6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Ford Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
I can assure you these trucks didn't live an easy life...

I'm not making any conclusion here just reported a single senerio that I felt needed to be mention in this thread. I could post more but then I would be called a 6.0 basher so I limited to this one senerio.

There were two different company's truck here. The one with 4 trucks had two trucks with intermittent head gasket issues that didn't get fixed until they were ready to sell them which seemed kinda odd.
I often did they do the schedule upkeep on the truck, how often did they let it idle? Did they do the little things that that if done on a 6.0, it has a full life. I'm not talking about reliability mods, I'm talking about the little driving characteristics that one can do that does not cost one money.

You are intimating conclusion, you don't know the exact scenerio. Or atleast you haven't mentioned everything that you know.

Fleet trucks tend to do a lot of idling. That's a trend that I've noticed no matter what company that it is, they idle a lot. That can lead to head gasket problems. Also I'm willing to bet that they aren't good at waiting til the engine is warmed up(which doesn't take long and if they are in Katy, it for sure doesn't take long(use to do upland bird hunting around there). I'm willing to bet that they didn't. I'm willing to bet quite a lot of things that they weren't aware of that they could have done different. I still work my truck, I do quite a bit of hauling, the extra time that it takes me to do things right with my 6.0 is negligible, it really is. When my truck was stock(for the first 70k miles of it's life it was), I never had a lick of problem from it. Not much problem after all the modding either.

Is there thing, what you say might be correct, but you don't have enough or atleast you haven't mentioned enough, to be as conclusive as you appear to be. It is very much the nitpicking semantics that people hate when I bring up, unfortunately, it doesn't make them any less valid. You really have to know those vehicles to be able to say that it was indeed the engines fault. As far as I can tell, it looks like your either taking the word from people with the company or your taking a techs word on things. I can mention problems with both if you don't know the specifics.

You might be right about your assessment that the 6.0 is a crap engine, but you haven't shown enough that clearly points to that. Either you don't know specifics are you aren't getting into the nitty gritty. Just giving me the company that used the trucks, doesn't do much. Saying general terms like "lived a hard life", what qualifies as a hard life? A lot of people would say my truck lives a "hard life". 90% of the time it's hooked up to my 6 horse steel trailer, pulling damn near every weekend, usually around 800 miles one way. That sucker weighs a lot. This includes the time that it was stock for 70k miles, I'm not counting the time it was modded, just to be clear. "Living a hard life" could also mean that they didn't do their oil changes until every 20k miles(I've known some to do that, I think it is something you have to watch out for in fleet trucks). Is it set up to where their drivers are responsible for the rigs that are assigned to them? If not, the drivers have very little incentive to really keep up with the vehicles. Some places do have some type of system like that, I see more that do not.

I can go on with more. The irony is, if you look careful through the post, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but what I am saying is that you either aren't mentioning enough or you don't know enough despite how conclusive you feel what you have is. You show things that could make a case that it is, but it also doesn't show that it could also be owner issues as well(in some shape form or fashion). You also have to evaluate the source of your information. They may have done something that they aren't telling you about. It may be that they didn't even know it was a no-no, which I wouldn't be surprised with fleet companies, so don't think I'm outright saying that they are lying. Although that also is possible, I've knonw people that tried to sneak in warranty claims when they knew it was their own fault(which more often then not they were successful, for whatever the reason).

Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
I often did they do the schedule upkeep on the truck, how often did they let it idle? Did they do the little things that that if done on a 6.0, it has a full life. I'm not talking about reliability mods, I'm talking about the little driving characteristics that one can do that does not cost one money.

You are intimating conclusion, you don't know the exact scenerio. Or atleast you haven't mentioned everything that you know.

Fleet trucks tend to do a lot of idling. That's a trend that I've noticed no matter what company that it is, they idle a lot. That can lead to head gasket problems. Also I'm willing to bet that they aren't good at waiting til the engine is warmed up(which doesn't take long and if they are in Katy, it for sure doesn't take long(use to do upland bird hunting around there). I'm willing to bet that they didn't. I'm willing to bet quite a lot of things that they weren't aware of that they could have done different. I still work my truck, I do quite a bit of hauling, the extra time that it takes me to do things right with my 6.0 is negligible, it really is. When my truck was stock(for the first 70k miles of it's life it was), I never had a lick of problem from it. Not much problem after all the modding either.

Is there thing, what you say might be correct, but you don't have enough or atleast you haven't mentioned enough, to be as conclusive as you appear to be. It is very much the nitpicking semantics that people hate when I bring up, unfortunately, it doesn't make them any less valid. You really have to know those vehicles to be able to say that it was indeed the engines fault. As far as I can tell, it looks like your either taking the word from people with the company or your taking a techs word on things. I can mention problems with both if you don't know the specifics.

You might be right about your assessment that the 6.0 is a crap engine, but you haven't shown enough that clearly points to that. Either you don't know specifics are you aren't getting into the nitty gritty. Just giving me the company that used the trucks, doesn't do much. Saying general terms like "lived a hard life", what qualifies as a hard life? A lot of people would say my truck lives a "hard life". 90% of the time it's hooked up to my 6 horse steel trailer, pulling damn near every weekend, usually around 800 miles one way. That sucker weighs a lot. This includes the time that it was stock for 70k miles, I'm not counting the time it was modded, just to be clear. "Living a hard life" could also mean that they didn't do their oil changes until every 20k miles(I've known some to do that, I think it is something you have to watch out for in fleet trucks). Is it set up to where their drivers are responsible for the rigs that are assigned to them? If not, the drivers have very little incentive to really keep up with the vehicles. Some places do have some type of system like that, I see more that do not.

I can go on with more. The irony is, if you look careful through the post, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but what I am saying is that you either aren't mentioning enough or you don't know enough despite how conclusive you feel what you have is. You show things that could make a case that it is, but it also doesn't show that it could also be owner issues as well(in some shape form or fashion). You also have to evaluate the source of your information. They may have done something that they aren't telling you about. It may be that they didn't even know it was a no-no, which I wouldn't be surprised with fleet companies, so don't think I'm outright saying that they are lying. Although that also is possible, I've knonw people that tried to sneak in warranty claims when they knew it was their own fault(which more often then not they were successful, for whatever the reason).
Maybe you shoud recommend to all the commercial used 6.0 psd companie's that they shoud "Tip Toe thru the Tulips" when operating their trucks!

BTW... Also to clarify one thing... I didn't say the 6.0 is a crap engine, but it does have design flaws! Stick to the facts my friend!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe you shoud recommend to all the commercial used 6.0 psd companie's that they shoud "Tip Toe thru the Tulips" when operating their trucks!
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying things have to be done differently and but by no means am I saying it can't be worked. Think of it like this, would you do a heavy workout without stretching before and after doing that workout? If you do, then you run the risk of a few issues, much like with the 6.0.

BTW... Also to clarify one thing... I didn't say the 6.0 is a crap engine, but it does have design flaws! Stick to the facts my friend!
When I was saying that I was talking in general terms, I wasn't saying that you said that specifically. I also find it ironic when you say "stick to facts". You point out some compelling things, but they are not in of themselves as strong as you like to think that they are. Atleast that's the case with what info you've presented in your postings, if you possess even more knowledge then that's something else, but I don't know if you don't post it.