Sponsored by:

how would you build an adventure vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how would you build an adventure vehicle

my bronco project has been inspired by peoples explorations such as the turtle expedition, adventures in zeldathepete (Florida to Alaska in a custom 53 pete camper) and various stories of range rovers driving to Tierra del Fuego and back, such as the camel trophy

I would someday like to make a similar trip someday, however scaling the Rockies will do for the near future.

my question is this: how would you build such a vehicle that would take on multiple terrains , in temperatures ranging from extreme heat to extreme cold.

ideally I would like to run a diesel, but a die hard 300 is in place, and I have no worries about using the megasquirt fuel injection, and it serves a purpose so that I can run as many different qualities of fuel as possible while being as efficient as possible. and i have been considering building it into a miller cycle engine. the np435 is fairly new and rock solid. the dual range is gear driven, so even in the case of a malfunction it will remain in gear. I also intend on adding e-lockers eventually

as for the suspension, I intend on keeping the TTB, but making it a long travel with bent beams, longer radius arms, etc. and in the back I will add improved spring packs such as those from deaver springs. i don't intend on lifting it very much so i can keep as low of a center of gravity as possible. I have been thinking 3-4 inches with 33's

the interior is going to get alot of dynomat style insulation, suspension seats, slide-in inserts for when the back seat is removed that will include a separate heater, fridge from a camper and some counter space, as I intend to make a separate top that is similar to a flip-pak camper.

a support trailer will also be built to carry extra supplies, fuel and water.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I should also mention that me and my dad are going to build custom front and rear bumpers to improve approach and departure angles, hold lights, winches, and a high lift jack. also on the list is a set of rock sliders that are actually useable. I kept the xcase skid plate from my parts bronco, and i have been thinking about a half snorkel that draws air from the cowl. other waterproofing suggestions are well appreciated.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daaamn.
So many idea's for so many different climates, WHERE TO START?!?

I'll start this off-
Snorkel into the cab. Best place to keep it dry.

Someone else's turn now. :P

Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put 2 cases of PBR and a handle of Crown Reserve in the bed of George and I PROMISE an adventure will soon follow.

Might need an extra can of 110 though

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^megasquirttruf!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
in all seriousness if you want to make an expedition vehicle, starting out with one ton axles would be the first major point. you will be in far off places where you don't want to be stranded because of a simple broken front axle part, so add ton's to your list. and start thinking of ways to cram spare parts in your rig wherever you can find space. you got to remember, the first job of an expedition vehicle is to be as self sufficient as possible.
the rear seat has to go so you have more storage for parts and supplies. tough bumpers f/r was a good plan, but have you thought about winches? the best and cheapest route would be to build in a receiver mount in both bumpers. as to a winch, i would go with a 10 or 12,000 lbs electric model with as much cable as you can get for it. set up a portable cradle for it so you can mount it front or rear, and use weather proof industrial electronic quick connects to hook it up at either end. start looking into on-board air and alternator welders, because like i said you need to be self sufficient in all aspects.

a 4'' lift would probably be the best compromise between suspension travel, center of gravity, and ground clearance, but i would go with a 35'' tire(or bigger) in a tried and proven tread pattern. i am not a big fan of radial m/t tires. i would opt for a SS tsl, or tsl sx in the widest size you can get. the wider the tire, the better the contact patch, and flotation. and personally, i would go with 15''x10'' rims, you can mount just about any 15'' diameter tire on a 10'' wide rim. once you go to a 12'' wide rim, you are too wide to fit most 33-37'' tires that you will find in stock at any tire shop across the country. and with a traveling expedition vehicle, you want to go with common, easy to access parts that you should be able to find at most parts stores in case of a major component failure that you can't carry a spare for, or fix on the trail. i don't really feel like typing anymore, but i will throw this one out there. i know this sounds a little overkill, but if you had the space for it, pack a mini bike, or a small cc dirt bike for a back-up plan. walking 10 miles or better out of the woods sucks when you are in a strange place and stuck/broke down.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Cool sounds like a good read!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
extreme cold is no issue...we have fords...and ford knows heaters LOL

i was thinking about goin red &green show style with my truck and duct taping pontoons all over underneath to make it an overgrown argo .. the tires are gnarly enough to be paddles lol just need to make it float

Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Few comments to add to that Dan. I'm going to multiquote the **** out of this post..

you will be in far off places where you don't want to be stranded because of a simple broken front axle part, so add ton's to your list.
He mentioned wanting to keep the TTB, and doing upgrades to it. I see a prerunner looking vehicle coming from it. Maybe upgrade shafts and joints? Can you do that? Lol.

and start thinking of ways to cram spare parts in your rig wherever you can find space. you got to remember, the first job of an expedition vehicle is to be as self sufficient as possible.
He also mentioned building a trailer to carry spare parts.

the rear seat has to go so you have more storage for parts and supplies.
He is removing this to install a separate heater, fridge from a camper and some counter space,

but have you thought about winches?
He did mention getting winches for front and rear bumpers, but I think a 12k or more would be a good suggestion, as well as a block or two and tons of cable.

start looking into on-board air and alternator welders, because like i said you need to be self sufficient in all aspects.
This seems like a really good idea. I wouldn't have though of a welder, but you make a good point. Dual batteries aswell.

walking 10 miles or better out of the woods sucks when you are in a strange place and stuck/broke down.
I'll assume that this expedition is going to be farther out then ten miles from a town.

I was also thinking about dual radiators with a shut off valve setup. So that in the extreme heat you can turn the valve and you would be running both radiators, to keep the engine cold, but in the extreme cold you can turn the valve and stop the flow to the second set of radiators to let it hold heat a little better.

Also electric fans? Would also help regulate the heat in extreme temperatures.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Lets try to make a suggestion list so far:
  • Keeping the TTB- long travel with bent beams, longer radius arms, improved spring packs such as those from deaver springs.
  • 4 inches lift - 33 or 35" tires.
  • Dynomat style insulation
  • Suspension seats
  • Removing back seat.
  • Separate heater, fridge from a camper in place of rear seat.
  • Support trailer will also be built to carry extra supplies, fuel and water.
  • Custom Front / Rear Bumpers
  • Winches for both ends. At least 10k.
  • Snorkel into interior.
  • Liquor
  • Not going to get into the spare parts, but obviously those.
  • Tires: Super Swamper TSL's or TSL SX
  • On board air.
  • Welder setup.
  • E-Lockers front and rear.
  • Dual radiators with shut off valve. OR Larger radiator for the heat.
  • Dual batteries.
  • Electric Fans

I figured this might be easier to find what has been suggested so you know. Sorry if I missed anything.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
well, for once prozon, you got me. i must have still been half drunk when i replied. i just reread his post, and i don't know how the hell i missed half of the chit that i did. i must've skipped a few parts and paragraphs. but as to the "being further than ten miles out" thing, that's why i said ten miles or better. most places in america are with in 10-20 miles of a roadway where you can find people/help at some point and time. and about the ttb front, i did read that part, and even though i happen to love ttb's with the way they ride and flex, to think that the will last under various terrain with sidehilling and bad angles for steering is just crazy, even on 33's. a d60 would be first on my list for a back country cruiser that i didn't want to break down in the sticks. as far as i know, you can't really do much to a ttb for strength other than dumping a chit ton of cash in one for a very small gain in strength, but it is his truck, not mine
EDIT: DUAL RADIATORS!?! I HOPE YOU MEANT BATTERIES

Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
What Kind of trailer you thinking, needs to be small but still have ground clearance big tires too.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
build one with a custom frame for max ground clearance then slap some tires similar to the size of the tires on the truck on there

simple bias tire for sood strength and side to side traction...good and cheap easy to find

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fatdan460
well, for once prozon, you got me.
Hehe, I won't hold it against you Dan.
EDIT: DUAL RADIATORS!?! I HOPE YOU MEANT BATTERIES
I'm referring to another radiator. At the time I said it, it didn't even occur to me this is a Bronco and there would be no place to put it. Maybe just a bigger radiator lmao. Gotta be able to keep it cool when it counts. If your running two radiators with electric fans it will take a lot more to heat it all up. Then when your in the extreme cold, you shut off the water flow to the second radiator and allow it to heat easier.
But thats a good idea also, and probably a must if your running lights and winches.. a second battery.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
slhf150
Senior User
If going with a trailer, make it carry exactly the same size tires & rims as the truck. In all out emergency you abandon the trailer to get two extra spares.

Quick Reply: how would you build an adventure vehicle