Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Slow shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 AM
ytlogger
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow shutdown

Sooo.. the other day my '89 7.3 threw a new one my way. Several times in one day I shut off the key and the engine continued to run. By the time I was able to get out and open the hood she shut down. I'm recovering from a hip operation so the getting out etc. takes a little time. I'm sure the key was off and it hasn't happened since, so I haven't had much opportunity to troubleshoot. I have Roosamaster/Stanadyne pumps in equipment, so I've had some experience with fuel stop solenoids etc.. I'm thinking that the key switch is not de-energizing the circuit when turned off;a ground issue or the solenoid itself was sticking but hard to tell until it runs on long enough to test.

My question is, has this happened to others and is there a common glitch to look for?

Most other electrical problems I have had with this truck were simple faults that took diligent troubleshooting and some good advice from this excellent forum to solve.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
That is a new one to me. Just a wag but the shut off valve may be sticking. Might try installing a new fuel filter filled with your favorite fuel additive/lubrisity inhancer and letting it run for a couple of mins. then shut it off and letting it sit overnight letting the additive soak in the pump. Might not cure it but it sure won't hurt it.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:58 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds crazy to me probably very simple just aggravating to track down but deffinatly crazy lol

Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
i would look into the mulitpule rods in the ing. switch area. also is it tilt wheel?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM
ytlogger
Junior User
Yeah, I have had the tilt wheel in the back of my mind, but it has never tilted since I bought the truck so I figured, better left alone. I've seen a few of these columns with troubles.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
makes me glad mine aint tilt then