1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Build thread, NEW PIC'S of our '53....LOTS OF 'EM

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Björn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damm that looks great
and you got some good weather its here -10 to cold to work outside on the truck

Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
Hey,
Speaking of mind boggle, I can't believe the wife wants an old truck. I'd love to hear the story on how this came about? My wife doesn't even want me to have an old truck. The whole concept is just blowing me away. Great pics of the progress. I'm dying to do something to mine.

Mitch J

Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
So you are from NZ right? So you had it shipped from CA? WOW.

Nice project man, the initial pics remind me of mine!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 AM
KiwiFord
Senior User
More progress......

The engine mounts that were fabbed by some one to hold the Olds motor that was installed at some point have been removed.....after much work.
As we are installing a Y block, we wanted these removed, that and they would have needed to be certified by an engineer, so out they came!!
It was a tricky job, and they still need to be finally ground up to the level I want.
Ok, enough talk.....the pic's.....

As for the story on the truck? Well, my wife is a real petrolhead, and she loves old trucks. We went to a show, and she told me she liked the old trucks, especially the Ford F series, so we started to look around, and we found this one, it had been imported from California, and was at a price we could afford. We didn't expect it would be this much of a project.....but we are enjoying it, and there is nothing like looking over and seeing your wife working right next to you is very satisfying!!
Shane

Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
great to see,so what are you ,sorry what is she going to put in..new ??stock??performance??..great pictures..

Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
KiwiFord
Senior User
Well....due to

As we have some really draconian laws here, we are fitting a Y block. If we fit anything later it will need an engineers certification, and we would need to upgrade too much (brakes, seatbelts, lights etc), making it too expensive for us. We got the Y block because we originally believed it to be a '55, it wasn't until I ran the chassis number we found it to be a '53, by then we had the motor.
Shane

Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
I understand about draconian rules...I learned not to ask ..and "yes sir it is original "...let's be honest most wouldn't know a Y-block from a hemi ..as long as nothing is leaking or dangerous they seldom care ,and with listing improvement's you have done and going to do we can overwhelm them with information ..they tend to glaze over and run away...work's for me!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 AM
KiwiFord
Senior User
Ok, more progress.....the chassis has been primed with POR15, the next stage is to top coat it with POR15 Chassis black.....we used a pressure pot to spray it, so I could get underneath the chassis, and not have to turn it over, sorry, the pic's aren't great, I can get more, or close ups if anyone wants them.

OK, there it is.....

Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 AM
KiwiFord
Senior User
I forgot, we have these four guages for sale, they are SW guages, in original condition...as fitted in the '50's.....you get ammeter, oil pressure, water temp and vacuum, we also have the ***** too, as pictured

All and any offers considered, we are interested in swaps for parts we need for the restoration too.....
Shane

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Looks great, I see that your garage is organised like mine. LOL. now if i could get my wife more interested in my 54 Merc. good luck keep the updates coming.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
I'm just happy to see you're still with us, and that you still have stuff on your walls. Or perhaps more appropriately, that you have walls, given all the problems your country has had lately. You and all of our New Zealand friends have been in our thoughts and prayers. Nice work on the truck btw.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 AM
KiwiFord
Senior User
More progress....

It's been a while...too long to be honest, but we have made more progress, we got the chassis top coated, the cab floor buffed, a patch I formed by hand fitted and the cab floor painted with a chassis paint, next up, apply the under-seal to the cab floor.....enough talk, here are the pics:

So far so good!!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 AM
snook715
Senior User
Looking Great! How hard was it to remove the cab from the frame? I'm leaning toward pulling mine off soon.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
WOW !! awwsome...I could never do what you guy's are doing..but it give me the urge to try ...your work looks great ...

Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work! and nice pictures too.......I'm doing a lot of the same type work to mine but my pictures are terrible. keep up the good work

Quick Reply: Build thread, NEW PIC'S of our '53....LOTS OF 'EM