Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir 1994 Ford F-150 302

Old 06-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Boots01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant reservoir 1994 Ford F-150 302

1). I have a 1994 Ford F-150 302 XLT.......how full should the coolant reservoir be when the engine is cold (1/2 full)??

2). Is the coolant reservoir the best way to check the right coolant level??

Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 AM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
The reservoir is marked with a "cold line".Fill to that level when the engine is cold.And this cold line is about at the bottom third of the reservoir. You need to have the upper two-thirds empty-to allow expansion of the coolant into the reservoir when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

And when the engine is cold-it doesnt hurt to open the radiator cap and check and make sure that the coolant is right up to the top of the radiator cap opening-especially if you are new to the truck .Check this every once-in-a-while this way.

A bad radiator cap wouldnt not allow the coolant to be siphoned back into the radiator. Or if there is a constricted hose from the reservoir to the radiator-the coolant wouldn't return to the radiator. A bad radiator cap could cause the coolant to overflow the reservoir and cause loss of coolant to the ground.And result in low coolant in the radiator.

But usually it is only necessary to check the level of the reservoir when the truck is cold and level.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Boots01
New User
Thank you that was a big help.
It looks i have some more questions:
1). What tools will i need to change a serpetine belt do i have to change the pulleys too??
2). How do i find the right size of the serpentine belt?

INFO

(I'am from Germany and i have my truck in Colorado ........it's my first Ford and i love it, but i think i can't use my tools because we have the metric system........what do you think??)

Is there any other common problems or maintanance that the F-150 90-96 has
that i have to look out for??

Thank you very much

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 AM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Welcome to this forum!!

Take notes and make sure that you know how the belt is routed before removing it. Example:belt is over alternator,over AC pulley,under powersteering pulley,over waterpump,under crankshaft,under thermactor/air pump pulley.

Look at the pulley on the springloaded adjustor.This adjustor will be between the alternator and the AC pulley or idler pulley if the truck isnt equipped with air conditioning.This adjustor will be at a 10:00 position when looking at the truck from the front. There is a 16mm bolt that is securing the pulley to the adjuster. When you have a 16mm wrench on this pulley bolt-lift up(counter Clockwise) and the belt should become lose and you should be able to remove the belt. The pulleys dont have to be replaced-unless they are making noise or have excessive play in them-or the belt contact area is excessively worn. Try spinning the pulleys when the belt has been removed and see if you see runout or noise. If so-then consider replacing .

What problems are you having with the truck now that makes you want to remove and replace the belt?

Try going to a German Ford dealer with the used belt and see if he can order a new belt. I always lay the old belt on the ground and see if the new belt is of the same length-before trying to installing the new belt.

Using the 16 mm wrench-lift up again and the new belt can then be placed under the adjustor pulley.

I would check and/or change all fluids in the transmission,axles,transfercase ect (if 4x4) also.

How are things in Deutschland?? In what city are you located?? Show us some pictures of your Ford truck!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Boots01
New User
Things are good in Deutschland and i have a lot of fun watching the Fussball World Cup
it's like religeon here you know )
I will put up a picture soon ............and thank you for your help again ...........have you ever been to Germany???

Old 06-19-2010, 06:57 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Boots01
Things are good in Deutschland and i have a lot of fun watching the Fussball World Cup
it's like religeon here you know )
I will put up a picture soon ............and thank you for your help again ...........have you ever been to Germany???
No-never been to Deutschland. Would like to some day! Beautiful country!

If you have any more questions-fire away. This is the best website for Ford trucks in the world.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Boots01
New User
Well i hope you visit Germany one day...........

I have a another question:

How much work is it to change the speakers ........i have some in the front door and in the back behind the seat.........what do i have to do and take apart? I think i will not have a problem to change the radio.

Do you have a recommondation for speakers (just normal good sounding ones that will fit in the original fits)??
(Sorry for my bad english sometimes)

Thank you
Thank you

Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
No reason to apologize for your English---I think you write very well.

I spent one year in High School,44 years ago, trying to speak and write German. And if I could write in German as well as you do in English--I would be very proud of myself. My HS German teacher told me that English is the most difficult language to learn-it has the most vocabulary of all of the Western languages. And she should know-she came over from Germany in 1939 as a child.

Having the ability to communicate in a foreign language is a wonderful thing, and you do it very well.

What part of Germany are you located?

The plastic inner door panels have to be removed to be able to remove the factory speakers in the doors--I believe.These inner plastic door panels are secured to the metal door with screws on the bottom and top and by plastic anchors on the sides.I haven't removed mine yet.

The rear speakers ---I am not sure about. Isn't there screws in the plastic panels in the rear of the cab?? I would suggest removing the screws that secure the plastic panel that surrounds the rear speaker housing. And then removing the plastic panel to access the rear speakers.

I would also suggest starting a new thread----and give it a title of :""How to remove factory speakers?"

That would allow someone more knowlegeable to respond to your speaker removal question.

The factory radio can be removed by using "U" shaped "DIN" radio removal tools. Or bent and cut coat hooks in some cases--I have heard. If you look at the face of the factory radio-there are two vertical holes on each side of the radio face. These DIN tools fit into these holes -grabs the radio and then you pull out-and the radio comes right out! Then remove the factory wiring harness that is connected to the back of the radio as you pull the radio out.

Be sure to send us some pictures of your F150. I suspect that trucks like yours are a rare sight in Deutschland!!

By the way-how much is gasoline there??

Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Boots01
New User
Actually my truck is in Colorado, i bought it for the times when me and my fiance come for vacation/visits (she is from Colorado)......or to have men-toy ))
I always wanted to have a V8 so now i have one

Ahhh gas is about 7$ a gallon..........thats why i don't have one here in Germany )