Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
New User

Dafreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interior Lights Come On While Driving

Simple porblem, no solution yet. When I'm driving the interior lights will come on all by themselves. This also happens when I park, day or night. Actually had to get a jump when I left the truck for 5 days at the airport.

Quick fix...mild tap to either the dimmer/light switch panel or just to the right of the pannel. Goes out for a while and then back.

Extended Fixes:
- Cleaned contacts on old dimmer and light switch...no good
- Replacced dimmer/light switch panel...no good
- Cleaned and sprayed WD-40 on all latches...nope
- Looking for "loose" wiring...nope

This is a 2005 Lariat w/autolamps etc. Problem existed before I met a deer at 60 MPH and had a nice new set of fenders and front grill installed. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but cannot resolve the problem. The door ajar light stays off, so this leads me to believe it is not a door switch.

HELP!!! and thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
New User

P.S. The fix I've been using is to turn the dimmer switch all the way off. THAT works. Which is what led me to believe it was a dimmer/light switch panel problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Elder User

Oldguy4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here is another thought. Do these lights work off a relay? They are supposed to turn off by themselvs after, I think 30 minutes. Where is that timing circuit?

"I would rather push a Ford than drive anything made by GM."
Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
New User

Reply back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy4 View Post
Here is another thought. Do these lights work off a relay? They are supposed to turn off by themselvs after, I think 30 minutes. Where is that timing circuit?
If they do work off of a 30 minute relay, it isn't working. The delay from closing and locking the door is less than 5 minutes...normally. I watched as they turn on, with the truck locked, and stay on for over an hour. The confusing part is when I lightly rap on either the switch panel, or the panel directly to the lft, the lights go out (i;m in the truck and doors are shut). Nothing seems to be loose, nor associated with the light switch/dimmer panel. I have no idea where the timing circuit is and ask how that would explain the liughts coming on while I'm driving?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Elder User

Oldguy4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I said that wrong. Your right about the 5 minuite delay, what I remembered was that if a door is left open the lights will (make that should) turn off after 30 minutes. It's the tapping on the panels that is curious. Can you reach up under there and just move wires around intead of tapping? I wonder if there's a short in what I assume is a plug for the light / dimmer switch.

"I would rather push a Ford than drive anything made by GM."
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
New User

King05Ranch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wondering if you ever came to a conclusion to your interior light problem. I have an 05 King Ranch and it does EXACTLY the same thing you are stating. Do you have a Ford remote start? I have looked in my dash and aside from the switches all that is up there is the remote start module and there is a relay mounted to the bottom of the metal bar above your left foot. I also ran outside one night when the gremlins were at it and pulled out the light switch and dimmer and disconnected the harnesses from the switches, with no change. This leads me to believe the relay may be the problem since the switch sends the current to the relay to activate the lights. If it was the switch the lights would go off as soon as the harness was unplugged since the power connection to the relay would be terminated. I am gonna call up my ford parts guy and beat his ear a little tommorow about the relays. Also, discovered this little treat which is apparently a problem also, if you have a center console shifter and the light appears to have gone out for the shift position indicator make sure you take off the top panel and take a peek. I found out that my socket deformed and dropped out of the housing allowing it to rest against the inside wall of the console. That little bulb puts off some heat and actually melted a few marks into the plastic. If left alone it would eventually work its way thru the plastic and or could start a fire........so check it out if it applies.....
Old 12-25-2012, 07:46 AM
New User

White06Screw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but did either of you guys find a solution to this problem? My truck has been doing the exact same thing the past couple of months, and I also can't figure out the problem.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Senior User

air1jpg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White06Screw View Post
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but did either of you guys find a solution to this problem? My truck has been doing the exact same thing the past couple of months, and I also can't figure out the problem.
Check the relay that contols the lights.
6.5' StepSide Box, 20" Cooper AT3 Tires, 3.73LS, Backup Camera,
Luxury Package, Cobra CB Radio, Tinted Windows
Electric Trailer Brake Controler, Hard Toneu Cover from Undercover(http://www.undercoverinfo.com)
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2008, cut, driving, f150, ford, interio, interior, law, light, lighting, lights, stay, stays, trucks, wa