Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 liter performance mods/ upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
6.9lXLTf250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.9 liter performance mods/ upgrades

hey im new to the form and had some questions for yall. I have a 6.9l diesel IDI and i wantde to give her some more ***.

My dad has a 7.3l excursion with a hypertec chip, magnaflow exhaust and a volant air intake. From a dead stop while towing an armored vehical he kills me! no load in the truck and im running offroad diesel.

Help?

dont want a sled truck just something i can have fun with and still do some work.

Any ideas at all ill take

thanks for your time

Kevin St.Amant

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the IDI forum.

The biggest single mod you can do to your 6.9 is to add a turbo. I think ATS is the only active company still offering a kit for the IDI. But, you can find deals on good used kits on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

If you are wanting to stay NA, there are a few things you can do. Free up the exhaust with duals or a larger single system with good muffler, or none if you like more growl.

Get more air into the engine with a ram air setup. Cut out the soup bowl on the air cleaner lid.

You can turn up the fuel a flat or two. But you need to install a pyrometer before you do to monitor the exhaust temp. Pretty easy to melt pistons.

Jason

Jason

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
dont expect an n/a idi to keep up with a 7.3l powerstroke.it wont.
dont expect a turbocharged idi to keep up with 7.3l with a few mods and a chip either.it wont.
if your looking for "fun" id go with a 460 gas engine.
if you want the idi in peak performance,do as mentioned above and dont forget proper maintenance;
keep the ip and injectors fresh (every 100k miles max)
have the engine timed (every 30-50k miles max)
check and replace the air/fuel filters and oil changes
open up that exhaust and turbo/cam etc,and moose pump etc.etc.
in the end you can have over 200 rear wheel hp,but its gunna set ya back a few bucks to get it,but she'll never be pops 7.3l chipped powerstroke without internal mods to handle twice stock boost.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
6.9lXLTf250
Senior User
ok. thanks.

My friend is putting an internatinol motor in his 2000 super duty. i think its a 444? but is it worth rebuilding a 7.3l turbo and putting it in my truck? The motor puts out around 400 at the rear wheels.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
6.9lXLTf250
Senior User
hey RCrawler,

1/10 or super class?

i have three ax10 comp rigs and a berg

Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 87 6.9 is the preferred motor for performance building, though late 85, 86 motors are just as good with the addition of 7.3 rockers.

Both the 6.9 and 7.3 need head studs in order to raise the boost levels, there currently is no TRUE stud kits for the 7.3, so ultimately you can boost the 6.9 higher.

Installing a stock 7.3 for performance will gain you little if any.

I believe Hypermax is still supporting the IDI.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
2danglong
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCrawler
Welcome to the IDI forum.

The biggest single mod you can do to your 6.9 is to add a turbo. I think ATS is the only active company still offering a kit for the IDI. But, you can find deals on good used kits on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

If you are wanting to stay NA, there are a few things you can do. Free up the exhaust with duals or a larger single system with good muffler, or none if you like more growl.

Get more air into the engine with a ram air setup. Cut out the soup bowl on the air cleaner lid.

You can turn up the fuel a flat or two. But you need to install a pyrometer before you do to monitor the exhaust temp. Pretty easy to melt pistons.

Jason

Jason
i'm seeking better milage. can you dial down the pump ? how, how much ? thanx in advance.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2danglong
i'm seeking better milage. can you dial down the pump ? how, how much ? thanx in advance.
do you have excessive black smoke when you hit the gas petal? if not, then turning it down wont help. if you make it too lean that can do damage, and having less fuel then you need will cause your motor to stress and you will get worse mileage.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
The 87 6.9 is the preferred motor for performance building, though late 85, 86 motors are just as good with the addition of 7.3 rockers.

Both the 6.9 and 7.3 need head studs in order to raise the boost levels, there currently is no TRUE stud kits for the 7.3, so ultimately you can boost the 6.9 higher.

Installing a stock 7.3 for performance will gain you little if any.

I believe Hypermax is still supporting the IDI.

-Enjoy
I think hypermax is about to call it quits if they havent already. ATS still suports the IDIs.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ats is not supporting idi at the moment. they are missing the 3" turn down that comes off the turbo. they said they can not sell any kits since they do not have that piece. they are expecting to get more in around october. seems like every time i call i get a different month it will be ready.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 6.9lXLTf250
hey RCrawler,

1/10 or super class?

i have three ax10 comp rigs and a berg
Nah, wish I had time and money for another hobby like RC cars.
This is my RC. Ancient picture, but I don't have any recent action stuff on my computer.

Jason

Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
do you have excessive black smoke when you hit the gas petal? if not, then turning it down wont help. if you make it too lean that can do damage, and having less fuel then you need will cause your motor to stress and you will get worse mileage.
Wrong, You cannot lean a Diesel out ...

Backing the pump off just makes less power, of course it'll use less fuel, Unless you need to stuff your foot into it deeper to get where you are going.

Fuel mileage is mostly up to the FOOT and the brain that says how hard to push that foot!

-Enjoy

Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Wrong, You cannot lean a Diesel out ...

Backing the pump off just makes less power, of course it'll use less fuel, Unless you need to stuff your foot into it deeper to get where you are going.

Fuel mileage is mostly up to the FOOT and the brain that says how hard to push that foot!

-Enjoy
Correct.

Diesels like this run a variable mixture ratio. At idle its very lean while at full power with a little black smoke showing through the high EGTs, it swings toward the rich side of the scale.

Its not possible to damage a diesel engine by running lean the way gassers can be, since preignition in a diesel isn't possible because fuel isn't present in the chamber until TDC, then the fuel self ignites in a controlled manner according to the injection timing. Running "lean" in a diesel basically means you have extra air flowing through that isn't getting consumed. In a diesel, this actually helps cool the motor and thats why they are so good for heavy pulling all day long.

Lowering the fuel screw will have a slight effect on the timing map, but I'm not sure how much. In my experience, lowering the fuel setting can also make for harder starting although I've heard some say that's not possible. Maybe something was wrong with my pump at the time.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
where and how can you turn up the fuel pump? pics any one?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
where and how can you turn up the fuel pump? pics any one?
Step by step article here:

"Fuel injection pump adjustment article"

Quick Reply: 6.9 liter performance mods/ upgrades