Well I finally found someone to build the conversion hangers for me to put 08+ leaf springs on a 99-07 model truck. My parts should be in tomorrow, will probably be next week before I get started. For anyone that didn't catch any of my old thread, I'll try to answer a few questions ahead of time. The main advantage of the conversion is In 2008 the F-250/350 received a longer rear spring that increased payload capacity as well as increasing the ride quality greatly. The 08+ leaf spring is 8" longer than the 99-07 leaf spring. A disadvantage of the 99-07 leaf spring is that the axle is not centered on the leaf spring. In other words, from the axle to the rear spring mount is 8" longer than it is from the axle to the front spring mounts, which adds to the axle wrap problem. The 08+ spring adds 8" to the front of the spring which puts the axle in the center of the leaf spring where it belongs.
First step will be to mount the spring hangers. They are designed to be set against the frame and use an existing bolt hole on the frame to line the hangers up correctly. Once they are lined up, its time to drill some holes. The hanger also takes into account the emergency brake cable, and is built to keep it functioning properly. I'll be posting pictures and adding to the write-up as the project progresses. In the meantime, here is a picture of what the hanger looks like. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need more information.
Hangers came in. I took a couple of pictures. I put a drink can in the picture for size reference. These things are big, well built, and heavy. Almost 25 pounds each!!!
Well I wanted to get everything installed today but it didnt work out that way. One of my pistons on my rear passenger side brake caliper shattered, so I spent the day installing a new rotor, caliper, pads, and a ton of brake fluid lol.
Anyway, while I had the passenger side jacked up and the tire out of the way I went ahead and installed the passenger side 08 conversion hanger.
Here is a pic of what it looked like before I started:
There is one existing hole on the frame for lining the bracket up. Basically the bracket goes up and against the bottom of the frame, and butts right up against the front of the factory hanger. Here is the existing hole:
I went and bought some grade 8 bolts, 3/8" by 1 3/4" long (about 5/8" of shoulder on the bolt), and nylon lock nuts and flat washers to go along with them.
Once I slid the bracket in place, I put a bolt through the hole on the bracket that matched up with the existing factory hole, and bolted snugged it down. Then I drilled out the highest hole (number 1 in the picture) and snugged it down. I used the 3/8 bit and drilled the frame wherever there were holes on the new bracket. I just drilled it a little to mark my spots, the took the hanger off to drill them completely. I used a 3/8" Cobalt bit and some cutting oil and it was a piece of cake. Just remember to keep that bit lubed. Here is a pic of the holes once I had them all drilled.
Then it was just a matter of putting it in place and bolting it all down. Would have been SUPER quick if the stupid muffler wasn't in the way. It makes things hard to get to. Anyway, here is a picture of it all bolted in place.