Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 F350 Headlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
66ca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F350 Headlight removal

i have done a search on here and have come up with plenty of posts about removing the headlight, but for some reason mine must be different. So im asking, how in the word do you get the headlight out? Not to change the bulb, but the headlight housing.
On mine there seems to be no way to get it off other than removing the headlight trim. There are 2 phillips screws on top, but the others that i see in no way are acessable.All of the posts on here talk about removing the coolant tank and taking it out from the backside...but mine must be different. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
The headlight trim has 2 screws on top and 2 nuts on the back of the turn signal / parking light. They are there but are hard to find. Do not overtighten them when reinstalling or they will break off the studs on the light. The parking and sidemarker light are attatched to the bezel.

If your trying to remove/replace the headlamp assembly, its easies to remove those as well as the grille, which is easy and then the header panel. Its the big black plastic part that all these parts mount to. Once its out you can remove the clips on the back of the headlight adjusters. This may sound somewhat involved, but its really not that difficult. Its pretty easy, just takes a little while.

The grille only has 4 screws on top and 1 in the lower middle. The header panel has something like 6-8 bolts in it.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
The headlight bezel (trim going around headlight, side marker & turn signals) is attached to the headlight mounting panel (the part the headlights, turnsignals & grille are attached to) by two (2) screws on top, and two (2) screws attached to the turn signals on the bottom. The turn signals are attached to the headlight mounting panel by two (2) 11mm nuts/studs which are accessable in the engine compartment. The side marker is attached to the bezel w/ two (2) bolts. The headlights are attached to the headlight mounting panel using a "horseshoe" type clip that grips the three (3) adjusters of the headlight.
To remove the headlight assembly you must remove the the grille & headlight bezel with the sidemarker & turnsignal by removing the top two (2) screws and the two (2) nuts form the back accessible from the engine compartment. (Depending on which side {L or R} and which engine {4.9, 5.0, 5.8, 7.5, 7.3} there are a number of engine compartment items you may/will need to remove to access the nuts). If you have the headlight removal tool you may be able to leave the headlight mounting panel on and remove the clips (I end up pulling the mounting panel off and working on a bench less frustrating). Otherwise remove the grille, both headlight bezels, & the headlight mounting panel (8mm bolts, 2 behind side marker are key) put on bench and remove & replace headlight assy. Reassemble in reverse. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Brain's 97 Diesel; 06-14-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: missed key strokes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM
toddobs
Junior User
the header panel seems to have bent around inline with the fender on mine, cant seem to find a way to get it loose there.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
What do you mean by "header"? The plastic headlight mounting panel, or the painted body panel below the headlights & grille? Once you remove the grille, and both of the headlight bezels w/ turnsignals & side markers all hardware should be visable.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The actual headlight is held in by three clips. There are two on the studs on the top corners, and one in the bottom outside corner which is what the adjusting screw controls. Pull the clips off (hard to do without breaking them) and the headlight should pull out of the header panel easily.

I can't remember the exact number of bolts, but the header panel should be bolted on with all of its bolts visible once the corner/bumper assemblies and grill are removed. There's no reason to remove the upper rock guard (the painted body panel just below the headlights).

As Brian's 97 Diesel is saying, I would recommend removing the washer tank, battery, or whatever is in the way, and removing the entire header panel to pull the lights. I left everything in the engine bay and did a headlight swap with the header panel still on the truck. It was a total PIA and took longer than if I had just pulled things apart the way I should have.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
toddobs
Junior User
ok, i got it all off, wat do i do if i break the 3 clips???

Old 07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
toddobs
Junior User
i see the new ones have the black screw thingeys. how do i get it on with them?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Did you break the clips? If yes check a parts store "help" section for replacements. Otherwise FOMOCO ($$$). If I remember right, feed the adjuster through first then the other two mounts and slide the clips on to hold in place then bolt it all up.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
toddobs
Junior User
nothing broke, it's all in and looks good.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
pe_97f250
New User
More Detail on the 2 bottom bolts

Originally Posted by Brain's 97 Diesel
The turn signals are attached to the headlight mounting panel by two (2) 11mm nuts/studs which are accessable in the engine compartment.
I think your post is the answer I need. I wonder if you can add just one more (ok maybe more than one :-)) detail.
I have a 97 f250 Power Stroke. I am trying to remove the headlight lens to polish/clear coat. After much removing of much stuff, I am down to what maybe the two bottom screws that is still holding the bezale in. Working on the passenger side light, looking in from the "removed" grill area, I can see the attachment post and started removing it. It was under pressure, so I stopped and I bet what is holding me up is the other which should be the one closest the fender well.
My question, how do I get to it/ find it? Do I need to pull the battery box?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Lonzo
Junior User
If you have the new headlights you can see where the two nuts go. Use a deep socket through the access holes under the hood. I loosened the water bottle and swung it out of the way, didn't take the battery out. There are pics somewhere that someone posted, I can't find them right now. Take the grill and entire plastic piece out. Use snap ring pliers to spread the little clips out and pull them out. You may need three hands. There is a little plastic nub that keeps the clip from sliding out, I trimmed them off with a utility knife. Included links in case pics don't show.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280759.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280757.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280761.jpg

Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Turx
Senior User
I just asked this the other day and someone posted a link to utube, which shows the entire process. It's here somewhere.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
pe_97f250
New User
Originally Posted by Turx
I just asked this the other day and someone posted a link to utube, which shows the entire process. It's here somewhere.
I will need to learn this site (sorry newbie), but I did goggle you-tube and found one that was a latter model than mine (97). I will keep looking, but if I am looking at the wrong one and you run across it, let me know. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
pe_97f250
New User
Originally Posted by Lonzo
If you have the new headlights you can see where the two nuts go. Use a deep socket through the access holes under the hood. I loosened the water bottle and swung it out of the way, didn't take the battery out. There are pics somewhere that someone posted, I can't find them right now. Take the grill and entire plastic piece out. Use snap ring pliers to spread the little clips out and pull them out. You may need three hands. There is a little plastic nub that keeps the clip from sliding out, I trimmed them off with a utility knife. Included links in case pics don't show.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280759.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280757.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL127.../395280761.jpg
Lonzo, thanks for the pics. I am studying your picture with the grill out. I got the two clips out at the top and have not tried the 3rd. I was going to remove the bezel first. That when I ran into the "2 bolts". Then I started to remove the entire plastic piece (black in your photo) and there are some screws that I cant find.

So going back to the "2 bolts" for the bottom of the bezel.
Zooming in on the top picture, on the passenger side. There are two large holes, the one on top corners are somewhat rounded and the one on bottom is square. Just to the right is a hole, that is right next to the curved area. That one I have, it's the one to the left that I need to look for. I am betting your pictures are old, but just in case you are in the middle and you can take another, can I get close up of the passenger side showing both holes? Better yet if possible get close up of both sides.

I live in Oklahoma and the truck is outside. The weather is a little chilly tonight, not sure if I get a chance to work on it, maybe tomorrow.
Thanks for all you done, at least I know I am on the right path.

Quick Reply: 97 F350 Headlight removal