Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Posting Guru

JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Cold A/C Mod/Ranger Valve Mod WITH Pictures!

So, I decided to give it a whirl... it was $20 so what the heck!?

Here's the valve (I had picked one off a Ranger, but the diaphragm was bad):
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's where I'm gonna put it:

Here it is installed:

Down under the passenger's side of the dash is where I "T'd" into the white vacuum line:

A closeup of the whole thing... I managed to save the vacuum lines and a "T" off the the Ranger I got the first valve from so it all looks OEM:

I drilled a hole though the rubber grommet beside the black one that was already in there. It's tricky to find it, but all you have to do is reach behind the inner fender well through the wheel opening and fish around in there for awhile. I found that the valve drops the temperatures about 10*! WOW!!! Not bad for $20... now if I can just get my system cleaned out, I'll be set! PM if you have any questions!
Early 1999 F-250 Lariat 4x4 w/7.3L PSD, AT, SC, LB, 315/75/16's on 16x10's, 4" Lift, 4" Exhaust, HPx, Regulated Fuel Return, Hutch/Harpoon, NVK4 PCM, John Wood Valve Body, 6637 w/Pete's Cover, CCV, EBPV Delete, DP-Tuner, IssPro's - 332,000 miles!

Truck Pictures
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Junior User

roverjoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmmmm...not familiar with this mod, but you're saying this can help out AC system? And get about 10 degrees cooler? Considering it's going to be 90 this weekend in Ohio you may be my new best friend

What exactly is the part that you purchased?

Thanks for your information!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
roverjoe,

The heater core (inside the box under the instrument panel on the passenger's side) has hot coolant running through it all the time. The air conditioner evaporator coil is also in there. Ford controls the temperature of the output duct air by "mixing" the air coming through both those cores.

If you want MAXIMUM-COLD air, you need to shut off the engine coolant running through the heater core. That's what this valve does when in the MAX A/C position.

There are other ways of doing this, including installing a manual valve in a heater hose, but this is automatic, and only in MAX.

This "mod" came from the factory in Excursions.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Senior User

XL1200LTD-Keith is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like the flow thru valve that is used, vs the shutoff.

2004 F250 Cold AC Mod Information

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Heater Inlet Hose

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...S&Category=578
Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Posting Guru

JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjoe View Post
hmmmm...not familiar with this mod, but you're saying this can help out AC system? And get about 10 degrees cooler? Considering it's going to be 90 this weekend in Ohio you may be my new best friend

What exactly is the part that you purchased?

Thanks for your information!
Just as a side note, I wasn't able to find this part at Napa or CarQuest... all they had was the one way valve. The only place I could find that had the valve was Advanced... you can also get it at Auto-Zone. Both of the them have the valve under the same part number, #74809. Just remember to get some vacuum line while you're in there!
Early 1999 F-250 Lariat 4x4 w/7.3L PSD, AT, SC, LB, 315/75/16's on 16x10's, 4" Lift, 4" Exhaust, HPx, Regulated Fuel Return, Hutch/Harpoon, NVK4 PCM, John Wood Valve Body, 6637 w/Pete's Cover, CCV, EBPV Delete, DP-Tuner, IssPro's - 332,000 miles!

Truck Pictures
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Freshman User

taylorjs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will this mod work on gassers?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Posting Guru

I believe so... someone "should" pipe up here in a bit and verify it, though.

Truck Pictures
Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjs View Post
Sure, and for the same reasons.

The engines are different, but the heater/AC system is exactly the same.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
This is certainly on my to-do-list. I see other versions of this mod done with valves that just "shut off" the flow. It looks like the Ranger valve re-routes the flow of coolant.

Are the inlets/outlets on the Ranger valve marked?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Posting Guru

On my valve, it was marked just to maintain OEM orientation, but it can be used either way.

Truck Pictures
Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
is there some way to put it on to where you can control the valve not just on max? like with a switch.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
New User

Trble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any info yet

I have a 99 F250 SD with the Triton V8 will this help this out also? The a/c isn't very good it blows just not as cold as I would think it should.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Good writup.

I have contemplated doing this mod on my 04' but honestly I have mixed feelings as whether its worth it. The reason I say that is my dad has an 03' thats identical to my truck in every way except its a CC and his came with this vaccum switch to cutoff the coolant flow. My truck didn't come with the switch but my A/C is quite a bit colder than his. Both trucks owned since new.

A before and after temperature reading at the vents may make me do the mod. Need to see some evidence that its worth it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjs View Post
For all the gas truck owners out there.... pop the hood and take a look before buying any of these valves --- you might already have one.

I bought the valve to install and went to do it and, surprise, there was already one there from the factory.

Here's some info I put together about this:
2004 F250 Cold AC Mod Information

Here's the valve on mine:

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Hmm. They must put them on CC only from the factory. Mine is an 04' SC and doesn't have the valve. Guess its because of the extra cu ft of the CC.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 96, ac, automotive, cold, f250, f350, ford, max, mod, mods, pictures, ranger, system, vacuum