done, and it looks like no oil changes and no fuel filter changes, its unlikely that you've taken care of the vehicle so there will be lots less opportunity given.

Sam

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Blackstone says 4-5seconds after the flow starts, warm as well.

yeh on the weird mileage reports.. they are all over the place, which is not comforting..

Sam
Don't want to hyjack the thread but my last Blackstone said just a trace of fuel. Before that it was 4%. Go figure. Was it the way I took the sample or winter is over and driving habits are different. I change at 3k now anyway.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
I just spoke to my local dealer service rep.. their answer.. if it doesn't cause the problem its ok.. if they think it 'might' have caused the problem, they will give you the opportunity take it off, and recreate the problem.. Obviously head gaskets, burned pistons and the like will be hard to argue against..
she said, obviously if we look at a service record and see NO work done, and it looks like no oil changes and no fuel filter changes, its unlikely that you've taken care of the vehicle so there will be lots less opportunity given.

Sam
I still like to do what maintenance I can and that fits well with me being a cheap a$$. So how does my changing my own oil (5k mi) and fuel filters (10k mi) work in the eyes of the warranty rats? I maintain a very accurate spreadsheet showing everything I've done or had done, but is that enough?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

yeh, and for grins you can enter it into the ford system at Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site | Personalized Owner Information | FLMowner.com so it is online for them to see as well.

I do my own fuel filters and record there, using motorcraft parts.
they do my oil and tranny flush (just at 60k).

if u keep any kind of record, then for std maint you'll be ok.
I used jiffylube on my f150, and their computer system had it all recorded for me.

Sam

Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I've always done mine and taken the extra step of keeping reciepts from the purchase of the oil, filters and whatever else, like coolant or tranny fluid. I just staple the reciepts together and keep them in a file. On my 01 I had a great file after 100K miles. After that it didn't matter. Dealers in my area are sending me coupons for a 69 dollar oil change. I just can't pass that up. By the time I buy the oil and filters it's not that much more to pay the 69 and I don't have to take away the old oil or get dirty.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I've always done mine and taken the extra step of keeping reciepts from the purchase of the oil, filters and whatever else, like coolant or tranny fluid. I just staple the reciepts together and keep them in a file. On my 01 I had a great file after 100K miles. After that it didn't matter. Dealers in my area are sending me coupons for a 69 dollar oil change. I just can't pass that up. By the time I buy the oil and filters it's not that much more to pay the 69 and I don't have to take away the old oil or get dirty.

On my recent oil change, I added up the filters and oil and the cost
was $66.31. So if I see an ad for a $69 oil change for this big ole
15/qt truck, paying an extra $2.69 for labor is fine with me.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by capt caper
Don't want to hyjack the thread but my last Blackstone said just a trace of fuel. Before that it was 4%. Go figure. Was it the way I took the sample or winter is over and driving habits are different. I change at 3k now anyway.
here is my second report..

Fuel dilution is down.
Sam

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
here is my second report..

Fuel dilution is down.
Sam

How can I get my oil checked? Is this somebody you mail a sample too?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AlbyVA
How can I get my oil checked? Is this somebody you mail a sample too?
Google Blackstone oil anyalisis and go to their website. They'll send you a free package with all the info and bottles for mailing.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by capt caper
Google Blackstone oil anyalisis and go to their website. They'll send you a free package with all the info and bottles for mailing.

Great. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Removed my dpf