Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Posting Guru

TheTowingCowboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Peanut Oil Bio Diesel

I have done some reading and they say Bio Diesel made of Peanut Oil will gell up below 60 degrees F. And one of my suppliers who will give me free oil, they use peanut oil. Well I would like to use it, and I got two questions.

One: Does anyone have a 'recipe' for making bio diesel out of used peanut oil

and

Two: Is there anything I can add to it (And other biodiesels) to keep it from geling? I assume mixing regular diesel with it would help but I like some DIY stuff better. I was wondering about adding some 'Power Service' to my batches once there done.

Thanks again guys, been really helpful.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
When the temp gets near the gel point of the BIO, most mix in petro diesel. Alot of us run 20% bio mix during the winter. I've also added diesel kleen to the mix when it gets in the single digits.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
A couple years ago I had a restaurant that used peanut oil which I made into biodiesel. It was in very good condition with an average KOH titration of .5-1.0. It made great bio, but yes, it clouded at just under 60F, and would gel at just under 50F. But to answer your first question, the recipe is the same for peanut oil as it would be for any other wvo.

Aside from cutting it with pump #2, there's not anything out there I have heard of that will lower the gel point of biodiesel. I've 'heard' about some things in the works, but haven't seen any firsthand.

One thing that I have done however is a process called cold fractioning. What I did was to allow a drum of my bio to 'freeze', or gel up during one of the winter cold snaps. A few weeks later when the temps rose and the bio let go, I was left with some clearer bio on top which I pumped off and used, saving the gelled portion for later use in the warmer months. On average I would get 25%-30% of the clearer stuff off the top.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Posting Guru

Okay so pretty much a mix of diesel and bio is what I want to do, to make a sort of 'Winter Bio' and thanks a million binuya, I will have to try that this winter. I really appreciate your guy's help.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
What some do is mix different percentages in sealed containers and leave outside when it starts to get cold. When 50% starts to gel, go to 40%...
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
What some do is mix different percentages in sealed containers and leave outside when it starts to get cold. When 50% starts to gel, go to 40%...
Thats a really kick ace idea, I am so going to have to do that. Man I am excited to start making more bio.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Postmaster

Not my idea to take credit for, just passing it along. There is a lot of info on this forum, hit the "search this forum" and you can about find the answer to any Bio-Diesel question.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Posting Guru

If we can all handle a little humor my first search will be 'Biodiesel as personal lubricant' XD
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Postmaster

that could hurt, especially if there is methoxide left in there...
Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Posting Guru

HAHAHA that it would... well it would make Trojans 'Warming Sensation' seem cold lol.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
I know there is a product out there that will keep bio from gelling. Can't remember what it's called though.

The guy my dad get's his bio supplies from back in Oregon sells it and uses it in the winter.

I'll see if I can find it for you Jesse.
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
Try emailing these guys. My dad used to work at the fire department with him and he's been selling Bio equipment for a long time. He was the one with the anti-gel stuff.

Cascade Biodiesel - vegetable oil, greenfuels, alternative energy, home biodiesel, how to make biodiesel

cascadebiodiesel@live.com
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Posting Guru

Thank you Evan, really appreciate this. I been out int he fields working so havent had time to check on here. Really appreciate this.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM