6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

35" tires for the new truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
jdoilburner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35" tires for the new truck

hello to all,I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I'm about ready to order my new truck and had some questions? If I order the 20" wheels will 35x12.50x20 fit on the factory rims? I know I need the leveling kit,I have been following other members post on their trucks. I would like to go with nitto trail grapplers because my driving is almost 50% dirt roads. Is there a fit factor as to why some of you are using metric vs standard? Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
mikebob
Junior User
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 AM
jdoilburner
Freshman User
Thanks mikebob for the link, but I have already been following this thread as well as others on this subject! Just trying to buy the truck with the right wheels, I only want to spend 50k + once!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by jdoilburner
hello to all,I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I'm about ready to order my new truck and had some questions? If I order the 20" wheels will 35x12.50x20 fit on the factory rims? I know I need the leveling kit,I have been following other members post on their trucks. I would like to go with nitto trail grapplers because my driving is almost 50% dirt roads. Is there a fit factor as to why some of you are using metric vs standard? Thanks for the feedback!

What you need to do is find out what the width of the OEM 20" wheels are. Then go to the tire manufacture website (NITTO) and find the specs on the tire you want. They always have a suggested wheel width (min and max). If the OEM fit that, then you are good to go.

If I remember correctly...the OEM 20" are either 8" or 9" width.

Good luck...

biz

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Blown2run
Senior User
I installed 295/65/20's Trail Grapplers on mine because they have the highest weight carrying capacity than all, 4080. I tow a heavy Fifth Wheel Trailer and needed the extra capacity. Also, it is narrower than the 35/12.50/20 and there is no rubbing. Great tire so far.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I put 315/60/20 Toyo MT's on mine and they have no clearance problems (with the 2" leveling kit). They are narrower than the 35/12.5's at 12.4" wide. The width measurement is taken at the sidewall so a 35/12.50 is really almost 13.5 inches across, I think. Others can verify but the visual difference is quite large. The 295/65's like Blown2run's are still the same overall diameter (actually .2 inches taller) but they have an even narrower cross-section (11.4 inches). Basically, the 295/65's, 315/60's and the 35/12.50's are the same overall diameter. The only difference is that they are progressively one inch wider than each other.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Blown2run
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I put 315/60/20 Toyo MT's on mine and they have no clearance problems (with the 2" leveling kit). They are narrower than the 35/12.5's at 12.4" wide. The width measurement is taken at the sidewall so a 35/12.50 is really almost 13.5 inches across, I think. Others can verify but the visual difference is quite large. The 295/65's like Blown2run's are still the same overall diameter (actually .2 inches taller) but they have an even narrower cross-section (11.4 inches). Basically, the 295/65's, 315/60's and the 35/12.50's are the same overall diameter. The only difference is that they are progressively one inch wider than each other.
Good job on clearing it up.

And another difference are the weight carrying capacities.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Blown2run
And another difference are the weight carrying capacities.
Yeah, I wonder what the "certification" process is for rating the tires. Are they government stamped or do the manufacturers just follow established standards? Don't know. They do indeed carry individual ratings stating the max per tire load as you said but they are all lumped into tow rating categories as well. Since I don't tow really heavy, all I do is make sure I have an E rated tire. Guys like you who run up to the limit have to pay attention to the details.

Let us know how the Grapplers work out for you. They are a great value considering their looks and specs. I almost got a set but changed my mind when a fellow towing friend of mine is switching from them because he feels they wore out too soon. He went with the Toyo MT's. Neither he nor I have any long-term experience with the Toyos so we can't speak with any credibility on them yet. I switched from BFG AT KO's after a decade and a half. Great tire but impossible to keep balanced as they wear. I think I was just tired of the tread pattern after that long.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
jdoilburner
Freshman User
Thanks for the info blown2run and epiccowlick! I like the look each one of you have and have followed your post with those awsome pic's. I'm trying to decide on either factory 20s or get 18s and buy after market wheels? I like the ford 20s and think they will hold up better than aftermarket. I live in northern Vermont and travel about 50% dirt roads. The tire store said I would need a 10" rim and the ford ones are 8". So does your size tires fit ok On your factory wheels? I would like to figure this out because it's the only thing holding up me from placing my order. I am also planing to tow a 37' fifth wheel and it will mostly carry a contractor body that will weigh about 1500-2000 lbs.Thanks again guys for the info any other sugestions would be much appreciated!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I asked the 8" question when I decided on my tires because my size specifies at least an 8 1/2 inch wheel. The guys at Les Schwab, who have never led me wrong, said I'd be fine. Probably so but the manufacturer makes their specifications with a lot of engineering experience behind them. My size tire is technically on a too-narrow rim. I wouldn't have done that if I was pulling a lot of weight. I think the 295's are allowed on 8" rims if that is a concern to you.

I also decided to stay with the factory wheels precisely because they are usually easier to maintain. These 20's are a great design and very easy to clean. That was a big decider for me.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Mule Ldy
Senior User
Tire Ques: 18 vs 20" on F-250 4X4 ?

With a '11 F-250, 4X4....how much would the truck bed/rails be raised using the 20" tire over the 18" ? I automatically assumed one inch...but my husband says that's not necessarily true? What I actually want to know, is the actual final height. Over the years we've seen the trucks increase in height where it created clearance issues with the gooseneck trailers....every inch begins to matter...so I'd really like to know if we'll have yet more ( rather...less!) to deal with ?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Mule Ldy
With a '11 F-250, 4X4....how much would the truck bed/rails be raised using the 20" tire over the 18" ? I automatically assumed one inch...but my husband says that's not necessarily true? What I actually want to know, is the actual final height. Over the years we've seen the trucks increase in height where it created clearance issues with the gooseneck trailers....every inch begins to matter...so I'd really like to know if we'll have yet more ( rather...less!) to deal with ?
That all depends on the tire size (diameter)...and not necessarily on the wheel size. The 18" and the 20" could be the same diameter...just remember that the 20" will have less sidewall. IMHO...go to FORD's website and check the tire sizes offered.

biz

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE jdoilburner Glad to have you.

The wider the tire tread section width, the wider the rim size needs to be so the tire does not pinch or balloon. Back spacing is what you have to watch with a wider rim, off set rims keep the back spacing where you need it to be. A 12 or 14 inch tread section will stick the tire out side the body, so a lift is required to keep you from turning into the fender.

35 inch tall tires come in many rim combinations, from 15 inch to 22 inch rim sizes, as biz4two pointed out a larger rim diameter will decrease the sidewall height. 15's will obviously not fit your SuperDuty because of brake caliper and bolt patterns.

Manufacturers have to follow government guidelines for tire weight ratings. The ply and belt packages built into a tire determine the weight and speed a tire can endure over a set period of time when tested.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Blown2run
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdoilburner
Thanks for the info blown2run and epiccowlick! I like the look each one of you have and have followed your post with those awsome pic's. I'm trying to decide on either factory 20s or get 18s and buy after market wheels? I like the ford 20s and think they will hold up better than aftermarket. I live in northern Vermont and travel about 50% dirt roads. The tire store said I would need a 10" rim and the ford ones are 8". So does your size tires fit ok On your factory wheels? I would like to figure this out because it's the only thing holding up me from placing my order. I am also planing to tow a 37' fifth wheel and it will mostly carry a contractor body that will weigh about 1500-2000 lbs.Thanks again guys for the info any other sugestions would be much appreciated!
I'd stay with the factory 20's. I believe they have higher weight carrying capacities than aftermarket wheels. I actually measured my wheel width when they pulled the stock tires and it actually measured 9" from lip to lip. My tires fit perfectly with them, no ballooning at all, and more importantly, no rubbing inside.

Yeah, I wonder what the "certification" process is for rating the tires. Are they government stamped or do the manufacturers just follow established standards? Don't know. They do indeed carry individual ratings stating the max per tire load as you said but they are all lumped into tow rating categories as well. Since I don't tow really heavy, all I do is make sure I have an E rated tire. Guys like you who run up to the limit have to pay attention to the details.

Let us know how the Grapplers work out for you. They are a great value considering their looks and specs. I almost got a set but changed my mind when a fellow towing friend of mine is switching from them because he feels they wore out too soon. He went with the Toyo MT's. Neither he nor I have any long-term experience with the Toyos so we can't speak with any credibility on them yet. I switched from BFG AT KO's after a decade and a half. Great tire but impossible to keep balanced as they wear. I think I was just tired of the tread pattern after that long.
I decided on the Nitto' over the Toyo's because of all the current hype on them. Some of the claims are just not there. For example, they do dish out some noise, about the same as the Toyo's but that doesn't bother me. I'm more intereste in wear and weight capacity. I have had to sets of the Toyo MT's and they wore out kinda fast IMO. We'll see how these turn out after 15-20k miles.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
As with any tire an open lug will wear faster and a tighter lug, that will not clean out in mud, will wear better. You have to balance what you want to do, I use the BFG All Terrain which suits my purpose.

Quick Reply: 35" tires for the new truck