Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Grinding/Rubbing noise from front wheel assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding/Rubbing noise from front wheel assembly

I was driving home from work today and when i took a turn at about 25mph i can feel in the floor of my truck and hear some type of grinding noise/ vibration. I dont know how to explain it but u can hear it on the outside of the truck, sortta like a vibrating hummm. I only have 265's so it aint tires rubbing and the brakes dont look like the the pads r gone. It only happens when i take turns though, like if something is binding up or shifting from one side to the other and its making the vibration/noise. I thought it could be brake pads and the calipers not sliding correctly but i dont know. Any thoughts? Help if you can, Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a hub assembly going bad. You have a 2wd or 4wd truck?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
I have a 4wd 2003 7.3 with 193k on it. And now when you say hub assembly you mean wheel bearings and u joints and all? I thought with wheel bearings you can wiggle the tire and it makes noise going straight too and not just on turns. Can going through mud mess up your hub assembly?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Newenglandfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Sounds like a possible wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Newenglandfordjunkie
Posting Guru
sometimes you can't feel them move. Jack it up and use a pry bar and you should see movement.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Now I've never really had to check wheel bearings on a truck before. When using a pry bar should I put it behind the tire n try n move it or through the rim. I just don't get how all of a sudden both fron tires started doing it. I just find it strange that both are possibly goin bad at the same time. Ill lift it with the tow motor wen I get back to work and see. I hope its not bearings tho, that tends to get expensive

Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Here's a good write up on the assembly that we are suggesting that is bad:

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
is there a write up for a 2wd? whats the difference?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Thanks for that site. If that's the problem that's a good how-to page. I'm hoping its not that thought bc I really don't want to spend that much $ and that's a lot of work. Haha. When I left to go back to work a lil bit ago wen I applied the brakes they sqweeked a little bit for about 5-10 seconds. That made me wonder if it could be breaks too. If I had the $ I'd replace the front brakes and hubs. With my mileage would you think it probably is hubs?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Yup, probably a hub. The hubs are good for around 120,000 miles, and borrowed time beyond that.

After replacing the bad one, consider greasing the remaining good one with the procedure here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...pics-here.html

Additionally, Guzzle's write-up on greasing the needle bearing should be applied to the "good" side, too.

Pop

Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Well I'm gunna look into hub parts. And lift the truck up and see how they feel. I checked the bearings a month ago and they felt fine. Also its both sides that r making the noise and they both started making the noise n vibration at the same time not one before the other so looks like I will be replacing both so its gunna be twice the parts. And I'm guessing there isn't any Good bearings left to grease up. Ill let ya'll know if I feel or see any thng when I lift it up. Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Newenglandfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I just replaced my passengers side because it was making noise. When the new one was installed I could here noise from the drivers side and replaced that one to. It is a lot quicker doing the second one.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Get some PB Blaster and a 6-point impact socket to bust loose those hub bolts. Mine were on there real good. A good set of snap ring pliers also.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
they're both installed at the same time, both held up the same truck and drove the same distance. It's likely that they'll both fail at the same time.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kbeefy
they're both installed at the same time, both held up the same truck and drove the same distance. It's likely that they'll both fail at the same time.
That assumes that the lubrication fails at the same time as well, and the first stages of damage begin. That would be logical, and if I wasn't able to intercede in that process, I would be worried about the other as soon as one failed.

My left hub failed at 147,000, and the right one got a whole new load of grease. At 197,000, it's perfectly still doing its job. I check both hubs each time the wheels are off the ground for the earliest signs of failure, and should one begin to feel loose, it WILL get replaced rather than greased. They both now get a filling of grease once a year, and I consider my right hub to be a test of the re-greasing process.

Mine are not the high-timers here, however, as at least one other on this forum has been doing this for many more miles than I, with a resultant elimination of front wheel bearing failures. At least, so far.....

If it's not worth at least an attempt to you, then regularly supporting Timken is surely good for the economy.

Pop

Quick Reply: Grinding/Rubbing noise from front wheel assembly