1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Where does this vacuum line goto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
JGreen236
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does this vacuum line goto?

Excuss my dumb circles lol.

Starts here at brake booster.

Then goes from the brake booster to this.

From there it leads to this random vaccuum line with no home.

Theres also those other two shown beside it. I hate all these lines everywhere and I cannot read the vacuum line sheet at all.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Do your power brakes work? That large line from the booster usually goes straight over behind the aircleaner and hooks to a large fitting on the intake behind or underneath the carb.

What carb do you have on this engine? Is it original? Pull the aircleaner off and take a picture of the whole top of the engine.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
If you dont have emissions testing there i suggest you remove all your smog crap. If you do that you wont have all the stupid wires/tubes hangin around.

Heres a picture of my truck without the emissions on.

Sorry kind of a bad picture.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FordNFishinLover
If you dont have emissions testing there i suggest you remove all your smog crap. If you do that you wont have all the stupid wires/tubes hangin around.
That sounds easy,but when you have about 40 hoses,it gets a little hard to decipher what is needed and what isn't.It makes it harder when you have the Cali emissions package.

JGreen,I feel your pain.

All those hoses for a 1 barrel and a 6.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Removing the smog stuff *****-nilly is generally not the way to go unless you first investigate
what the device is, what it does and when, and what adjustments might need to be made as
a consequence. Everything has a purpose and it all works together and some of it isn't even
related to smog controls but, rather, is part of general engine operation.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts
It's just a WAG, but I'm guessing the one you're holding used to go to the hot air diverter on the original breather snorkel. The other two may have been connected to each other. Do any of them draw air at idle?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If and when I get a chance today or tomorrow, I will take a picture of my setup for you. I do have several picture of it here, but none of the other end. My 1985 Ford F150 4x2 pictures by Grubbworm_photos - Photobucket

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Do your power brakes work? That large line from the booster usually goes straight over behind the aircleaner and hooks to a large fitting on the intake behind or underneath the carb.

What carb do you have on this engine? Is it original? Pull the aircleaner off and take a picture of the whole top of the engine.
X2

That hose provides manifold vaccum to your brake booster to power it. It needs to be hooked up to a big manifold vacuum source seperate from the PCV. Usually in a vaccum tree in the back of the manifold or a big port in the back of the carb.

And wow you should do something about that mess of vacuum lines, I'm sure there only causeing trouble for you. You really only need like 5 of them to make the truck run right, the rest can be removed along with the AIR pump. Unless you still have a cat then it's more complicated.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
JGreen236
Elder User
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll take a picture with the air filter off today. And Yea i'd love to get rid of the mess of lines that are swallowing the engine...its sorta a joke and I can blame my father and his friends on all that ha!

Originally Posted by FordNFishinLover

Heres a picture of my truck without the emissions on.

Sorry kind of a bad picture.
Ford shes looking great bro! Thats where I want to be with mine hehe. Btw looks like u need a K&N air filter, why not use the money you made and buy one! =P

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That vacuum line "with no home" may go to the vacuum resorvoir, or "coffee can."

On my 1985 carbureted 302, the brake booster line connects to the large vacuum tree like yours does (but located on the back of the intake on my V8). From this vacuum tree, my truck has a hose similar size to yours that goes over to the black "coffee can", located on the passenger's side inner fender.

And/or, it may connect to yet another tree with three ports that is attached up at the top of the firewall, (shown in FordNFishinLover's engine pic) on the passenger's side.

Mine has a vacuum hose running to both the coffee can and the firewall-mounted vacuum tree. Check both places and see if yours has a vacuum hose there.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Ford shes looking great bro! Thats where I want to be with mine hehe. Btw looks like u need a K&N air filter, why not use the money you made and buy one! =P[/quote]

Haha thanks, yeah haha that moneys going toward the 20 other different things i actually need for my truck! haha. Plus for 25 bucks this filter looks great and brings in alot of air. Can hear the thing breathing when you drive if you listen closely.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
JGreen236
Elder User
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
That vacuum line "with no home" may go to the vacuum resorvoir, or "coffee can."

On my 1985 carbureted 302, the brake booster line connects to the large vacuum tree like yours does (but located on the back of the intake on my V8). From this vacuum tree, my truck has a hose similar size to yours that goes over to the black "coffee can", located on the passenger's side inner fender.

And/or, it may connect to yet another tree with three ports that is attached up at the top of the firewall, (shown in FordNFishinLover's engine pic) on the passenger's side.

Mine has a vacuum hose running to both the coffee can and the firewall-mounted vacuum tree. Check both places and see if yours has a vacuum hose there.
Alright checked and the firewall tree is all filled with vacuum hoses already. Along with the black "coffee can". Behind the carb and infront of the firewall seems to be some sort of aluminum vacuum booster of some sort, its connected to the manifold I believe and seemed to have an open spot for a vacuum line. I ment to get some pictures but it got dark to easy, managed to snag a pic of the vacuum line sticker if that helps any.

Does anyone know of a guide to safely remove all the unnecessary lines to clean it up? I've removed the ac and smog pump and would love to get rid of all the junk everywhere.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JGreen236
Behind the carb and infront of the firewall seems to be some sort of aluminum vacuum booster of some sort, its connected to the manifold I believe and seemed to have an open spot for a vacuum line.
EGR valve?

Does it look like this:

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
JGreen236
Elder User
Yes thats exactly what it is. Is there a nipple off on the side of it to where a vacuum hose should be?

Quick Reply: Where does this vacuum line goto?