1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1960 Crown Vic IFS, 8.8, 4.6 Swap update

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Romak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want the bolt in setup yes you would need a 03 or newer car. I have also seen the older setups used too but they require alot more welding. as for engine i believe all police crown vics are 4.6 automatic (actually I think ALL crown vics are that way). if your planning on swapping in the motor also I would look for exactly an 03 police car. althow any of them can be used in 04 they went to drive by wire witch would be a little harder to manage, also the police cars did not have PATS which also makes it a little easier to wire and tune. as for Parts if you get a whole car most of it will be there other than maby a fuel pump and regulator, maby guages depending on what you wanna do there, and a set of newer style wheels with the right offset. there will be lots of other nickle and dimes that add up in this swap but its well worth it in the end.

If your just gonna do the IFS and not going to swap the motor there is no wiring involved but if you want to go fuel injected with her there are many other options other than using the stock harness. theres a stand alone system called mega squirt that could be used, or you could buy a carburated manifold and MSD ignition box. those other options will cost a bit more but will leave you more room for DIY tuning.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM
mse871859949
Junior User
Hi Romak,

I have my first 60 f100 and am curious about this swap. I have been searching the web and think it's time i start actually asking some questions. I'd like to do exactly what you have done with your trucks front end.
It appears I can get my hands on a complete 2003 crown vic or P71. I'd like to keep it as budget as possible, reusing and jerry rigging where possible. This is not a show truck by any means, rat rod all the way. I'm fairly certain I can handle the IFS swap, it's the motor swap i'm worried about. This will be my first "real" project.
First question. Do I have the experience and tools?
I have a welder and an engine hoist, apart from the basics are these the only specialty tools I will need?
Second: The motor swap... I'm deathly scared of the wiring but really want the 4.6. How involved is actually hooking up the motor to run properly?
Do I need to fab custom mounts?
Transmission: did you use the auto from the crown vic? any special cross members or does the stock one work?
Can this be done with minimal outside assistance? I will primarily be a one man op.
Ball park price of extra parts if i get a whole running donor car?

I have a billion other questions but for now i want to know if this is even feasible for me. any help!! Thank you

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Romak
Senior User
I dont really get on here a whole lot any more but ill try to keep up with your questions best I can

Its been many years now since I built my truck but mostly everything can be done with a hoist, welder, cut off wheel and grinder, a good whole saw (cant remember the size), tabe measure, and I used 4 sissor jacks that I got from crown vicks out of the junkyard to get the truck level for the front end. you will defenately need another set of hands to get the front end lined up and put in. but once that is done I did everything myself. Measure, Measure, Measure. I cant say that enough.

the motor mounts are attached to the front end so if you move the axle center line forward atleast 3/4 of an inch. once its in the motor should drop right into place without hitting the firewall. my truck already had a 302 with some sort of aftermarket trans crossmember which I was able to reuse so i dont have much helpfull info on that.

as for cost i bought my vic for 1000 bucks. i prolly spend another 600 or so in misc. but I parted out alot of the Vic and stock truck parts and got back prolly close to 1000 bucks. My total envestment was very low when it was all said and done.

the wiring scared me a bit to but I was very carfull, labeled every pigtail as I disasimbled the car and attacked it with a confedint attitude. it is by far the most intimidating part. Its not Easy but it is duable if you can read a schematic, know how wiring works and take your time. mind you I am an ASE master tech so I am fairley knowlagable about how these cars work and what is necessary to run them.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
matts60
New User
I also have recently bought a 1960 f100 and want to do exactly what you have done. I just want to thank you for showing me that it CAN be done. I will post pics as soon as possible... The trucks has had a lot of work done to it and has been kept stock. The straight six has 10k on the rebuild, new clutch, new brakes, new paint, interior has been done with white diamond tuck pleather or leather (cant tell)... All the gauges work, all the lights work. Anyways I originally bought it to flip it, after I brought it home and found out it had a clog in the gas line, got it running and drove it- I fell in love with it. Now I have a real show stopper and will not part with her.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work Romak! Looks like you are going to have a really nice driver. Just a note though, the MII kits that are out there are not the same as Mustang Two original equipment, they are designed for trucks using the original Geometry only. All the parts are much stronger and designed for more weight. But a lot more expensive than what you have done. Nice work.