Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
New User

pathology knight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Searching for rear view camera (not OEM)

i've tried ebay and no luck. i'm sure there's one on there, but i'm not clicking through the 1000's...i've already been looking for 2 hrs.

i'm trying to find a rear view camera for my 07 expy. i don't want one that installs on the license plate for fear of theft. i'm thinking of the bullet kind. the kind where you need to drill a hole (probably in the chrome plastic above the license plate).

criteria:
wide angle
night vision (9-10 LED?)
waterproof
420 lines of resolution or better
600x500 pixels or better
grid/lines on screen when backing up (tough one to find)

if anybody knows of a good one or a link to check, please let me know.

thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Junior User

st381 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try E Coastal Tech. This is a barrel type camera that might fit the bill. There doesn't seem to be any night time LEDs but I found that the reverse lights provide plenty of lighting for normal usage. I recently started a thread regarding E Coastal Tech Lockpick installation and the installation of the BARCAM 221, also from E Coastal Tech.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/95...a-install.html

Great customer support and I get to use the Nav HU screen to view camera. (I used the license plate camera and to be honest, I don't think anyone will steal it as they wouldn't know what to do with it because they would have to cut the 1/2 inch of exposed wire to get it off.) It wasn't an easy project but it was well worth it. I don't think you will find anything else on the market now that comes this close to meeting your criteria in this price range. BTW, the camera is available at other online outlets if E Coastal is sold out. (You will also need about a ten foot extension wire, $8.00 on ebay, to cleanly install screen or hook into Nav.) Here is the link:

LOCKPICK CAMERAS

Miniature Color Camera
MINICAM221
$79.00

DIGITAL MARKING OPTION ON/OFF

STANDARD OR MIRROR IMAGE OPTION ON/OFF

VERSATILE - CAN BE USED FOR REAR, SIDE, FRONT OR BABY MONITORING

WATERPROOF

INCLUDES EXTENDED LENGTH WIRING HARNESS
FOR A FULL 21' OF INSTALLATION
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 AM