Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

One or two bad batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 16Vjohn
I decided to check for a drain the right way this time. I ended up buying a very expensive Fluke (any reason to convince the wife I need to buy tools) and it turns out there is a 0 rate of discharge according to my digital ammeter.

I did a little research on battery brands and this is what I came up with. The following brands are made by Johnson Controls:

ACDelco
Advance Auto
AutoCraft
AutoZone
Bosch
ChampionCostco
Delco
Delco-Remy
DieHard
Duralast
Equalizer
EverStart
Firestone
Interstate
Pep Boys
Optima
Motorcraft

Exide:

Autolite
Exide
Marathon
NAPA
Orbital

Marketing is an amazing thing isn't it? According to other information, the batteries are all made to the same standards of quality depending on their warranty... all 2 year free replacement batteries are essentially identical in quality of materials and construction. Get the cheapest ones you can find!!
yup.thats why it pays to research brand names first.
it does suck these "rebadged" items like this can be sold as such.
however with the internet,people only have themselfs to blame for overspending.

when it comes to batteries.my experience has been,NEVER leave a battery sitting unused in a car in the winter.(did that once with a exide- not the brand names fault.my own.never did it again.)
when ever possible,make sure the battery is placed in a DD.they last so much longer when they are used.
any of them should take ya 4 yrs with ease and making sure they are full.
its usually when they are not in DD's getting charged regularly,or left in the cold to freeze when they dont hold up good.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
I went with Walmart brand (Everstart) a year and half ago, and they've been great so far. The price is right, 3 year warranty, and there are Walmarts all over the place, so if I need the warranty, they'll always be a close one.
And seeing that they're all made by the same couple factories, who really cares?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish we still had 6 volt systems, my old tractor has been around here for 20 years, and only on it's 3rd battery now. (Changed that about two years ago.)

Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by greywynd
I wish we still had 6 volt systems, my old tractor has been around here for 20 years, and only on it's 3rd battery now. (Changed that about two years ago.)
Remember though the LAW: If your going to decrease your Volts by half you'll need TWICE the amperage to do the same amount of work. Which means bigger battery and larger awg wire. This is why planes are on a higher voltage system and some auto manufacturers are also going 24v. Lighter wire and less amps.

But I know what your wishin.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 16Vjohn
I decided to check for a drain the right way this time. I ended up buying a very expensive Fluke (any reason to convince the wife I need to buy tools) and it turns out there is a 0 rate of discharge according to my digital ammeter.

I did a little research on battery brands and this is what I came up with. The following brands are made by Johnson Controls:

ACDelco
Advance Auto
AutoCraft
AutoZone
Bosch
ChampionCostco
Delco
Delco-Remy
DieHard
Duralast
Equalizer
EverStart
Firestone
Interstate
Pep Boys
Optima
Motorcraft

Exide:

Autolite
Exide
Marathon
NAPA
Orbital

Marketing is an amazing thing isn't it? According to other information, the batteries are all made to the same standards of quality depending on their warranty... all 2 year free replacement batteries are essentially identical in quality of materials and construction. Get the cheapest ones you can find!!
And all are made to brand specs ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Remember though the LAW: If your going to decrease your Volts by half you'll need TWICE the amperage to do the same amount of work. Which means bigger battery and larger awg wire. This is why planes are on a higher voltage system and some auto manufacturers are also going 24v. Lighter wire and less amps.

But I know what your wishin.
Oh I know what it's about, if my IDI cranked over at the same speed as my tractor, they would never start!!! (And the cables are about the same size as my thumb!) On the other hand, my excavator with a 4 cylinder Cummins and 24Volt system justs gets a touch of starter and is off and running!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
lol i tryed takeing a few old batterys apart (looking for lead ) lol there all junk its some kinda clay mess thay try and pass off as lead Odyesy battryes are 100% vergin lead they last like old batterys i was always used to in muselcars but watch the price also there the ones with battrys in the satlites (i belive cold and replacement problems ) intresting fact anyways

Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky RaetzIDI
lol i tryed takeing a few old batterys apart (looking for lead ) lol there all junk its some kinda clay mess thay try and pass off as lead Odyesy battryes are 100% vergin lead they last like old batterys i was always used to in muselcars but watch the price also there the ones with battrys in the satlites (i belive cold and replacement problems ) intresting fact anyways
Well lets see... first issue there, is be careful of the battery acid and not hurting yourself doing that.
Batteries aren't big chunks of lead sitting there, they're sets of thin plates with some sort of material separating them. The more plates there are, the more surface area is possible to react giving more voltage/amps. As the reactions occur, the lead goes through chemical changes ( I don't know the actual process off the top of my head). With old dead batteries, I'm sure the lead won't look like lead anymore.

Virgin lead or recycled lead, once its processed, won't make a difference. If you want to pay more for virgin lead, go for it...