6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How about an over-under drive for improved mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
craigsduc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=StanleyZ;10978892]Hi, Welcome to the forum. I get what you are saying. I went two years thinking about deleting (which is the only way to let the truck breath) or not.

OK, I.ll ask. What is the proper way to delete. What about cat back systems? No way will I let Banks get near my truck but am open to realistic and bullet proof methods and ideas. Do not want to toss out my 4 yr/36K Ford premium extended warranty I just paid for either!

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
craigsduc
New User
I also am opting for slowing down to 60-62, set CC, and get reasonable mileage in the mean time! I might opt for changing the 488s to 430s or 410s if available. I had a gear U.S. Gear underdrive before in a 94 F350 4X4 with a 460 and I never liked it as it never split smoothly and seemed to be a bit weak. Just not feeling like they are what they were designed to be especially in 450s or 550s that are going to carry some weight. I.m just not in a hurry anymore but to let the engine breathe without hurting it, why not? Reducing wear is also a nice advantage for going to higher gears but then again, Ford must have felt the 488s had their place. They arent what I would call dumb engineers to have built such a nice truck! These trucks put GMs to shame IMHO! GNs look good , have great power and mileage but are not in the same league in the tough and handling/stability department. This truck will drive circles around my last 08 3500HD 4X4 CC DM dually..............period! When the right tie rod broke in half backing out of my driveway, and I actually looked at it, I was done. The design to me is pathetic and dangerous to boot. The wrecker that hauled it said he sees it all of the time on all of the GMs with the same design steering system. Go a little off road or hit a curb or ???, weakens and slightly bends the tie rod.......then put it to a test "pushing" around the wheel while manuvering at low speed where strength is needed.....and " BOING!!!!! one wheel is straight and the other isnt..................game over! Look at your Ford and that cant happen.....I know this is a Ford truck site and I dont have to sell anyone here on a Ford....but I thought the story would be found to be of interest.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM
whporwil
Senior User
This is getting away from the op's question but didn't I read on here somewhere that it's now a $10,000.00 fine in Califorina if your caught with a dpf delete truck on the hwy?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm no expert but I guess the 4.88 is used on the 450 to raise the Combined vehicle weight rating. I don't know off hand what it is but it should pull a house up a mountain. My 350 has a 4.30 and ford rates it at 26,000 lbs which is just about where I am with tanks and closets full and firewood and family in the truck. Based on how mine pulls I wouldn't hesitate to add another 5000 lbs, maybe more. So the 450 is built ot tow/haul and it uses fuel accordingly. two years ago with DPF on I had several Rocky mountain runs in the 7 to 7.5 MPG range. It also sucks it down when we go into a stiff wind. But it does pull sweetly.

As to the California question some of the west coasters on here have talked about the State EPA, I forget what it's called, pulling road checks looking for DPF deletes. Don't think I heard $10,000 but that state is broke so who knows. Edge sent a letter about a month ago saying they were shutting down their racing division which means no more DPF delete tunes. Serval folks on this forum reported that CA was after Edge and they agreed to shut down. Don't make much sense though as they are a utah company. The feds only fine you $2500.00 for crying out loud. But they are not looking for you. There is a reason my map has every state filled in except CA. I don't trust them not to mess with my truck or my guns and I dont need the hassle.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
whporwil
Senior User
The 4.88 rear was only available for a short time in 2008 on the pick ups so along with the external transmission filter I guess I have a collectors item. I traded an 08 F350 with 3.73 gears that pulled the same trailer almost as well but didn't carry the weight, it was a swr truck. The difference in mpg pulling the same trailer was 10 to 11 to 8 to 9 and I lost a lot of traction with the drw.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:35 PM
craigsduc
New User
After reading everything, I,m going to sit tight for now. We may have great weather here in CA but our governor along with the extensive EPA laws along with millions of unintelligent, uninsured , terrible driving illegals makes for a real headache of a drive sometimes! Sounds like I had better leave it alone. I did actually think about putting 22 Alcoas on the truck in the same fashion I added 19.5s on the GMC 3500HD the 450 replaced. On the GMC, it changed the truck immensely........albeit it also added to the already WEAK tie rod issue which failed. As for gears though, with the DM/Allison, it became a much better truck overall! Never pulled a lot of weight though so for really hard pulling, cant say if the "taller " gearing with the 19.5s worked. The 450 is so much more truck than the 3500 and for the cost of an " iffy " overdrive installed, I can install the 22,s and still have the 19.5 Alcoas in the garage.....Its another way of installing taller gears and the wheel wells on the 450 look like they would accept 22,s without interference. Just a thought . Yes, the clock would be off as well as the lie o meter.....Hmmmmmmmm!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

Originally Posted by craigsduc
After reading everything, I,m going to sit tight for now. We may have great weather here in CA but our governor along with the extensive EPA laws along with millions of unintelligent, uninsured , terrible driving illegals makes for a real headache of a drive sometimes! Sounds like I had better leave it alone. I did actually think about putting 22 Alcoas on the truck in the same fashion I added 19.5s on the GMC 3500HD the 450 replaced. On the GMC, it changed the truck immensely........albeit it also added to the already WEAK tie rod issue which failed. As for gears though, with the DM/Allison, it became a much better truck overall! Never pulled a lot of weight though so for really hard pulling, cant say if the "taller " gearing with the 19.5s worked. The 450 is so much more truck than the 3500 and for the cost of an " iffy " overdrive installed, I can install the 22,s and still have the 19.5 Alcoas in the garage.....Its another way of installing taller gears and the wheel wells on the 450 look like they would accept 22,s without interference. Just a thought . Yes, the clock would be off as well as the lie o meter.....Hmmmmmmmm!
Even the 2008-2012 F-350 4x4's Can fit the 22.5" wheels stock with out changing the suspension so you should have no problem with the F-450 fitting them.