6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Thanking a service guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanking a service guy

My wife and have a friend and fellow powerstroker who is currently stationed in a foreign land. For security reasons I won't say where, but lets just say his MOS takes EXTRA LARGE kahunas. Recently he emailed my wife with questions about doing some more upgrades to his truck. Most of what he wants is reliability and a little more performance, but he's on factory head bolts and not an abusive driver anyway. He WAS using a hypertech monitor for gauges until some worthless, lowlife, scum of the earth, B-dog decided they needed it more than he did and helped themselves to it. After a series of LONG emails back and forth about options and things he needed to do we decided on 4 things: Coolant filter, RCD EGR delete, ITP/Sinister Diesel fuel system and a Garrett Powermax turbo. His only mods to date are a massive front bumper with enough lighting to fry bambi on the highway, some larger AT tires, an SCT and a PHP tuned FICM that he raves about as his best ever upgrade. The truck is an 04 4x4 and only has 55K miles and up until his Hypertech was ripped off his EOT and ECT were virtually the same so I'm not concerned about the oil cooler at this point, but I am looking for suggestions on anything else I might have overlooked while I'm installing his parts. We're holding off on what to do about gauges at this point until he decides whether he wants to go back with the Hypertech or go with the new Banks. The Hypertech monitors almost everything that I think he would look at including EGT's but not fuel pressure, so I know that has to be added as well. I'm also doing a complete coolant system flush with VC9 and wonder if I should install the coolant filter and run it for a while first or wait until after I do the VC9? What else can I do and what else am I forgetting?

He's having all the parts shipped to my house and his Dad, who lives close by, is going to bring me his truck when the parts arrive. He's made reference to compensating me for my efforts but this is just my way of saying:

THANK YOU JAKE FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY AND FOR KEEPING THIS THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE. GOD SPEED AND PROTECTION TO BRINGING YOU AND YOUR BRETHERN HOME SAFE AND SOUND.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
A nice adII would be cool. I know I would want one.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I would flush then add the filter. Pull every plug in the block you can think of when draining.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:27 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

We talked about the ADII at length but until he has a fuel pressure gauge I'm not sure that he really needs it for the mods he has, that's why I wanted to go with the RR first, so the Dog is still in the fight. I'll know before he comes home in September whether he needs it or not. Studs are also an extremely high possibility, but he's never had puking problems with his truck and I resist tearing down the motor unless it's really necessary. Let sleeping dogs lie, I always say. I forgot that he also has 4" turbo back exhaust with a freeflow muffler.

Cheezit--how many drain plugs are in the block. This WILL be a tech quality flush, especially since I have plenty of time to do it.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are all the instructions and information you will need to do a top notch coolant change.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nge-101-a.html

Tell your friend, thank you for his service.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim- thank Jake for my family and myself! God bless him and keep him safe.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
I don't think it would be wise to put a bigger turbo and or boost power with the stock bolts in place... To each his own i guess.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

The turbo isn't necessarily for boosting power. It also helps with cooler EGT's and better fuel economy when properly tuned. He's not an abusive driver and the engine just isn't that tender. Studs are planned down the road but at this point aren't required. If it happens it happens and wouldn't be unexpected.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Update on the rebuild

I'm was rolling along with my "project truck" and had a big monkey wrench dropped in the gear box today. The turbo that I was waiting for is on back order until the middle of August. I had the option of taking a different upgraded turbo--more expensive for the same price---but decided to wait as I have plenty of time with the truck. The EGR delete is in, y-pipe is upgraded, and the ITP regulated return is partially in. All these upgrades going in at one time makes the WHOLE job so much quicker and easier than having to piece it together at one time. If I'd had the turbo today I'd have finished everything but putting the gauges in the dash tomorrow. I guess I'll put the old turbo back in and wait like a kid at Christmas for santa to get here. OC diesel was really great and gave me several options at their expense, but I'm not in a hurry. I have a feeling a dash daq is in the works too, but the fuel pressure and EGT gauges are still going in analog regardless so that they will ALWAYS be there. I would have done pictures and a write up but they have been done many times already and I've done nothing special. The RCD EGR delete is a really nice quality kit. It contains all the necessary nuts, bolts, gaskets and good instructions. The ITP has upgraded from what I bought 2 1/2 years ago. Hoses and regulator are much nicer and the whole kit is excellent quality. I'd expect nothing less from a quality individual like Dennis and his bunch.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Thank Jake, for his service to our country in protecting all of us. God Bless

Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Well, the turbo showed up yesterday out of the blue. I wasn't expecting it until mid-August but somehow OC Diesel got it way early. KUDO's to them. Now I'm waiting on some transmission filtration upgrades and a Dash Daq which should all be here tomorrow, which should let me do some data logging before and after the turbo install. Jake asked me did it feel like a kind of perverted Christmas getting all these toys but not being able to keep any of them and I told him, "Yes, but it's neat being able to do and learn more about this engine." The bad thing about all this is that I still have to redo the IronBS bumper to reinforce it and provide access to the spare tire. What a joke.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks go to you yoo NCC for spending your time helping out. Thanks to your friend for his service

Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by rickatic
Thanks go to you yoo NCC for spending your time helping out. Thanks to your friend for his service
LOL--gives me something to do to keep me out of trouble while I look for a job. No one wants to hire a 52 year old parts guy with 30+ years of experience.......