Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
Brewing recipes...

Who in the hell is interested in sharing brewing recipes... or even chatting about them. Heck, we might someday have a GTG where a bunch of this fine brew finds it way there for your partaking....

Lets get this chapter chatting... eh.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Elder User

forddude05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unfortunately, I don't have any to share. Haven't tried brewing yet. What do I need to start, Casey?
Washington Chapter, the best in the Northwest!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Posting Guru

...it is the set up costs the equipment that are tough to swallow (pardon the pun). A couple of food grade buckets, a glass carboy, a blow off tube, a large pot (I mean large!) and bottle capper could be the bare essentials.

This is a bare bones set up... for the airlock I have used a food grade large hose about 1 inch diameter, that fits into the neck of the carboy and into a bucket of water. The co2 gases bubble into the water but air does not get back in.

Of course there are the ingredients needed to make the beer... costs for 5 gallons can run from about $20 to $35 depending on what you are making. Comes out to about 27 cents to 70 cents per bottle of beer. Over time the initial cost is diminished...

Google: beer home brewing set up costs...

...and this should give you an idea. Also have patience, relax and enjoy a beer when brewing.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Elder User

Cool Casey, thanks for the info. Sounds like something I could get into!

Now we just need some recipes for me to try out!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Posting Guru

Getting one's *** in gear to gather the stuff and actually make a first batch is the hard part... that and having a wife who understands.

There is a trick I learned when bottling the beer...especially if you have a dishwasher that front loads with the door folding down like a short table. Fill the beer bottles on the dishwasher door, then move to the counter to cap. All the over flow beer mess is caught on the dishwasher door. When you are done filling all the bottles, just shut the door on the dishwasher and all is forgotten.

Will pass on other tidbit gems of homebrewing as I remember them.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys View Post
Getting one's *** in gear to gather the stuff and actually make a first batch is the hard part... that and having a wife who understands.

There is a trick I learned when bottling the beer...especially if you have a dishwasher that front loads with the door folding down like a short table. Fill the beer bottles on the dishwasher door, then move to the counter to cap. All the over flow beer mess is caught on the dishwasher door. When you are done filling all the bottles, just shut the door on the dishwasher and all is forgotten.

Will pass on other tidbit gems of homebrewing as I remember them.
First problem solved... no wife, and currently no girlfriend.

Second problem - cost. The more you explain things, the more expensive it sounds.

Third, where do you get all the stuff?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Snowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputation
When I went to Nick's graduation,,, his roommate had made some home brew. It was black as Hell and I expected to have to chew it!! But,,, it was surprisingly light for a Porter!! Pretty nummy!!!
Official Slackmaster #24 ~ Zombie Survivalist Extraordinaire
Proud owner of ~ 2002 F-250 SD PSD 6spd ~ 1996 F-350 PSD SC ~ 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Posting Guru

If you nose around you can find the stuff pretty cheap or even free. I picked up one brewing kit from a school auction for about half of the retail price, another kit I got from a woman at work who thought she would home brew and never got around to it for years... got that kit cheap along with two cases of fliptop bottles she brought back from Germany that included the German plastic cases.

Some stuff I bought extra... like a third carboy. The wort chiller I made myself for a fraction of the cost... and other stuff I learn I did not need to have at all. The bottles you can scrounge up from friends, restaurants or where ever that use the recap type bottle... not twist tops.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Elder User

Thanks for the info Casey. Google search, here I come!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
When I went to Nick's graduation,,, his roommate had made some home brew. It was black as Hell and I expected to have to chew it!! But,,, it was surprisingly light for a Porter!! Pretty nummy!!!
Actually, I learned homebrewing from a cellmate in prison making pruno:

Pruno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and I especially love the comment in wikipedia, "vomit-flavored wine-cooler".

What makes this comment more interesting is that I am drinking a homemade blackberry mead right now.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
ID CHAPTER LDR

im2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputation
you can find kits online that come with everything you need minus ingredients for about 150 on up...but craigslist is a good reasource too...i missed a great deal the other week a full set up for 100 bucks!!!...i would love to find some recipes too!! as i am growing hopps...i will post a pic of them in a minute..im so stoked.. and believe it or not it was my wifes idea for me to do it! course we do alot of gardening..lol
Micah Munroe BIG BSer#2and Slackmaster #19
Click to join the Idaho Chapter]
1994 F-150 4x4 300-6 5spd w/ 33 12.50 cooper stt tires
1981 Ford Bronco 300-6 aka Billy the Bucking Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGKEN View Post
Micah...the man...the myth...the legend!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM
ID CHAPTER LDR

im2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputationim2tall33 has a superb reputation
this was taken a week ago.. and now they are almost to the top of the wall...they grow crazy fast!

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2tall33 View Post
this was taken a week ago.. and now they are almost to the top of the wall...they grow crazy fast!

Click the image to open in full size.
Oh yes they grow very fast... and they send out runners and send up new runners and the roots can be cut and start more plants or share with friends. Let me know what recipes you are looking for. I have many different kinds including clones of favorites like Mac and Jack African Amber.

I was able to score an old stainless keg that I am planning to cut a large hole in the top to use as a brew pot. I have a propane turkey cooker that works great...

I also made my own wort cooler using copper tubing... helps in cooling the wort down a little faster. Liquid yeast is my favorite and I am starting to get ready to recycle my yeast using agar slants.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
ID CHAPTER LDR

im not sure what recipes i want yet...i am not too familia what beers have hopps in them..other than ipas

Quote:

Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2tall33 View Post
im not sure what recipes i want yet...i am not too familia what beers have hopps in them..other than ipas
All beer have hops in them. The types and amount of hops determine the bitterness (alpha), aroma, flavor and acts as a natural preservative. Hops are used at different stages of the brewing depending on the desired results. Some hops can substitute for others in a similar way.

What kind of hops are you growing?

Common types of hops for bittering are: Centennial, Chinook, Galena...

...for aroma hops there are Cascade, Kent Goldings, Fuggle.

Just to name a few.

Different hops can have different aromas and tastes. The higher the alpha of the hop, the more bitter the beer.

There are some good books out there to help you along. One of the books that I found easy to use is "Homebrewing for Dummies". You can find this book new for about $13 or used for less than $3. Some brew kits come with a good book. Check around for guys making home brew and they might have duplicate books and will give you one. I had duplicates and gave them away to buddies starting to home brew.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter