Oil & Lubrication  

Napa Gold 1734 vs Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
blue1ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Gold 1734 vs Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filter

Hoping to get some feedback with this question. I have A 2002 Ford F350 with the 7.3 PSD. I use the Motorcraft FL1995 oil filter which I can get for $10-$12 dollars. The Napa Gold #1734 can be purchased online for $13. Is the Napa Gold a better filter? I think the Motorcraft oil filter is a good filter.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 PM
volksinthevalley
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I alwasy go Napa Gold, never had a problem

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Lets think about this some more.

Since we don't know to what specifications Napa has their filters made, nor do we know when they may change vendors or filter constuction to help their bottom line, (after all they are in business to make a profit) & napa doesn't make engines nor test them for hours on end, to decide how their filter should be made.

But Ford does & has to warranty their product, & specifies a filters construction, inside & out, after all of those hours of testing & engine tear down & inspection.

So it seems to me Ford would likely know how to specify the construction of a filter for their engines, or when any changes may be needed to a filters construction later!!!!

Thus it seems to me the benchmark to meet, is still the manufacturers product!!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
blue1ton
Senior User
pawpaw,

Good point. I think the Napa oil filter is a good quality filter although I never purchased one. On the internet, the Napa 1734 is around $13.00. I called my local Napa and the same filter is $23.00. I have always used the MC #1995 filter which I can get for around $10.00. I think for the money the MC is a decent choice.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great points, all of them in your post, Paw Paw. I agree, although I will say that the WIX / Napa Gold oil filters are well built, and if not using a specified Motorcraft Oil Filter, this WIX / Napa Gold oil filter would be my immediate first choice!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Lets think about this some more.

Since we don't know to what specifications Napa has their filters made, nor do we know when they may change vendors or filter constuction to help their bottom line, (after all they are in business to make a profit) & napa doesn't make engines nor test them for hours on end, to decide how their filter should be made.

But Ford does & has to warranty their product, & specifies a filters construction, inside & out, after all of those hours of testing & engine tear down & inspection.

So it seems to me Ford would likely know how to specify the construction of a filter for their engines, or when any changes may be needed to a filters construction later!!!!

Thus it seems to me the benchmark to meet, is still the manufacturers product!!!!
That would be great if Ford actually did all those things that you mention.

The reality is that the test data likely came from the filter manufacturer. And the specs likely came from industry standards.

Now Ford may specify a more expense filter media, but that does not mean that no one else uses that same media in its filter.

And you forget, Navistar made (and still makes) the 7.3 and it has its own specs, which are public knowledge.

Ford's specs (if they differ from Navistar's specs) are also well-known to the other filter manufacturers. Long gone are the days that manufacturers can void your warranty for not using OEM parts. Just look at the back of any motor oil for the long list of specs that particular bottle of oil meets, include Ford and Honda's specs for 5w-20. So aftermarket parts manufacturers know full well what the OEM's require. It is no big secret.

So while I agree that all things being equal, going with the OEM is a good choice, paying a great deal more for OEM may not be the best choice.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
father/son
Senior User
napa wix

fellows, i would like to point out that napa is actually a wix filter,.
wix is one of the best filter companys in the WORLD. they are used everywhere in just about everything that uses oil. million dollar plural heavy equipment have used them for a long long time. those big diesels cost a fortune to replace and the down time is worse money money money. i have no facts, but i would not be surprised if the stock was actually made in a wix plant. no facts just a hunch. you simply can not go wrong with wix. my op and ex. with big cranes. paul

Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wix is one of the best filter companys in the WORLD. they are used everywhere in just about everything that uses oil. million dollar plural heavy equipment have used them for a long long time. those big diesels cost a fortune to replace and the down time is worse money money money. i have no facts, but i would not be surprised if the stock was actually made in a wix plant. no facts just a hunch. you simply can not go wrong with wix. my op and ex. with big cranes.
============================================
Paul, I agree and knew that about Napa / WIX being the same filter, that's why I posted it like that in my first post. Same with the Motorcraft / Purolater Oil Filters.

I have a WIX Filter 2009 Master Catalog, and you are right, they made a ton of various products. It's as thick as a New York Phone Directory!
Ed

Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by father/son
And Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.

Champion makes Bosch, STP, Wally filters and a bunch of other private label filters.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Part Number: 51734
UPC Number: 765809517349
Principal Application: Ford/IHC Trucks w/7.3L Turbo Diesel (94-03)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 8.093
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=10/30
Burst Pressure-PSI: 385
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.967 3.587 0.340

Looking at the specs, it seems that the wix filters just as good (95% efficiency at 30 microns) and has a higher burst strength (385 psi).

However, with the info listed, we can't compare construction, flow rate, or capacity. Anything else I missed?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
I use the motorcraft filter with no problems, why change a good thing?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Diesel Man 03
I use the motorcraft filter with no problems, why change a good thing?
Availability and/or price.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:43 PM
blue1ton
Senior User
I also stick with the MC #1995 oil filter can't beat it for the money. It's a well constructed filter.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blue1ton
I also stick with the MC #1995 oil filter can't beat it for the money. It's a well constructed filter.
Well, how about an update to your original post. Did you learn anything to come up with an answer? What do you think of the Wix/Napa Gold 1734? Is it a suitable/comparable substitute for the MC 1995?

Quick Reply: Napa Gold 1734 vs Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filter